SoCal Water Temp

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by ND081, Dec 12, 2017.

1. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Gonna be in LA and San Diego county for Christmas and was wondering if I can get away with a 3/2 and booties the whole time (dawn patrol, etc.) I have a vest I could put under my suit but I'd rather not. Only other option is the hooded 5/4 which I'm assuming is overkill. I usually get pretty cold though so if I have to rent a gross old 4/3 I'd be willing to.

Thanks

2. Jesterface

Jesterface Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Whatever you do don't wear a hood south of San Francisco ever, if you do, you will look like a kook and get no wave action. Due to real surf bros snaking you every section and every peak.

Cheers

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Go to NDBC and get bouy data for the area.
    Make up your own mind.

4. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Pretty sure you'll be fine. Was in san diego for thanksgiving and wore a falling-apart 3/2, no booties, and was totally warm the whole time (minus the first 30 seconds or so early in the morning). Have also surfed in SD in late january/early february in the past in a ****ty rented 3/2 with no boots and was perfectly warm.

5. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    The most you ever need in LA is a 3/2. Even booties can be overkill.

6. Son Bather Bob

Son Bather Bob Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2014
    you can get by with just a 3/2

I'd bring booties if you like to surf early. Forecast looks like its going to fall off as soon as you get here! this week looks sick thoo

7. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    For water temps in high 50s to low 60s, a 3/2 is fine...just like on the east coast. Boots optional.

8. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I'd take boots just in case, but a 3/2 is usually fine. I need boots for water colder than 60, despite the fact that I'll trunk over 67-68, as long as the air is quite a bit warmer than that.

I have friends in the LA area that surf, and they only have suites bigger than a 3/2 because of when they still loved out here in Jersey. It's usually either a 3/2 or a spring suite for them. Even in January-March.

You usually don't need gloves, unless it's really cold (like unseasonably cold for the region) and the wind is ripping.

9. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Thanks for the help everyone.

Meh we’ve still got a week or two to go so we’ll see. Forecast isn’t even showing the first day yet