Sports Bar

Discussion in 'Non Surf Related' started by Notaseal, Sep 23, 2018.

1. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Blues vs Bruins for the Stanley Cup.
    It bugs me that hockey, including the NHL playoffs, is so often put in the back pages of a newspaper's sports section. Even off-season NFL news takes precedence.
    IMO, of all sports championship series, that for the Stanley Cup is the most grueling.

2. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    The playoffs have been really good. Yes, there were some blowouts mixed in but very good hockey.

DosXX likes this.

3. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Game 1 is about to start.

4. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Hey @ChavezyChavez Europa League Final, Wednesday at 3pm. Gunners vs Blues, should be a good one.

ChavezyChavez and antoine like this.
  5. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I wish it was played on Saturday since I'm working Wednesday. All England European finals is pretty cool.

6. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Everyone should hate Boston teams, they are constantly freaking winning. If the Bruins win, almost a clean sweep of all the major sports.

LongIslandBro likes this.
  7. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Suite post dude.

8. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    It stems from when I was a yout. Bill Russell owned the Sixers, except for 67. I liked the Sox in the 70's. Rice, Lynn, Spaceman Lee.

9. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I think this is why I stuck with hockey all these years and not the other sports, most of which I stopped watching around 12-13 years old.

It was never cool and was like the ultimate weirdo/uncool sport, when compared to football or baseball or even basketball. And I never thought that 40 or so years ago when I started watching it, that it would be as popular as it is today, but even now, it's really not all that popular. Sometimes it feels like golf and tennis are more watched/get more coverage.

ChavezyChavez likes this.
  10. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Even high school sports, including off-season football, girls field hockey and softball, generally get better billing than the Stanley Cup Playoffs in our newspaper.

eatswell likes this.
  11. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Champions league final today at 3.. only the best of the best from everywhere culminates today. possibly the only true world champions..maybe not. but maybe

Kyle likes this.
  12. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Got Liverpool in a betting pool, so I'm forced to pull for them today. Kane, Salah and Firmino all back and playing today so should be a good one.

antoine likes this.
  13. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    My son is a tottenham fan so... unfortunately I'm a west brom fan doomed to another year in relegation.

Kyle likes this.
  14. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    In my defense...

Born in WPB FL in the 50s, all we had was spring training baseball. My Mom is from here too, but by Dad is from Beantown. My Grandma on his side used to take us to the Atlanta Braves games and keep box score. To her they were still the Boston Braves, then the Milwaukee Braves, then the Atlanta Braves. Got to see Hammering Hank, Roberto Clemente, the Nekro Bros, Dale Murphy, in their prime. So I was always a Braves and Red Sox fan since I was a kid, and they both sucked for decades.

When the Dolphins franchise started in the early 60s my Dad started rooting for them instead of the Cheatriots, so I'm a die hard Dolphin fan, and they have sucked for decades. I was a Celtic fan in the 70s and 80s, but when the Heat opened I became a Heat fan. When Charlie Hough threw out the first pitch at Joe Robbie, I became a Marlins fan, and they have sucked for a long time.

So too fucking bad if I'm a Red Sox fan. I have a signed by the whole team '04 World Series ball on my desk in a case, sitting on a golden glove. Suck it you Yankee fans, suck my '04 Ball.

That's it, have a great weekend ya'll.

DosXX likes this.
  15. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
  16. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    ^^^that explains so much...

17. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Stanley Cup Playoffs finally made the front page of our local paper's sports section.
    Fourth game of the Finals is tonight in St. Louis. Bruins lead series with Blues 3 games to 2.

18. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    ...But yeah, we get one parade down here on a 5 to 10 year interval, as do most sports markets. In Beantown, if you are a year old you've already seen 2. If you're 19 years old you've been to 12. Talk about feeling entitled. Up until 04 they hadn't won nothing but a few NBA titles in like a million years,now this. I get it. They are a bunch of arrogant bastids.

19. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Any Phillies phans out there with an opinion on acquiring Jay Bruce?

ChavezyChavez likes this.
  20. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017