surfers who fish.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jul 26, 2019.

1. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    That's awesome. No better place to grow up than around the water.

So, what's a schoolie?

2. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Just an undersized or "juvenile" stripper. There was a time I'd "stretch" out the fish, lol, but want to teach her right.

3. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Ah yes. The marina I worked at hosted a fishing tournament every year. They taught me how to spot a fish with a broken back.

Manik likes this.
  4. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hey so this thread.

The original question was on the big rattle trap and would it work in saltwater. We'll this was a heck of run this year. One day a couple of weeks ago I pulled up and the bunker were 5 feet of the beach and slapping the top. High tide, glassy and flat. Ran down with my gear in jeans and sneaks cause I didn't want to waste time. Used my biggest pole and an atoms popper hopping for a big cow. Nothing except snagging bunker. Let a few run off the snag and had a run that couldn't get hooked up. So went back and suited up bringing lighter tackle. Used a diamond jig with a teaser with some success then tied on the trap right to the line. A lot of casts, some bunker snags which were kinda fun on the light gear. Then just as I was pulling it out of the shore line, boom. A short run and a just short bass! Was so happy when it beached I kissed it and showed it to the sky for my Dad before throwing it back. So it worked at least once. I'll continue my experiment next year.

Was actually my last fish of the year. Thinking about cod though.

headhigh, Manik and Carson like this.
  5. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hey so this thread exists. Broke my own rule on thw Who's been surfing thread.

I just wanted to say I figured out fishing from shore. The trick is to spend a lot of money. I lost so much tackle I should just throw dollars in the ocean. But the thing is I think so does everyone else. A good walk and I'll find my $ back in buck tails and other jigs. Found a minnow that just needed new hooks. A mag darter worth 20 bucks alone! I'm afraid to throw it but man it catches. Lost my oldest lure. An old Atoms popper.

headhigh likes this.
  6. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
  7. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Took the yak out in Lewes canal in April, caught 56 of these little guys! Stripe.jpeg

headhigh and smitty517 like this.
  8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    That fish is totally mugging it for the camera!

Zeroevol likes this.
  9. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    There were a ton of really small bass like that around this past spring. They need another year or two to grow.

10. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    So, how does one "bleed a fish"?

11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    After dispatching the fish by stabbing it in the brain, slice through both gills by lifting the gill plates and slicing across all of the red ribbons of gill tissue. It must be done in saltwater, or the blood will coagulate quickly and not all bleed out.

Manik and headhigh like this.
  12. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    A true scholar and gentleman. Can't wait to try this.

13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Picked up another triggerfish today. Not big, but enough to slice up for sashimi and add to some takeout handrolls.

antoine likes this.
  14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    IMG_2894.jpg

Not the tastiest sashimi I've eaten, but good. Took that little pile of trimmings at the top of the plate and tossed it with cilantro, avocado, diced garden tomatoes, red onion, jalapeños, soy sauce and sesame oil. Tell you what... it stole the show.

Ate the rest of the slices with sushi rice and wasabi... not bad. Good protein, for sure.

Peajay4060, Manik, headhigh and 2 others like this.
  15. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
  16. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Best to not dispatch fish. That defeats the purpose. You want that heart pumping until it has nothing left to pump. Cut the gills while its alive but not so much to kill the fish immediately. Cut a second time once first cut clots up and stops bleeding. Keep fish in water to keep it bleeding.

Manik likes this.
  17. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Someone might get a visit from the feds when that picture makes its way to the fisheries people.

LBCrew likes this.
  18. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I've heard there are loads of blowfish in the bay behind my house right now. May give that a try this weekend.

19. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Where'd that one get caught?

I have this thing about sharks, where I never wish to catch one, or kill one, or eat one. Live and let live maybe.

LBCrew and antoine like this.
  20. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Manik likes this.