Surfing in/near Boston MA

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by cidadao, Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cidadao

cidadao New Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Boston, MA next January (coming from Portugal) and I would like to know if there is a surf community around the area.
    What spots do you suggest and how far are the most consistent ones from central Boston by car? Is it easy to rent a surfboard and wetsuit?
    Are there any bodyboarding or just surf?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Cheers

(also pls let me know if I'm - not - on the right section of the forum to ask this :D)

2. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Man, it's too bad you didn't come here a year or two ago. EMass would have been happy to take you out in some 15 foot VAS next to the rock jetty. But, alas, he has moved to the west coast and abandonned us.

Also, a hello thread. Thanks.

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

cidadao,
    there are plenty of places to surf/bodyboard here near Boston. Rentals are also available. But, the water is vastly colder than Portugal. Look to Cape Cod or New Hampshire for surf and rentals as well. Rhode Island is also fairly nearby.

4. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    its considerably colder then portugal

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    qft

Hi cidadao, I'll chime in here assuming you'll make a herro tread.

It won't be Portugal, but you will find waves...you'll actually be in a pretty good spot in terms of access to Northern and Southern New England. But there are some spots close to Boston.

epictetus loves Winthrop jetty.

And there are bodyboarding too, and waves better suited to a surfbort.

6. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012

seldom are u charging tommmorow mornign?

7. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Don't think I'll be able to escape the workplace unfortunately. Looking friggin good though

8. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    welllllll seeee. i hope its like it is for the past 2 times ive gone there. Spitting headhigh barrels in the right spots along the beach, and the majority of the crowd with no idea where that spot is they should sit.

9. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Dude how nice was it that weds? Man what a fun sesh, I friggin love that place. Amazing lefts

10. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    yea and the saturday or before that there was a sand spit right barrel coming in around mile post 13 and 14 for a bit of the incoming tide. Only guy on it for hours