Surf trip near Los Angeles/San Diego

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Katja, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Katja

Katja New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I'm traveling to California with my boyfriend this july and I would like to spend 2 to 3 weeks for surfing. I'm an intermediate surfer and my boyfriend is more a beginnner. Do you recommend some good surfing spot (preferably outside the big cities and not crowded) with some cheap accomodation option near the beach (we will not have a car, so it would be perfect if the accomodation is within walkink distance from the beach) ?<br /><br />Thaks for the answers and regards from Slovenia :)

2. spongedude

spongedude Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    you might try oceanside. book early no matter where you decide to go

3. viajerodevida

viajerodevida Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Yes, book early. If you're willing to camp, try to get a night or two at the San Elijo State Beach Campground. Sites are reserved months in advance but it's an ideal spot for that area (at least south of Oside). You'd be right on the beach and walking distance to good surf, food, and transportation. It's sort of close to the noisy 101, but if you don't mind camping it'll be inexpensive and much closer to the beach than anything else. Wake up, grab a coffee, walk a few feet, then surf. You'd also be a short cab ride (or walk) away from nightlife, and there's local train access to SD and LA. If the campground is already full you might get lucky if someone cancels their reservation.

Without a car there may be privacy or security concerns (board rentals, valuables), but that's nothing that can't be dealt with this far in advance. Just ask your next hotel to stash the stuff you won't use camping. Never stayed there myself, but always felt a good vibe walking through.