summer board build

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by Mitchell, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    my bud and I just finished two small wave boards this summer. He's a bigger dude and made a 6'3 PU/PE swallow tail quad and I made my third attempt at a mini simmons type shape. Its 5'8 EPS/Epoxy. Here's a little bit about the process: both templates were just cardboard shapes scabbed together from other boards:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shaped Mini Simmons in the background, swallow tail template on blank about to be cut:

[​IMG]

Cutting the outline with a jigsaw:
    [​IMG]

Cleaning up the curves with some sandpaper glued to a block of wood. This is a really critical step IMO.

[​IMG]

Cutting the rail bands:
    [​IMG]<br />Tuning the rails with some drywall screen:[​IMG]

The ghetto 20 year old O'Fishl jig that still works perfectly for Futures Boxes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. Mitchell

Jan 5, 2009
    My Buddies fin setup installed:

[​IMG]

Bottom of my Mini Simmons about to get four fins:
    [​IMG]

Mini Simmons Bottom and Rocker Shot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Erich's swallow tail glassed and sanded out:

[​IMG]

Both of these boards were finished about a month ago and have been ridden several times.

We're both extremely stoked. They're great rides!

3. JTS

JTS Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Nice !! Thanks for the pics - I like the red/white table cloth curtain!! You like the Mini Simms I take it?

4. Mitchell

Jan 5, 2009
    Thanks!

Yeah I'm sold on mini-simmons as a shape that makes knee waist high SOFT waves fun to surf. I know I've said it before. This shape is nice...its MAD wide so it will paddle into and glide easily on a 1-2 foot wave but with some tail rocker and the quad setup with small rear fins it seems like it turns on a dime (well...for this kind of shape...maybe better to say it turns on a nickel or quarter)

5. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Paging The Gnome! Paging the Gnome! Pay attention! These are surfboards!

6. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Nice craftsmanship. Enjoyed the post.

7. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Nicely done.look awesome.

8. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah nice work! I think this is what the forum is all about. I wish I had the skill and time to attempt a board build

9. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    What the heck is this thread all about now? building surfboards???? hey troll this site is all about poisonous contrails from govt jets and conspiracy theories... now stop messing up this site and put your tinfoil hat on.
    lol.
    kidding. great pics. boards look good!

10. Greenlight

Greenlight Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Awesome! Simmons are super fun in crappy waves. Good choice. Nice work!

~Brian
    www.greenlightsurfsupply.com
    Shape Your Surfing Experience

11. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Beautiful work, Mitchell!
    That Mini-Simmons looks fun as hell...

12. Mitchell

Jan 5, 2009
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. The Mini Simmons is very fun to ride, and definitely a funky looking board. The dimensions are something on the order of 5'8" x 23" x 2 3/8" I thinned it out a LOT because I wanted the board length and planning area so the board would just fly across mushy faces (which it does) but didn't particularly want a great deal of volume.

Erich's swallow tail is just a stunner. It wouldn't look out of place at all sitting on a new board rack. And its only the third or fourth board he's built.

13. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Haha wtf !

14. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    amazing. great work. too many good shapers in delmarva now!