Short Sleeve Full Suits what your take on them

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by MATT JOHNSON, Aug 30, 2011.

1. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I have been toying with the idea of getting one. My I am kinda on the fence about cause if I need a fullsuite then why just not where a long sleeve one. I was going to get the Hyperflex Cyclone one cause for the amount of time it will be use I just dont see payin more than 100 dollars on a suit that I can only use for 3 months out of year and in them months only use a handfull of times.
    Anyone use on of these ??? Would this be a good addition to the Wetsuit gear?

2. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I do but it is my older Hyperflex 3/2 that I cut the sleves off. You would get more use than you think out of that suit. I wear mine all the time when it's chilly and it's way more comfortable than when the sleeves are long. Mornings or late afternoons in the summer or those days when the water upwells, it's perfect. Even has it's place in September to early October. Be sure and get one that is 100% superstretch.

3. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Alot of my friends at Chincoteague wear them all summer. Keeps the muscles warm and very flexible. Get the lightest one. Its like a second skin. One of these days I'll pick one up. The Xcels are nice.

4. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    their the best suits ever. most flexible, most comfortable, most warmth to lightness ratio ( i believe). more comfortable than a springsuit, and i will even go as far as saying i like wearing mine (2mm quiksilver cypher chest zip, got for 100 bucks also) more than boardies since i NEVER get a rash from it and surf the best in it.

5. Kinkyreggae41

Kinkyreggae41 Member

Jul 19, 2007
    i have a west 2 mil one that i love. I hate wearing spring suits so it works out.

6. rDJ

rDJ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007

+1

Short sleeve fulls are my favorite suit to wear. I love wearing boardshorts, but I'm actually more comfortable in a short sleeve full. Your legs don't rash and you don't have to deal with an uncomfortable neoprene top.

7. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i wear mine pretty frequently, too. esp. in the early summer when the water's still kinda chilly but the air's gotten warm. way more comfortable than either freezing in boardies or sweating out the session in a 3/2...& like others have said, it's great for those summer up-welling days (i wore mine for both sessions on friday) & early fall days. if i'm driving to surf between june-early oct., i pack it. it's pretty much a summer necessity for me.
    the only thing i don't like about it is if i have to swim after my board while surfing leashless; water tends to shoot up the arms, which is pretty exciting when the water's chilly! but i think that might be a quirk of the one i have: the rip curl e-bomb pro. otherwise, it's a great suit & super comfy.

8. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    love mine. lots of flexibility and you don't roast.

9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I've said this before... by the time I want full legs, I want full sleeves, too. You wear a spring suit if the water's warm enough that getting flushed isn't an issue. Because water does get flushed up short sleeves, whether the legs are long or short, I either want to keep water out or I don't. My springer's for when the water's warm and the air is cool... perfect this time of year. I wore one yesterday. I don't want to wear extra rubber that I don't need, so I go straight for the 3/2 full only when the water is cool.

10. wang

wang Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Haven't worn my spring since I got a short-sleeve full. In fact, I don't think I've worn my neoprene top more than twice since then either. It does the trick more times than not. Feels less restricting thann the top too b/c of less rubber on your arms. I can deal with more rubber on my legs, just not my arms. And..... to the dedicated srping suit guys: who likes pinchng rubber bands and crotch-riding nut hugging short legs? Not this guy.

11. ripturbo

ripturbo Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    frog eyes not comfy

12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Hahahaha! yea... you're right about that, brother. They do tend to ride up on ya.

13. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I wore my short sleeve full for most of the summer. There was some upwelling for most of the decent swells and it was a little chilly and breezy at first light so it was perfect for dawn patrol when I would be chilly in trunks.

14. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    my 3/2 is getting retired after this fall and the sleeves are getting chopped off. i'm actually considering having a professional do it and sew ends over...

15. bushwood

bushwood Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    I have a old ONeill short sleeve full, still kicking but on its last leg, and like others i love a short sleeve full. Quik and Billabong both make a decnet chest zip short sleeve full for decnet money that has great stretchy neoprene. I know down here in the summer especially on the outer banks when the wind blows striaght west evely lightly for two days we get upwelling, 60* water 100* outside and these are the perfect suit for it. The great thing is you wont use it enough to wear it out quickly so you can use it for years on end. My current short sleeeve full is like 10 years old, paid $100, use it about 10 times a year, so basically it has cost me a $1 a surf for ten years, keeps me in the water longer, i will pay $1 everytime for that and its not restrictive because the neoprene is thin, i can only imagine what the newer 2 mil super stretchy short sleeves are like, espcially chest zip, paddling will be like wearing a rash guard

16. DrPin

DrPin Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2008
    I took an old 3/2, cut the sleeves off, and it has been quite nice for two years (no fraying). You definitely don't need to pay someone to do it. Cut them longer than you think you will need though. You can always cut them shorter later.

17. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Cool well its settled then . I am gonna swing over to Wetsuit World and see what they have in my size . Seem like this will be a good addition to my wetsuit collection

18. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Should get a good deal this time of year since the stores are thinking winter now.

19. ripper4184

ripper4184 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2007
    waste of money

dont get it, your better off getting one of the 2 mil tops. all u need is a 3/2, a 5/4, and a 2 mil top. spring suits and those short sleeves are definitely a waste.

20. TheWizard

TheWizard Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    not if you got money to blow cuz $$