surfers who fish.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jul 26, 2019.

1. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    The fish was 5 miles offshore and after 1 hr fight , the tax man takes his chunk

2. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I took the yak out on Saturday. There is a place close to me, i toss a live mullet on with a bobber and usually catch a sh_t ton of sand sharks. I didn't even get a bite. Snapper blues were hitting the schools of menhaden around me, couldn't even get them to hit anything. Oh well, still a nice day out on the water.

Peajay4060 likes this.

3. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    @curl
    Is that you next to that beast?

Cause that stash is Sam Elliott dudely.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  4. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Rofl , peajay, NO

Peajay4060 likes this.
  5. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
  6. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Fished offshore yesterday with a couple of buddies in their mid seventies, retired commercial fisherman. It was comedy all day, those two arguing about everything, every other word was an f bomb. But we killed the fluke and black sea bass, one big taug, a big trigger fish, scup, and big orange sea robbins which one of the guys loves to eat, did not know anyone liked them. Fun but forgot the sunscreen and paid for it last night, it's been a while since I've burned that bad.

headhigh, antoine, Peajay4060 and 2 others like this.
  7. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Larry is showing here but the wind is on shore heavy. You can probably find a few corners, but with the clean up coming I'm holding off. Still hitting the water every morning but with fishing gear.

Been into the fluke around the inlet. Been busy and fun but nothing to take home. As the fish were small I switched to a short medium Action rod. I'd started using the crank bait that was behind started this thread with success. All the hits were at the tail and the crank had a treble back there and I mean honestly, what doesn't hit a crank bait. This morning, with the wind from the ocean I went further in to have the wind at my back and took one right away. I was slow jigging and I think this guy was hovering above me and I foul hooked him. Measured just shy of legal so I stayed put to see if there was a big boy in this hole. After a few more shorts I lifted into dead wait. Then a big shake. Then some drag. After a good fight I landed a 5 pounder! Biggest fluke I ever caught.

This fish tail gets better. The fish gave a shake on shore and I thought it shook the hooks. I wasn't losing this thing so I blindly went to grab it and got hand full of treble hook. 3 barbs through the skin!
    As I screamed I reached with my other hand and got caught up there too. Imagine a man giving a choke hold to a fish. I not ashamed to say I cried a little.
    So I walked up the berm, choke slammed the flailing fish to the sand. The 2nd hooked hand was just hooked so I ripped free and reached into my goody bag. I grabbed my bait knife and stabbed this thing in the head. Then found a pair of snips and cut the hooks to freedom. All lefty by the way. Blood was everywhere.

I washed off then made a few more casts. Cause if there is one there should be another. No luck though. I had a bit of a hike back to the vehicle and a meeting so I split and just finished cleaning this thing. 4 big filets breaded and fried w long islandland corn and wax beans. Not from my garden but a farm share we are part of.

Thank God I just swapped out the rusty hooks with new ones not 2 days before.
    My neighbor asked me the length. So I said 2ft!
    20210908_120635.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    LBCrew, smitty517, Zeroevol and 4 others like this.
  8. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    How about some bloody hand pics! :D

dave, Peajay4060 and Manik like this.
  9. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Awesome story PJ, nice fish!

Peajay4060 likes this.
  10. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Ouch!!! The choke slam hahaha

Peajay4060 likes this.
  11. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    No kidding guys the whole thing reminded me of the knife fight in Eastern Promises. I won but I was effed up. I even stabbed it in the eye. You can see it in the pic.

12. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    if I recall the story correctly, which is likely to not be the case, the guy who works at the place where the pic was taken said they were retired clammers in their 80s who were jigging for Bluefish in an 18 ft Boston Whaler, the Bluefin either took a jig or ate a Blue that was on the line, and after the big fight they were about to give up, when the shark killed it and enabled them to boat the fish

antoine likes this.
  13. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Went off shore yesterday, right off the clay head cliffs on Block Island. My buddy still has a commercial license so we went primarily for Black Sea Bass, he has a fifty pound limit. Got his limit, plus a lot of scup. Fishing off the bottom, doing a "drift" it was one after another, just killing it. Sea's were a little rough, my legs are actually sore from constantly bracing myself. Lots of filets in the freezer, life is good!

14. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    20211001_182855.jpg Went for an afterwork surf fish. Surf wasn't doing it for me. 1st cast at a sheltered cove got a blue and I'm taking it home. Little kid was slaying fluke next to me. He was so small and he had a wicked cast. It was great.

I'm going have this on the grill in a 1/2hr for tacos.

Carson and Manik like this.
  15. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    that blue was so oily. Ended up on the BBQ to "smoke" it and made a tuna like salad. Ate it all weekend on toast.

Manik likes this.
  16. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Bluefish make great fish curry... saute sliced onions, red peppers, green beans (or whatever veg you like) then add green curry sauce and a can of coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, add sliced bluefish and cook until done. Serve over basmati rice; top with scallions.

headhigh, Peajay4060 and Manik like this.
  17. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Went blue crabbing after the KC- Eagles game yesterday, a couple dozen in about an hour and a half. Chicken leg on a string, super fun with the kiddo.

simod5, LBCrew, antoine and 1 other person like this.
  18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Last night's dinner was this week's harvest: fishcakes with fresh sweet corn... I like to make "black and blue" fishcakes... blackfish and bluefish, baked, flaked and formed into patties with sautéed trinity (celery, onion bell pepper), egg, a dollop of mayo, and panko breadcrumbs.
    65533950314__A9D798DD-0529-44F5-9B27-98153E34980D.JPG

Peajay4060, smitty517, Manik and 4 others like this.
  19. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Box me up 6.. freeze..pack and ship to my home.. I'll p.m ya the address!

Carson likes this.
  20. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Dude, that looks amazing LB.
    Went off shore again yesterday, off of Block Island , almost no wind and glassy. Not as many Black Sea Bass as last time, but the show the mackeral were putting on was crazy. Big boils out of no where and then they were flying out of the water, and this would happen every few minutes all around us. We tried casting lures but no go. The water was super clear and all the fish scales floating around after the feeding frenzy would catch the sunlight and look like hundreds of stars under water.
    Fishing, crabbing, and mushrooming have all been good distractions but I am jonesing for waves. It's been a while for me.