Surfing in Scotland

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by jettyflea, Feb 18, 2016.

1. jettyflea

jettyflea Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
  2. Clowns-r-Us

Clowns-r-Us Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Spent some time in Aberdeen, Scotland which is right near the Eastern coast. Cool town with awesome pubs, although grey granite, which is a mandatory building code facade for most in-town buildings, gives the place a decidedly glum look when its cloudy.

Went to the beach to check some swell at one point even though I had no gear and no idea where to rent any. There were a half dozen guys in the water. It was mushy and small 2-3ft, but still looked at least semi-fun with a big boart. Asked a local what's up with the surf scene and he said its obviously not as good as the west coast and this spot wasn't the best on the East.

If you go to Scotland -GO TO EDINBURGH (better then London IMHO), forget Glasglow, and tour at least 3-4 distilleries. The Isle of Islay has the Lagavulin Distillery (which is one of several excellent purveyors of whiskey, on the island). Just don't expect much else going on there other than natural scenic beauty (water in summer was reminiscent of the Caribbean in looks but not temp).

There are, of course, excellent but fickle surf options on the West Coast -be sure to check maps which will show the swell shadowing islands that ring parts of the coast. Accessibility may also be an issue.

3. jettyflea

Apr 12, 2013
    Good advice there!. I've been there a while ago with family. Checked out Edinburgh and Sterling. I didn't have a chance to check out the surf scene there. I've looked at pictures from the Isle of Skye where the water is blue-torquise but cold as you say. It looks like a surreal place to surf and definitely not crowded.

4. jettyflea

Apr 12, 2013
    If you could get lucky with the right conditions and surf next to a distillery, that would be great. Some nice whiskey after a surf session would warm you up.

5. jettyflea

Apr 12, 2013
  6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I went to Scotland once, but I did not have time to surf. Too busy working.
    Beautiful country. My fathers parents were from Isle of Skye. We may return next year.

7. jettyflea

Apr 12, 2013
    That's cool. My grandparents are from Scotland too(a small town outside of Glasgow).

8. Clowns-r-Us

Clowns-r-Us Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Dude, absolutely. Nothing like a good whiskey after a cold surf session.

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yeah...strange, isn't it?? And lets make that McBarry??

10. jettyflea

Apr 12, 2013
    McBarry it is or actually MacBarry

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Either. They actually mean the same in "scots".

12. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

The one and only, at your service!!

13. jettyflea

Apr 12, 2013
    that is true just shortened version over the other.

14. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    And this is why you liked Southern Culture on the Skids... AKA S.C.O.T.S.

15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Ya know, perhaps, but I found their music really good as well.
    And there there is the girl singing.......hubba hubba!!