The future of competitive surfing, or the death of it?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by JohnnyCornstarch, Jun 10, 2015.

1. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
  2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I would love to see all contest sponsors go into bankruptcy. Obviously, I don't like the sponsors or contests. Having said that, I must admit, as a kid (16yrs old), I used to compete and dreamt of being sponsored. So, bottom line, contests are for kids. Money has ruined surfing for many. I have shown up a contest sites and have had "officials" start to stop me from going in the water. I give them the finger and go right in (in years past, not anymore). Aging gracefully is hard to do when you have sponsoring morons trying to dictate to you where and when you can go surfing, just so they can fulfill their marketing goals.

3. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Gay ass wave machine bull sit! Also fuk MSW, don't post their dumb ass british babble on this here merican site. We don't take kindly to MSW round these parts.

4. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    your schtick is so tired. work on some new material.

here's the slippery slope of competitive surfing. the best waves in the world where we want to see the best surfers in the world are total logistical nightmares in terms of webcasts and actual fan eyes on the contest live. i'd love to see the top 34 at cloudbreak, macaroni's, aileens, donkey bay/skeleton coast, etc but the powers that be need to be able to make some $$$ off all of this and those locations, as with most of the truly iconic waves are tough to get to.

5. saltcreep

saltcreep Active Member

Jun 8, 2015
    This all seems like how downhill skating took a plummet into moneyvile. When I first started to skate back in 09 it was about going out, having fun, get your stoke up. Go side ways and fast. Over the following years we organized small local races or big groups out to go too Maryhill and Targee. Soon after big board companies started to literally take over these hills or mountains and you had to be wary about going to these spots due to their riders or whoever from that company would show up and try to (and not even kidding) knock the **** out of you while going down on your board claiming it's their spot. Since then, the scene has became so cruel and not fun it left a sour taste in my mouth and quit. It's all about the money, sponsorships, publicity.

6. JohnnyCornstarch

Feb 24, 2015
    This kind of wave could be perfect as a WSL event, 20 second rides with different kinds of sections. It's definitely a way to get around wave subjectivity, and a consistent wave means that each rider can calculate their maneuvers a whole lot easier. Imagine how many sick airs we'd see if toledo or john john knew exactly when that perfect section is coming? I think it'd be pretty cool, man.

7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You lack the qualifications to be called a "surfer". Please join rollerblading site. Thank you.

8. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I don't think its either the future or the death of competitive surfing.

its just another underwhelming wave pool.

9. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    ^^^^^

I hear Oklahoma is the future of competitive surfing.

10. JohnnyCornstarch

Feb 24, 2015
  11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

We can only hope!!! That is where it belongs, safely ensconced betwixt hordes of yahoos!!!

12. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Well goody two-shoes for you!!

13. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    whats the matter you never got a tshirt or wax hookup

O BARRY

14. JohnnyCornstarch

Feb 24, 2015
    Thanks man! You should really try it sometime, great for your glutes and calfs. During a flat-spell I'll inline from cocoa to sebastian every day!

15. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    bwahahahaha

16. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    you full of shootz

17. JohnnyCornstarch

Feb 24, 2015
    You got me, I stop in Melbourne.

18. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Thats funny, too. Avatar is great

19. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I thought some mega rich guy bought the tour for his girlfriend, some billionaire named Ziff. He is also accused of planning to destroy the Great Barrier Reef for oil exploration/energy production of some sort. So there should be plenty of money to show great surfers on exotic waves in epic conditions. Hopefully before the reefs die and the waves become slick with oil.

I like local contests, they are good for the kids, and its fun to watch the old fart divisions, especially when they start yelling at the judges over the scores. High drama. It affords some kids mentoring and travel opportunities, and gives the old angry dude(s) an outlet rather than road rage.

The world tour has sold lots of surf trunks and surf lifestyle products over the years, and has given us epic moments and rivalries such as Kelly v. Andy, all the way back to Miki Dora v. The Entire World. So I think its cool.

Wave pools not so much.

20. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    I don't know aboot competitive surfing, but after The Big One, coming in the next ten years, Barstow, CA will become the epicenter of Southern Californian surfing.

Buy your property and stock-up on water now.

Really, I'm serious. See I don't cloud my mind so much with outside stimuli so my brain is sharp and receptive to predictions. I taught Sylvia Brown every thing she knows....and she get's on Montel and not me.....

Life ain't fair. Oh it's been fair to San Clemente for all these years, but the end is near. The end is near.

Just think some day Belmar may be under water and you'll be surfing Neptune, which is a great name for a town. Cosmic man.....