"The Cove"

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by bodyboardNJ, Aug 30, 2010.

1. bodyboardNJ

bodyboardNJ Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Last night i stumbled upon a documentary on Animal Planet called "The Cove". It was about a group of some Americans trying to stop the slaughter of thousands of dolphins each year in Japan. I found it very sad how they were violently killing all these dolphins. I was wondering if anyone else had seen or even heard about these killings.

For more information go to http://www.takepart.com/thecove

2. johhnyutah

johhnyutah Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    I saw the documentary recently. It's very intense and disturbing. Forcing school kids to eat dolphin meat even though it's literally toxic with mercury contamination. A couple of years ago Rasta was interviewed in Surfer about the Cove and his action that helped shed some light on the issue. I've heard that the film is getting very popular in Japan which is good for the dolphins.

3. bodyboardNJ

Aug 19, 2009
    ya until i saw a commercial for it a few days ago, i had no idea about any of it

4. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
    I watched it. I thought it was good, but I don't really see how what they do in Japan with dolphins is that much different than what we do with cows and pigs over here.

5. Surfreports

Surfreports Active Member

Jun 18, 2009
    I couldn't agree more.

6. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    I wonder what dolphin tastes like.

7. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    are you really that ignorant? Cows and pigs that we raise are alive only because we've bred and raised them until that point. Their entire existence is based on providing food for us. Forget about the moral implications. Wholesale unsportsmanlike slaughter of wild animals on a large scale the other hand, is basically never a good idea because it messes with the ecosystem.

8. bodyboardNJ

Aug 19, 2009
    thank you for that, and also if you're a surfer, you have to love dolphins/ respect them unless your just a kook

9. Waverider82

Waverider82 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Yeah that's a pretty brutal reason to exist. Talk about a tortured existence. Oh, don't forget we keep them in a cage all their life. We castrate them. Place them where they can't move in an inch in agony and then brutally slaughter them with a painful death. Watch some documentaries at Peta. Enough to make you sick to your stomach. People are such Hippocrates.

Think if your only point of existence was to be raised for food. You could also say you never would have existed if it wasn't for you killer/slave master.
    Oh and what they do dolphins is absolutely disgusting. Their some of the smartest sweetest animals on earth. Also, I'm not saying I value the life of animals over people. That's nuts. Peta consists of some nutjob extremist, but they expose a lot of truth

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  10. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Actually in some Countries Cows and Pigs are Religious Symbols and its a sin in there religion to kill them

I seen The Cove just goes to show you Japan has no honor but talks about how much they are proud of there Honor:confused:

11. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    the "Only good shark is a dead shark" tagline you use is a nice ironic touch.:rolleyes:

12. Waverider82

Mar 26, 2010
    How many seals and dolphins do sharks slaughter throughout a lifetime? Their born killers. I think nature can be cruel and disgusting. How would like being eaten alive? The whole idea of predators is brutal. They shouldn't exist in a fair balanced shang-ri la, but of course this is reality where 11 year old's die in screaming agony of luekemia and people kill one another. Hell sharks eat each other. A male lion has been known to kill all the cubs just to get the female in heat. Killing and brutality is wrong. I don't like nature and I think this world is unfair. Death shouldn't exist, but unfortunately it does and were left with a pointless existence. That's why we create religion and heaven. To try to make sense of this craziness. We probably exist for no other purpose than to pass on the genome. That's sad I wish I believed in heaven, but I can't. Were genetic carries, but we also have feelings and emotions, which a shark doesn't have. I don't know why people think "nature" is so great. There are some islands where there a few if any predators and all the animals live in harmony like the Disney animals, but this is rare.

13. MATT JOHNSON

Oct 11, 2009
    When a animal kill another animal is natural selection and survial of the fittest. When Humans kill other people or animal its murder

14. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Tastes like chicken. :p

15. Waverider82

Mar 26, 2010
    Why this special category for humans? Can't we kill for survival of the fittest? Isn't that what our ancestors did to rise out of the caves? Aren't we supposed to be at the top of the food chain? Hell if an animal is so stupid that it can't even understand right and wrong, then how important is it anyway? Not as important as a human. See how the logic of that commonly held belief starts falling apart? For some reason, there's the separation of man and nature. We ARE part of nature. We are organic! We are not cyborg's!

What's so great about survival of the fittest? The Nazi's had that same idea. Kill the weak members, just like wolves to in a wolf pack. If a member becomes injured they all attack and kill him. Talk about horrible. I don't like it. Human's are capable of great amounts of compassion. They will help sick members and the frail, old ect. Animals rarely do this. Elephants and dolphins do. Sharks don't. I think there are good animals and bad animals. What about compassion? I think that's more important. Our aggressive survival of the fittest genetic background is probably why we have so many wars and are so violent. Remember, human's are simply extremely smart animals. Way WAY more intelligent than any other creature on the planet, quite obviously. I might seem like I'm contradicting myself, but I'm not. It's a complicated position I've attained by many years of thinking about this.

16. MATT JOHNSON

Oct 11, 2009
    Actually humans use to kill for survial of the fittest. You are right cave men did do it and it was problally dont up to WW2 but after that wars were started for Greed and finacial gain.

Nazi's actions were based off the thought of a hipocrtical half jewish Austrian. Who wanted a pure race when he wasnt even a pure Aryan. Not saying wars are right or wrong but you cant compare Animals in there natural envoriment to the humans that no what will result in there actions can either be right or wrong

17. Waverider82

Mar 26, 2010
    Nazi Germany also killed anyone who was crippled. It wasn't just jews/non aryans. It was a very ultra patriotic high testosterone wolf pack follow the leader and don't ask questions mentality in Hitler's Germany. Anyone with any brains(scientist ect,) left the country. Hitler wanted soldiers on steroids(yes he literally gave them steroids to make them more aggresive and heal from injury faster) with no education and extremely loyal/patriotic with no free thought of their own to do his bidding. That's where the line "I was just following orders" came to fruition.

18. MATT JOHNSON

Oct 11, 2009
    Nazi Germany took out anyone or anything that they hindered as a threat, Jew, Black, Sick, Cripple , Gay ect. Yeah I have read about the "scientific" experiment with Muscle enhanceing drug used to help make hitlers Super Army. Hitlers idea of natual selection was base soley on greed he wanted to rule the world how friggin greedy is that

19. bodyboardNJ

Aug 19, 2009
    although that is true, cows and chickens are in the end used for food when the dolphins meat has dangerous levels of mercury so it should not be eaten. Without these cows and chickens it would be much harder for us to survive, withought dolphin mean, we would actuall be more healthy because of the lower mercury levels