Taste like chicken

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by whiskey, Jun 3, 2016.

1. whiskey

whiskey Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Our story begins 1 year ago on a hike in Nags Head Woods ending in a tick bite. It turns out a certain tick, called a lone star tick can cause a meat allergy. Fast forward a year to a Puerto Rico 10 year anniversary trip with minimal surf. The wife and I were on a biking art tour in a neighborhood of San Juan called Santurce just south of Condado. The woman running the tour took us to a restaurant in that hood where she knew the owners, who she explained were essentially squatters at first, but the restaurant became popular with the locals. I order rice and beans and chicken. The food comes, I dig in. The chicken is well seasoned, but perhaps a little gamey with some tough spots, but doesn't ring any alarms. On the bike ride back my digestive tract tightens up and I feel super thirsty. When it doesn't go away after a gallon of water it hits me that this is how I feel after eating mammal meat.... So I'm convinced I was served mammal meat of some kind. Question is what? It was white, dense, 1 inch thick, maybe 6 oz filet. I'm thinking rat.

2. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Cat or Dog for sure. Hey, at least it tasted good.

3. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Dude. Relocate to LA. Offer your services as a 'meat preventer' to all the vegan hotties in the land of fruits & nuts. All you gotta do is taste-test the funky cool (supposedly) vegan products prior to the client's consumption. You'd make a pile of cash.

4. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
  5. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
  6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

It was very probably pork. Puerto Ricans do eat a lot of pork; there is plenty of it on the island and it is not very expensive. I do not believe they would serve you other mammals than pork; possible, of course, but highly unlikely.

7. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    It was the losing rooster from Gallistico

8. whiskey

whiskey Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I know pork, I love and miss eating it. This meat was very white, pork has a grayish color (even though it's the other white meat.). Their was tons of cats in the hood their, that's my other guess.

9. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    my bad, I mean yours!

10. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    o barry

11. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Hope it wasn't a cock meat sandwich

12. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Sounds worse than Lyme disease

13. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Yeah, that just makes you allergic to limes. I just switched to lemons. I can't believe a tick bite would make you allergic to meat! That ish is crazy. Cat... Might be white meat... a lot of fast twitch muscle...

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Wow HAHAHAHA

15. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  16. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Long pig | Define Long pig at Dictionary.com
    www.dictionary.com/browse/long-pig
    (among the Maori and Polynesian peoples) human flesh as food for cannibals.

I hope it was cat...

17. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    How long does the allergy last? Fukin' ticks man!

Gator and snake sort of taste like chicken, but I'm thinking rabbit, possum, or rat. All of those have the chicken sort of taste and feel. I have never had rat myself but I've seen it eaten of TV.

18. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    What about monkey?

19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

In PR, there are no gators, rabbits, possums or monkeys. There are a lot of rats, mostly of the human variety that have just moved there from the Southeast USA, with surfboards.

20. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Monkey Island, 1/2 mile off the eastern coast of PR. Is it possible they get them from there?
    http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/monkey-island/