Shoulder Surgery

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by endlessummer89, Mar 10, 2010.

1. endlessummer89

endlessummer89 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I am so f***** down about this but hopefully it will all work out

In the first week of April I am getting Labrum surgery on my left shoulder. Has anybody else on the boards had this surgery? If so how was your recovery. I am going to Brazil February 2011 and I am praying I am all fixed up by then.

2. paddleout

paddleout Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I just had the torn labrum surgery (Bankhart Repair) 2 weeks ago. Already I have a ton of motion back and do physical therapy a few times a week.

My doc says 3-4 months for full contact sports, and that the recovery should be about 100% of regular motion. So, I'm figuring 3 months back in the water, but 4 months for hockey, to be safe.

Looks like you should be fine for your trip, according to my doctor's timeline...

PS: Strongly suggest the electric ice bucket that continually sends cold water to a shoulder strap - it helps alot. Good luck!

3. johnsonG

johnsonG New Member

Mar 10, 2010
    endlessummer89,

I feel your pain man, stay strong!

I tore the labrum of my left shoulder (skateboarding fall, don't try to catch your fall backwards with straight arms) and had surgery (frontal / open joint, not just arthroscopic) for it December 23rd, 2009. The first time I surfed after the surgery was July 5th, 2010. I was very religious and dogged with rehabilitation. Really, I probably did too much for it and it slowed down my overall heal time b/c I thought I could re-hab faster if I tried to be superman in the gym (i.e. 2.5 lb dumbbell RC raises, rawr!). But honestly, the shoulder joint is SOOOO complicated (the most of all in your body) that you just have to give it due time to heal. There is no other way. Once you've gone through the pain of 4 solid months of grinding re-hab (and this isn't fun by any means, its quite arduous and you need to be disciplined, but take it day by day, week by week, monitor and be excited by your (very slow) progress in strength and flexibility, and you will make it), another 2 months for complete recovery outweighs the risk of not properly fully healing it and thereby heightening the probability of a re-injury. In all truthfulness I still haven't recovered the strength/confidence level in my shoulder that I would like, and I probability never will, but all I know is that I can surf no problem (a couple weeks of no paddling takes a toll on the joint the first time out again, but then it gets used to it). So I'm totally satisfied with the procedure and the surgery was a complete success. All I can say is that they ARE NOT LYING when they say that labrum/RC rehab is one of the hardest things to do. It really is. My knee surgery, appendectomy, and various other ailments pale in comparison for the actual time it takes to recover from the shoulder. That being said, the shoulder feels fine now (i.e. I'm comfortable in it's inferior state - your actions and body in general will adapt to taking care of it and shielding it, i.e. falling on your right side instead, etc), its just you must be prepared mentally for 5-8 months of grueling, disciplined, recovery, with the knowledge that your shoulder will never be the same (but obviously hopefully better than its current injured state).

If you know you can do it, if you want to heal yourself, then you are doing the right thing.
    I was so fearful going into the surgery of all the ramifications, but you gotta do it if you can't live the way you are now w/ your injured shoulder.

It's hard medicine to take, but I swear to you man that the first time you're back in the waves after being healed - not only will you take a new, more mature, more appreciative, more respectful and happier approach to surfing (or w/e you do in Mother Ocean) - but you will also know that you are a stronger person for going through the struggle.

It is worth it, and I have total sympathy for your situation, that's why I wrote a goddamn essay. I felt very alone when I went through mine - but we do exist and I give you my best wishes.

Sincerely,
    G

4. endlessummer89

Jun 30, 2007
    paddleout and Johnson G, Wow! thanks for the responses guys they were really sincere and helpful! I'll get over this thing and most importantly i'm going to cool it on all this weight lifting crap when i'm healed and focus on what is most important in my life, sufing...

5. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah, i have never had a shoulder problem, but I was out of the water for 3-4 months about 6 years ago due to a crazy staph infection that I got in my leg from surfing in dirty water... But the 3-4 months I was out of the water, I spent everyday sitting on the cliffs and up on the pier, just watching surfing. Studying it. Studying all of the details by just watching. Sometimes it hurt to watch, but after that 4 months, i was in the water for a week and had developed light speeds in my time off. If you focus on surfing, and stuff like that, you will be better in the end. Taking a little time off to reflect on surfing is a good recharge.... I went out and tried to watch the best local pros and stuff I could find everyday, studying ttheir surfing. Studying the way they did airs, and went after barrels, just taking mental notes, frothing... And when you are able to get back in, your surfing will be better than every. Just let yourself heal up. sometimes you just gotta do that.

6. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    I have had my left shoulder repaired twice (they didn't fix the problem all the way the first time).

I needed the surgery, due to repeated dislocations. I am glad that I got the operation, because my shoulder was coming out all the time. After the second surgery, I have not had any dislocations at all. The negative side to this, is there is definitely noticeable loss of range in your arm motion.

My advice tho, is after surgery, take the necessary amount of time to recover. Whether the doc says 1 month or 6 months... follow the directions, because it is worth it to miss a couple swells in the long run. And also, after surgery, rehab as much as possible to strengthen the muscles back up.

7. Krappenschitz

Krappenschitz Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010
    shoulder x-ray

dislocation due to spacing hard/falling off the side of a jump at mountain creek.

Attached Files:

8. snowbird

snowbird Active Member

May 19, 2008
    Hey Endless, you just got some good advice from the folks on here. I too had a labral tear repaired back in 2000. The rehab is brutal but you have to do it like it's your job. I experienced probably the most painful events of my entire life doing the rehab. Sucks but crucial. Also, whoever mentioned getting the shoulder icewater machine, GET IT!!! Lifesaver during the early weeks. I think most people who focus on and comply with rehab ultimately get good results and get back close to where they were before the surgery. Stay positive and be patient and do the rehab. Don't know how old you are or how hard you charge your physical pursuits, whether it be surfing, hoops, lifting, or whatever, but just recognize you're just going to have to take your time to get back to a level you expect to be at.

Last, remain cautious about potential for developing post-surgical arthritis in that joint. Happened to me unfortunately and I'm looking at a shoulder replacement in upcoming years. But, this is an exceptional scenario, so stay positive and don't focus on that.

9. stoneybaloney

stoneybaloney Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Ooouuuccchhh.

10. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    bface..... ****ttttt, that looks like it was painful!

11. Nails

Nails Active Member

Nov 26, 2008
    bface WTF?

Hey bface, just curious what exactly does spacing hard/falling mean?

12. Krappenschitz

Mar 11, 2010
    Spacing hard/falling interpretation

Spacing hard/falling simply refers to two to three beers on an empty stomach and going hard on the last jump of the last run of a sun out, balls to the wall day of riding up at mountain creek with a buddy.

Rehab for 4 months, was out of water for about 6 months. Doc told me 6 months post surgery and no less to get back in water. Worked hard and was back in water 3 months post surgery.

I had 8 screws and 4 plates put in and this is the aftermath. Don't mind my sweater:

Shoulder hurts and keeps me up every night but I am surfing again all year and couldn't be happier thanks to motivation from my buddy and myself. (pat on the back)

Hey Nails, you think that is his birth face or beer face?

Attached Files:

13. Nails

Nails Active Member

Nov 26, 2008
    bface

Nice scar. Sounds like full-on beer face mixed in with beer muscles. I always go bigger and faster snowboarding with a few beers on board. (Disclaimer . . . I do not recommend this and I am over 21).

14. stoneybaloney

stoneybaloney Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I bruised a muscle in back riding Whiteface after 4 microbrews. Wasted one day of the trip laying in bed. Shred til you're dead!

15. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008

I blew out my ankle snowboarding last winter on one of the last runs of a three day weekend. It was night, definitely had some beers with dinner, and on a POS little jump without a proper landing area. Eventually had surgery on it a few months ago -- which has kept me off the snowboard this winter. Doc says its 6 months before I can really do anything fun on it. So I should be able to get back in the water right as the waves go away and crowds come back.

16. exilenj

exilenj Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    i just wrote a huge paragraph for you and i didnt go through. ill sum it up pm me if you have questions. i had same problem for the past 4 years... my shoulder capsules are stretched beyond belief...i dislosted the left 3 years ago. went down hill from there torn labrum.. surfing and snowboarding didnt help. i dislocted the left probably over 30 times, let alone sublux it.did therapy, no dice. it got to the point i dislocated it sleeping 3 times, and subluxed it sleeping about a dozen.... surfing i would sublux/dislocate it paddling, turning, and in the whitewash....i cant tell you how many close calls ive had doing that..and its sucks big time..well had it done may 14th 08 my left. bankart repair (laberal tear) and capsular shift (cut the muslce and tighten the capsule)..also chiped the cartlidge doing it so much. 4hr prosudre. i have a great doc and therapist. i was on a board i think the end of august... but it still was tight, rotation wasnt the best, and you still guard the shoulder a lot. i think i was good by the end of septmber..... i still guard my shoulders a lot.. i took a little break from working on my shoulders and never went to gym ( i figured surfing would be good workout for my shoulder and rotator cuff) i have been having a few reoccuances with subluxing/dislocation snowboarding and surfing when my arm is raised up to the spot. you need to contiually work on your shoulders the rest of your life like your brushing your teeth. i regret not hitting the gym... i just started after subluxing it a few times the past 2-3 months, and it feels much better(even after 2 weeks). im having the same surgery on may 19th for my right shoulder. then hopefully ill have somewhat normal life without contant pain and guarding. pm me if you have questions... honestly you dont want to hop on a board after 3months...protocal to resume things like that is like 7 months or so i think.. given you can do it before, but its not worth the risk..

17. Krappenschitz

Mar 11, 2010
    doc's orders

with all due respect exile, i had the bankhart procedure done and it was the doctor who suggested getting back in the water after three months of rehab. He said it would be the best therapy i could do as long as i started with knee-waist (typical summer) surf.

To each their own.

18. endlessummer89

Jun 30, 2007
    I got the surgery yesterday and it turns out my labrum was not torn, my clavicle was just pinching it so they shaved the bone very little, out of water time now reduced to 3 months!!! I'll wait till august tho, cheers.

19. WaveHog

WaveHog Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2008
  20. landsharkiee

landsharkiee New Member

Apr 9, 2010
    That sucks man. Good luck, and I would like to hear how it goes. I tore the labrum in my right shoulder, and getting that done this December. I tore two ligaments in my left shoulder two years ago, and it took about 3 1/2 - 4 months to fully recover after surgery. I was in the water a month after however.