Southern Hospitality

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by zach619, Jan 3, 2014.

1. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Okay, so the waves down here have been crap lately and I am still adapting to the South, since I am living here now as a Native Marylander by way of San Diego....

This morning, my neighbor shot 2 wild boars on his property, butchered them down, brought them to my restaurant and I had our chef dry rub and then slow roast the ribs and tenderloins. On my way to his house on the water for a Clemson BBQ and low country party... Complete with moonshine.... yes, PBJ, moonshine, mason jars and all.

It's different down here, but g** dam*it, its pretty beautiful.

2. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    sounds pretty fun compared to fish tacos and Corona's. ;)

Gotta love the Low Country, I know I sure did during my time there.

3. GeorgiaSurfer

GeorgiaSurfer Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Southeast is like nowhere else.. being from Georgia southern hospitality is a major part of our lives. Its pretty much unspoken around here.. its just how you are supposed to act and it feels good to be treated and treat people the right way.. although the waves are sucking hard right now i wouldnt wanna live anywhere else!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  4. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    I know of a kid locked up 2 years for drinking moonshine out of a mason jar in a parking lot at Phish in Alphretta. Is that southern hospitality?

5. GeorgiaSurfer

GeorgiaSurfer Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2013
    I dont know how it is in other states.. i just know how it is where i live in savannah georgia..

6. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    viva la hhi and the south

7. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    This thread is awesome. Moonshine. Amazing.

8. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    FYI...if you drink moonshine and wake up next to a 6 or below, it's ok - she's a tax writeoff.

9. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Wouldn't happen in SC.

10. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I think half of the population of New Jersey, New York and Michigan are in Florida. There is no more Southern hospitality down here, nope it's all attitude now.

11. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    We get by on grouper and stone crab down here. How far south do you want to talk. South, south Fl, south America?

12. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Dude, everyone knows that Phish show parking lot circuses are like shooting fish in a barrel for cops. That kid was obviously an idiot and needed to be removed from society for a bit.

13. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
  14. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I believe that. It's kind of a bummer.

The last time I was in Fla. I went fishing. We met a nice couple in the lobby as we were about to go fish, they gave us a ride to the tackle shop (10 min) and offered to pick us up when we were done!! I wanted to rent a rod (I know that's uncommon) and the guys at the tackle shop just loaned me one of theirs!! When we were done fishing we met a younger fella back at the tackle shop and he offered us a ride back to the hotel, we took it!!! We made him stop at the liquor store because he wouldn't take money. We pretended it was for us, but the dude wound up with a 12 of his favorite beer.

I never met any of these people nor did they know of me in any way. This would never happen in NJ and why I appreciate southern hospitality.

Ps not my only good southern experience btw. I've been down that way a few times.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  15. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Doug your right, when I wrote that I did make it sound like everyone down here had attitude, but that's not true, a true southerner like myself, is still very respective and that will never change. There is still southern hospitality but sometimes you have to flee the bigger cities to find it...just like anywhere else.

16. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Come to Charleston. Our cuisine is on the top of many culinary lists. Many of our chefs end up ranked among the best in the nation. I have been to NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago, but I still think the low country could rank up there with the best foodie areas.

17. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I've experienced what you're talking about, but "southern hospitality" is not limited to the SE or southern portion of the US. One can find it all over the US - even in the cities and other countries. I've experienced this in my travels and over the course of my life. Be friendly, treat people with respect, and give them the benefit of the doubt. Don't be too quick to judge others - especially if you're the stranger. The old Golden Rule still applies. Some of the nicest folks I've ever met were in Australia, the Midwest US, California, and even Wash. DC. The Brits and Filipinos I've met were nice folks too.

18. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Well said. Also, and some may disagree, the French. I know, I know, the stereotypical they-hate-Americans rude Frog cliches. I didn't get that at all when I surfed in Hossegor & Biarritz & Hendaye. Seems to me that you get back what you put out, a la The Golden Rule.

I realize that I may have just jeopardized my rep here.

OK, back to hating the woodchuck troll posse & the Maine latex rapist & the van-driving, hayzeus-belching wascally wabbit wayne the insane.

19. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    Grown men prancing around hospitably like the dandies of yesteryear, purporting a reputation for toughness and lofty ideals nonetheless.

20. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    I was taught from a young age that real men are gentlemen first.