Safely Taking a Beating

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Eat your heart out!! It is true.
    But I care not if it is believed. Leashes were not yet invented, and all we had were longboards, no guns....
    Long swims after a wipe out!!!

2. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    aint that America!

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Sweet Land of Liberty....

4. Towelie

Nov 27, 2014
  5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    ^^^ I believe that part, but not on 20-22ft faces, not you, no f'ing way lol, I'll believe 10-12, maybe 15 (maybe), after that i'm calling BS. Just an opinion of course :cool:

6. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Barry, show me ONE photo of you surfing anything over head high. ONE

7. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    If you did not care, you would not have trolled (NPD);)

8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Never had the opportunity to surf Tres at 20'+. But I've gotten it a few times at 15'.

Just because you have fear, doesn't mean your a wimp. The fear is half the adrenaline rush. The other half is making it!

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Good thread DP...just catching up on it.

LB, 15' tres is definitely an adrenaline rush. Especially if the offshores are blowing relatively hard....getting over the ledge and down the face is a rush out there. I have never surfed there at 20' faces

10. ScobeyviIIe

Nov 3, 2015
    Barry still rocks the "No Fear" Gear

11. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    lol....he has a "fear this" sticker on his computer monitor.

12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks dude, can't take all the credit though, lots of good posts from everybody, except Barry, I kid I kid!

13. Towelie

Nov 27, 2014
    right in the middle

14. tropic surfer

tropic surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Stop torching your lungs and you'll feel more comfortable in big surf. You need all your lung capacity and more to take the possible wipeout after a sprint paddle, and you feel winded, but you just gotta take that next wave.
    'Cause if you don't someone else will.
    That and paddle power....arms that won't quit. Both will give you plenty of confidence. The rest is mental.

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks for chiming in TS, I'm not sure I agree, but I appreciate the feedback. I'm sure there are plenty of pot heads who surf big waves and it doesn't affect them. Some would say it actually increases lung capacity. Others like yourself would disagree. What to believe?

16. ScobeyviIIe

Nov 3, 2015
    Nthan.JPG

17. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Yea, same here. I hate the paddle out beat down when you're already winded, especially when you are almost outside, wheezing, and a big ass set walls up and implodes right in front of you. That sucks the worst.

18. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Thought I'd add this. But again I surf the east coast, no DOH days here. But I surf it as big as it gets. I feel the takeoff is key. For me personally, if I go down its on the takeoff. Once up and riding its rare I get a heavy fall/hold down. Of course there are exceptions, like when a wave closes on you. But MOST of the time, if you have a good takeoff, your good. And if your not at least your in better position to avoid danger. When it's small I'll go for a wave that I'm not 100% sure I'll make, just because I want it and it's small. When it's big or sketchy, I'll pull out if something dosn't feel right. You know when your paddling for it if things feel right or not. Some may day that's not going for it out being scared. I call it being smart

19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah mon, nothing wrong with being selective, but I find the longer it takes to get that first one the more my mind starts F'ing with me

20. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    100% ^