surfers who fish.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Awesome stories Peajay, making me want to fish, it's been a while. The maceral have been schooling up here too, not sure what's chasing them.
    I don't mind blues. Some people say use mayo for some reason. Smoked is killer. Also have a chef buddy that swears if you bleed them quick and slice it super thin it makes great sushi (sashimi? I don't know my sushi)
    My fishing pal loves the robins too.

Peajay4060 likes this.
  2. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks,
    I like blues too, they just don't freeze well. and these were really oily. Bled these right away and filleted them soon after but they were so oily. Soaked them over night in the fridge with milk and the next morning they were a bit firmer. Ended up making a huge bowl of salad with them. breakfast this morning on a fresh sesame bagel. Lunch too.

I want to try smoked. I revamped my fire pit and can use it for grilling. Probably not a big lift to set something up for smoking too. It's just to darn hot for fire.

Get those macks. There tasty! Easy to clean too. Look fwd to running into them again. I put together 7 ft rod with a bit more backbone and a reel with a longer spool and higher gear ratio to burn the tins on, get better casting distance and line capacity. Something just for pelagics. A 4000 size reel should be plenty but mine are kinda cheap and old. Not sure how much more they can take. When working those blues they looked a little warped. Plus maybe I can get them in quicker for a safer release. That is ever put something back. I get a little nutzo in the moment.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Still lurkin', Peajay... Yesterday I jumped in for a quick dive during my lunch break and finally shot a nice tog. First one since the season reopened 1 August. But the day before that I shot a 35" striper doing the lunch break thing again. Viz was so bad at the surface I had to hold my gun out of the water to wrap my shooting line. But below about 12-15' the water was cool and clear-ish, with just enough viz to slip in and around the rocks and sneak up on something. On about my third drop I saw a nice tog, but missed him as he slipped into the murk. I surfaced, did my breathe-up, and dropped again, this time just sitting behind a big rock hoping that tog would come back around. Instead... this fella swam by, nice and slow... never saw me. I took the shot but missed the Stone Zone by a fraction of an inch. I started to pull him toward me by the shooting line but the viz was so bad I couldn't see to put him on the stringer and ended up swimming him in all the way to the beach... him fighting me the whole way. When I finally to the beach I was gassed. I pulled him up onto the beach, put him on the stringer so he couldn't get away, then dragged him back into the water to dispatch him and bleed him out.

I never saw a crowd disburse so quickly after witnessing the gruesome brutality of ikejime... which belies its respectful, compassionate humaneness. Kind of ironic.

IMG_3992.jpg

Manik and Peajay4060 like this.
  4. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Wow LB, that is so awesome.

5. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    What do you use for your weapon of choice?

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    That was taken with a 90cm Mares Cryano... an Italian-made pneumatic. Nobody uses them around here. Everyone uses band guns or pole spears.