semi gun sizing for double OH El Porto

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by elementdtlop, Feb 7, 2017.

1. elementdtlop

elementdtlop Active Member

May 6, 2012
    I have been surfing a while. I have surfed in NJ most of my life. I have surfed bay head and deal overhead barrels, but have never really needed anything more than my 5'6 mini driver clone. I moved to socal and have started surfing el porto a lot. for east coast perspective its like those spots, a sandbar beach break, but holds at double oh or so. it was definitely too big for my 5'6 the one day and too big even for my 6'3 step up. it was like double overhead or so and just so much water moving getting out was a nightmare in itself. if you youtube el porto surf youll get an idea of size wise. it was moving faster than most of the days shown though. where should i go from here is my question? i see a lot of boards on craigslist in the 6'10 to 7'6 range. should i be looking around that range?

2. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I have a 6'8 round pin Merrick K- step if you want to buy it. Board is in perfect condition and Will handle as big as you want

3. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Don't be afraid of trying a board in the 7' range or bigger. You might just like it!

And yes, you need a bigger board then a 5'6 for waves like that.

Here in Belmar we ride 10'4 elephant guns when it gets huge. After that seldom will bring the ski down

4. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I have a 6'6 that i really like for bigger stuff. Usually when traveling as when it gets big here, that 6'6 is to much board. The waves iv surfed with it maybe not quite as big as your talking. But my point in bringing this up is that it's thick. Id have to go pull it out to check the exact thickness. But it really helps add a ton of float and paddability. I have a other 6'6 that is of normal thickness and the difference between the two is extreme. Sure, thicker board is harder to sink a rail and rip a big turn off....but for me when it's big, i ain't going for turns.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  5. Turk182

Turk182 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Tyler Hatzakian at the Jetty. Google it.

6. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    A jet board in the 5'9" range may be the answer without having to add much length

7. elementdtlop

May 6, 2012
    ya like that. how big is that board though?? it looks like a single fin too thats crazy

8. elementdtlop

May 6, 2012
    ya i think i might actually want to go bigger than 7'. its all about wave count and getting into those waves. nothing fancy.

9. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013

Stay 7' and narrow, but a bit thick 2.7". Any longer and if you're not used to length,it will be too cumbersome. The extra thickness will add speed and momentum and get you down the face.

Or get a jet boart

10. Turk182

Jan 26, 2017
    Which board? The Tyler is a 10'0. Single fin. No leash. Tyler is a beast. That's el porto right?
    Not saying go that big but a serious wave needs a serious board.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  11. elementdtlop

May 6, 2012
    ya that looks like porto and thats size im talking about. it gets heavy as **** too

12. Turk182

Jan 26, 2017
  13. elementdtlop

May 6, 2012
    that looks like it has a ton of thickness to use for paddling. id prob want something a little more "standard" but thats nice looking though

14. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    what's the thickness and width of your other borts? you might be able to sacrifice some length if you put the volume elsewhere

15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I'd recommend a 7'0 rounded pin. That's what I ride here in North Jersey as big as it gets.

When it gets DOH, and if you feel your step-up isn't handling it, go into the semigun/minigun range. It will put more rail in the water, and at those speeds you'll appreciate the added stability and confidence that comes along with it.

16. PA_KOOK

PA_KOOK Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2016
    All the cool kids do stepoffs when it gets OH

17. zagaff3r

zagaff3r Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2016
    How big and tall are you are would help. For a legit semi-gun you are going to want to go a good 6-12" longer, 1/8"-1/4" thicker in the middle, and probably a good 1/2"+ thinner in width than your good wave board. Also, different waves are going to want different boards. If I'm paddling out at Swamis I want something that can handle a slopey wave, thicker rails, wider in the middle, fun gun vs something like Big Blacks or Harbor where I want a pointy, foiled out, speed chip. Duck diving boards like that takes practice, but it can be done. Practice with a longboard until you can get those under OH+ waves and it gets a lot easier, never easy though. You can find tons of barely used ones on Craig's. Speaking of which, I have one in San Diego in excellent condition that I could part with.

I haven't used a step up bigger than
    a 6'6 since last winter. : (

this winter kinda sucks

18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    That's sound about right to me. My good wave board is 6'4 x 21 x 2 11/16.

My "East Coast Gun" is 7'0 x 20 x 2 13/16... I think.

Here's something similar for a smaller guy... so it's much narrower.

attachment.jpg

19. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Beautiful boart!

20. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    It's for sale... BO