Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Jun 19, 2013.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking about my current situation. Currently I live / work 2hrs inland, been doing so for the last 8-9 years. The job I currently have has enabled me to buy new boards and all the accessories I need to enjoy surfing as much as one can living inland.

I've been able to afford gas in my vehicle to drive 2 - 2.5hrs each way to the East Coast every weekend, and 45 minutes each way to and from the Gulf during the week / after work when there are actually waves. We take mini-vacations and stay 3-4 days on the E. Coast about every 6-8wks, and have taken two trips to Puerto Rico in the last 6-8 months and will be doing the same thing every year or so to someplace similar. So although I live inland I'm able to surf pretty frequently, just not as much as someone that lives right there.

With that being said, i'm trying to figure out if I should be content with my current situation and just continue to make the most of things without living right on the coast or at least less than 30 minutes from it or if I should start finding a way to get closer to the water. Driving as much as I do is NOT fun, but I've been able to condition myself into thinking it's not all that bad because the end result (surfing) is always worth it, which it is. But like all things that require that much commitment, sh*t gets old and you just want to simplify things. If I lived right on the beach or less than 30 minutes from the water then I'd be able to fulfill my dream of surfing daily (conditions permitting), but it would require a complete life change I believe.

I'm not so sure we could find jobs that pay us well enough doing what we do or something similar in a coastal area. Not only would the job situation be a challenge, but so is convincing my wife that we should move further away from our parents / family and closer to areas that get affected worse during hurricane season. I think if money / jobs weren't an issue for us I could convince her of the move, because we would still be driving distance from the family if we needed to visit. It just wouldn't be as often as we do now.

We're getting close to being 100% debt free, and will soon be able to save some money and plan to buy a house, so this has me thinking. If we buy a house in the area we are currently in, it'll pretty much solidify what's going to happen for at least the next few years, BUT, if the right pieces were to fall into place, we could find ourselves on the beach or just over the bridge...

What would you do? And How would you go about doing it?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  2. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'm about an hour from the closest wave, and as much as I would like to live closer I have a house(that I like, w/ a fenced in yard for the pooch, which I need). As much as I would like to be closer, it's just not in the cards at the moment. I would say that if you're still renting, and thinking about buying, make the plunge and buy closer to the coast...even if that means taking a cut in pay or whatever, just buy something you'll be able to keep up with in anticipation of a lower wage. My $.02.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

3. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    if your married, that's a tough one. if you aren't and dont have any real commitments, GO. you wont regret it. im still in school and i still live it home. i just commute to save money. convinced my mom to move two blocks from the bech. best move we have ever made in my opinion. im lucky and i appreciate it everyday that we did it.

4. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks, that's definitely what I would prefer to do. We are currently renting, this would be my 1st home purchase (renting for the past 14 years), I know once we buy that we'll be sitting put for a little while, so I don't want to make the wrong move ya know...

5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yep, newly married, No kids, 1 dog, renting a townhouse.

6. lifethrillz

lifethrillz Member

Jun 19, 2013
    take the pay cut if you have to and buy a reasonable house. If you think you surf enough now you have no idea how much more you will once you live close. You can still budget trips and whatever else you want to do all you have to do is have the will to make it happen. you your wife and the dog will be much more happier. Make the drive for the family visits not the ocean visits :cool:

7. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I went through the same thing that you are going through now. I had to leave Charleston for work back in 2009 (thank you fugged up economy). I ended up in Richmond, with a really good job. I went from engineer to project manager, and was very good at what I did. After a couple years of dealing with the commute back and forth to the coast every couple weeks, I decided I couldn't stand living inland. All I did all week is dream about being on the coast. After a year of searching, I found an engineering position in Charleston. However, this position was still a step back from project management. I ended up going for it, as the pay was slightly better. In the end, I am happy to live in this area. I don't particularly like my job, and it isn't really a challenge, but I work to live. Nothing feels better than getting home after work, loading up the board, and heading to the beach. I will hopefully find a project management job down here eventually, but I have no regrets about the decision I made.

8. Dudicles

Dudicles Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I'm going to guess that you are still young (I think I remember seeing you were in your early 30s) and it doesn't sound like you have kids and you don't own a house. I would do it man. You don't have many roots down besides family and honestly, I like to keep my distance from them although free childcare is pretty nice. We moved to Wilmington a couple years ago and surfing was the furthest thing from my mind, but now I totally appreciate being a 15 minute drive to the beach, but still think "what if we were closer, that would be awesome". Maybe someday, after the kids are growed up we'll get a place on topsail or CB.

And I'm paraphrasing Braveheart but "And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to live near the beach and tell your families that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR SURFING! "

9. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    One thing to consider is the atmosphere surrounding water activity centric communities. Even if you aren't right near the beach there is a laid back atmosphere that is usually prevalent once you get near communities that have a lot of waterways and/or beaches. Having grown up near the beach and bay I can't imagine leaving the area for an inland suburbia even if I never surfed another day in my life. With that being said and after seeing some of the real estate that's for sale in FL I'd say keep your eye out for all of the pieces falling in the right places.

10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks for the advice and welcome to swellinfo, I think you're right, just gotta figure this thing out so that it's a seamless transition.

11. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm 2-2.5 hrs from the coast. It's the west coast, so there's almost always a ridable wave nearby, but the water is freezing. I liked it better when I lived in florida, but then it was flat for weeks at a time and I'm conveniently forgetting about the hoards of roaches and mosquitoes...but I digress.

whatever you do, I would take the parents/relatives out of the equation. You've been right there with them for 14+ years and you'll still be within relatively close driving distance wherever you go (in fla). Sounds to me, now's your chance to move where you want...before you get really stuck. You've been in the same place long enough and it appears you're ready to move on, and up

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  12. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    True, LOTS of real estate in FL, and tons of good deals since the market crashed, but I think the key is going to be to buy within the next 3 years before it goes back up too much. I pray for these pieces to fall into place, but it's going to take a bit more than praying, wishing, and wanting, it's going to take a huge effort.

14. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Glad it all worked out for you man, hopefully I can pull off a similar manuever one day.

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Love the Braveheart paraphrase, one of the best movies ever, and couldn't agree more!

16. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I believe you are right, i've technically been in the same area for my entire life so I really could use the change.

17. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Stay where you are but keep your options open for the right job and location, it sounds like there's plenty of time to make the move.

I live 15 minutes away from the beach here in Jax, and I'm trying to get closer, like looking at out of my window close, so I won't ever have to rely on cams ever again. I actually have my eyes set on a place in Melbourne sometime down the road if everything falls into place.

18. David

David Well-Known Member

May 24, 2006
    Do it before you have or start thinking about kids, once that happens, you can forget it, or it will be 100 times harder.

19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I definitely have time because I would like to pay off all our debt first and save up a little bit of coin to make the move possible, my guess is we'll be in a good position in about a year or so. Any longer than 2 years and we could end up stuck because of what David here says...

The main obstacle is going to be finding new jobs before we move and finding a place to live all at the same time. I don't mind taking a bit of a pay cut to be closer to the water, but there is definitely a line I don't want to cross, as my wife isn't going to be too thrilled about being broke just so that I can surf daily (she doesn't surf really).

+1 Hanna, everytime I have to get in the car and head home I think about this. I go through this mixture of emotions, on one hand i'm stoked I just got a session in, on the other i'm sad that i'm leaving and won't be back for a about a week, maybe longer depending on conditions, and I know that it'll be really good during the work week, so I will have to watch it on the cams while i'm working...

20. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    I live on the ocean. Will never move inland, I don't care what "boss" I enter a nuptial with. There is nothing, I repeat nothing, like sitting on your porch before bed and listening to the ocean talk to you as you see the clearest sky you've ever seen and you smell salt water. Well, that is until you see the sun rise on said ocean. Nothing like it. You can waste away to a skeleton and be content with that view. I type this on my phone as I lay on my porch swing that gives me a permanence these beach denizens in front of me dream of but don't realize they can have too. We can have anything we want.

Onto the surfing. I'm a mile from a more than adequate beach break and 30-45 minutes from several more if I get bored of the home break. I've done dawn patrol each day this week and while we are in the summer swell (lack of) there was still a solid 30 minutes of couple footers clean enough to have fun on since I timed the tides right. Wake up, grab board, step into liquid 5-8 minutes later. Eat breakfast, shower, start the rest of your day. By that time, everything else is a bonus. And we haven't even talked about the days it's cranking and you can get out 2-3 times in a day without lost time from driving.

I know what you mean when you talk about commitment. I've gone anywhere for the things I love. When you can bring them into your habitat is when the afterlife becomes an extension of the present.