The Caribbean is Open!

Discussion in 'Caribbean Islands' started by UnfurleD, Oct 20, 2017.

1. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    http://caribbeanisopen.com/
    This site launched suggesting not all of the Caribbean has been trashed and they're open for visitors. Anyone buying into this? PR is an absolute mess, lotta press since it's been a month since the Maria damage. Not sure how the other islands are holding up, know Barbados did pretty well tho also super south of the path. Been looking into US Virgin Islands cuz A) never been B) wondering what surf is like in those islands (apparently Nov->March is swell season only down there). Curious who knows here the conditions of any of those Cari islands and if anyone's been traveling down there in the past month to provide some betta perspective

2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    This hurricane season blew a lot of the islands back to WWI days. If you go, be prepared to "rough it."

Which sounds fine to me.

3. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
  4. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I agree man. A vacation with wifi, cable, AC, and fast food is hardly a get away. Shoot, if I want that I'll check in to the Blockade Runner.

5. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    i'm sure someone here has a trip planned out there and is hoping for the best

6. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    I've been to St. Thomas and St. John. Can only ferry to St. John. Absolutely beautiful islands with almost no surf at all. Jost Van Dyke hosts Cane Garden Bay but that is just as fickle. Jost also requires a boat and possibly a passport? Not 100% sure. I agree, roughing it sounds fine. Explore and have fun.

Edit: whoops I was a little off, CGB is definitely Tortola, Jost isn't far away (all BVIs though)

7. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I know burry had a trip planned to PR, not sure if he went or not. Be interesting to hear his report if he went.

8. me tard

me tard Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2016
    i doubt tortolla is open. i got married there. surfed josiahs bay. would love to go back one day.

9. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007

10. BonerSurfs

BonerSurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2007
    There is a lot of misinformation in this post.

Edit... Didn't see your edit. But St. Thomas and St. John get loads of swell.

11. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    He's in France.

12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I wouldn't say "loads" of swell... but certainly St. Thomas gets it's fair share... St. John there are far fewer breaks, at least that you can access without a boat. I've explored quite a bit of the VIs... for more than 30 years. Much has changed, and will continue to. When they rebuild, places like Tortola and Jost will never be the same. My prediction is that they will be rebuilt "bigger and better" to attract more and more tourism. You can't blame them for that, but the remote, uncrowded spots will be exposed, and the crowded spots will become more crowded.

Hopefully... I'm wrong.

13. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    I've seen pics of CGB with great size but other than that it seems like a long shot. That's my point basically. Plenty of other places to search for swell.

14. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Beef Island on a full moon ;)

15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

My trip was cancelled. No sense in going.
    Virgin Islands are also demolished. But if OP wishes to go, Botany Bay and Hull Bay are 2 surf spots on St. Thomas. But, I think roads to them will be closed.

16. beachkat

beachkat Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Bvi

Tortola was trashed, no power still in a lot of places, hardy anywhere to stay, people have no roofs.

17. rearly9986

rearly9986 Active Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Anything north of Guadeloupe is a mess, give them a chance to fix there issues. Visiting PR, Tortola or the Virgin's would not be a good idea. Instead donate some money to the relief effort.
    Head further south to Guadeloupe, Martinique, Trinidad or Barbados.
    Great waves.

18. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Exactly. Except the part of giving them money. Your taxes already do that.

19. MarkOsw

MarkOsw New Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Great waves there.

20. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Are you BrockOsw's brother?