Shedding the Gear

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by nalu222, Mar 22, 2010.

1. nalu222

nalu222 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    What will the water temp be around when we will not need to wear gloves or booties anymore? It has been a long winter. :cool:

2. XxsurferxX

XxsurferxX Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Um at this rate not to long. People today were wearing no gloves and boots at Surf City. I know last weekend there were a couple of guys that were not wearing gloves at cb. Me personally am giving it about another two weeks before all that come off

3. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    ive been going gloveless the past two or three weeks. it will be a few more weeks at least until i shed the booties.

on a side note what thickness boots do you guys wear around SENC? i have 5mm booties now and am thinking about going down to three mil for next cold season. i cant decide tho... any advice?

4. eclipse13

eclipse13 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    I took my gloves off a few weeks ago. It was a little chilly but not too bad.

Headhigh, I've got cheap 3mm oniel booties and they work fine.

5. XxsurferxX

Jan 23, 2010
    I have the 5mm xcel drylocks. been wearing them all winter and have not gotten cold in them at all. Ill stay out for like 5 hours and my feet are just as warm as when they went in. I think with the water being up to 54 i think you can shed the 5's if you you want to wear the 3's.

6. whitewater

whitewater Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I've shed the gloves for good until next winter. The booties aren't too far away. Lately there has been no need for booties after the morning.

***random side note, the chic holding the board in this "meet surfing singles!" ad on the right hand of my screen is really cute***

7. XxsurferxX

Jan 23, 2010
    Sweet so you guys are lasting pretty long without them? i mean i love being warm and i have 2mm Rip Curl gloves do you think its about time to pull those out? I have been wearing the 3mm dry lock gloves

8. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    i can go about 2.5 hrs without gloves before i start to get the claw. you should be good to go with the 2mm gloves if you want to be toasty. i just picked up a pair of 3mm dry locks for next season. sooo nice, but i feel like they would be a bit overkill as long as its relatively nice out.

9. sjsk8rmile452

sjsk8rmile452 Member

Mar 4, 2009
    this is my system

40-50 degrees- 5/4/3 wetsuit, 5 mil gloves,boots
    50-55 degrees- 4/3, hood optional, 3 mil gloves, boots
    55-60 degrees - 4/3, 3 mil boots, gloves optional
    60-65 degrees - 3/2, boots optional
    65-70 degrees - 3/2 or spring suit
    70-75 degrees - spring suit or wetsuit top
    75 degrees + - boardshorts, wetsuit top if air temps are cold.