The Gulf Oil "Spill"

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by OceanCitySurfReport, May 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. OceanCitySurfReport

OceanCitySurfReport Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Has anyone been following this ? I believe we are being mislead with false info like the size, amount, and time frame. Just by looking at the outside experts what there saying its just unreal how much is coming out. So sad nothing will ever be the same in the gulf again! I've been watching the live feed from the gusher at the well looks like things are just getting worse i was watching the feed like 5 min ago and out of no where came this huge explosion of oil, rocks and big puffs of just shi*. Check it out you can watch it live here pretty sickening!

Live Feed From 1 Mile Below

2. NJ SPONGIN

NJ SPONGIN Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    I kinda have, i really dont want to follow it. I dont even wanna think about it. When i went out today water was all murky and the foam was all yellow, i got scared thinking if the oil came up here. I think its much worse than what they're saying to.:mad::mad::mad:

3. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Agreed,I just told my wife I can't watch this crap on tv anymore.It pisses me off.That CEO is a real jerk off too.That Jackass tries to spin everything.Sooner or later it has to come up here.Its only a matter of time.I know there are people for and against drilling but if they drill they should have a friggin back up plan if something should go wrong.(morons)See now im fired up again.

4. NJ SPONGIN

Feb 24, 2009
    I know..Its ridiculous already, i like how they barely tried anything and nothing worked. That would ruin most of my summer. and i feel so bad for all animals and stuff that have to suffer because of this.:(

5. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    a guy in the line up this afternoon made a great point- he said that he couldn't build a house w/out inspectors climbing all around the site & poking their noses into everything, yet we can create an oil field in the middle of the ocean w/ no back-up plan.

this whole thing is a mess, & while i've always been an opponent of offshore oil drilling, i used to be able to see how some could support it. not any more. the gulf is dead. all tourism for the season on the east coast of the gulf is dead. if the oil makes the turn into the atlantic (really only a matter of time), then the tourism along much of the eastern seaboard will die as well (which will make the debate around land use & birds on the outer banks a largely academic one). oil is a poison & will linger in the environment FOREVER. you can't really clean it up. even if we could get every scrap of visible oil off the beaches & out of the ocean & salt marshes, there would still be trace amounts, working its way up the food chain, in ever increasing concentrations, all the way up to humans. while oil covered birds, otters, & dolphins make for a convenient rallying point, they are not representative of the damage a truly massive oil spill like this can cause.

that bp has attempted to whitewash this disaster & make it seem less severe than it actually is inexcusable. they need to own up & stop trying to "recover" the oil so that they can still generate a profit, & start focusing solely on getting the well capped so that it can't spew anymore oil out. then they need to focus on getting as much of it out of the ecosystem as possible. & they should continue to pay for this spill for 100 years or ntil they go bankrupt. too many companies have created environmental disasters & gotten away relatively scott-free for the damage they caused.

i am infuriated beyond belief by this cluster-f--k. :mad:

6. slow96coupe

slow96coupe Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I cant believe that this issue is still going on.. Seriously is 2010 not 1950..
    Call BP and tell them how much they suck..

Office
    Houston
    Address
    501 Westlake Park Boulevard
    Houston
    TX 77079
    Phone: +1 281 366 2000

7. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009

thanks for posting that. not sure how much good it'll do, but it's certainly worth a shot.

8. lbsurfer

lbsurfer Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    yeah it was really nasty yesterday. whenever id fall and get a mouth full of water it was terrible. the only way i can describe is that the water had a little spice to it

9. NJ SPONGIN

Feb 24, 2009
    Yeah it was really nasty looking, and it tasted really bad also.

10. StuckinVA

StuckinVA Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I watched a show on Discovery about the Exxon Valdez disaster. The show was filmed late last year. They were digging holes in the ground about 8 inches deep near the shoreline and you could see the oil tainted water fill the hole up and clearly see that oil was very much present still, after all these years. The marsh ecosystems in the golf will be destroyed for, at least, the rest of our lifetimes. Just think, we may never eat seafood again. This is a complete disaster that is not getting the visibility and recognition it deserves. The more I think about it and the impacts it will have for my daughter and her generation, the more angry I get. We should ALL (the entire country) be furious at BP and the handling of this situation.

11. surfnut1018

surfnut1018 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2007
    where were you guys surfing that the water tasted bad...I was in OC MD and didn't notice anything too out of the ordinary.....though the oil spill (or rather BP's ****ing Disaster, oil spill is too tame really for this **** fest) seemed to dominate the line up conversation.

12. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Lets not forget another important thing and that is the dispersant they are using for the oil.The government is telling them to stop using it and bp continues to use this chemical.On goodmorning America the question was asked to the guy that makes it,would you swim in this chemical?He would not answer the question.

13. surfnut1018

surfnut1018 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2007
  14. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thats a good point. This disaster has not received the news coverage it deserves. I've heard 24/7 what that stupid B*%#$ Lindsay Lohan is doing but very little about the spill. People should demand more from the government run news media. We need to produce our own oil but if the oil companies can't stop a spill like this one they need to stop offshore drilling. I like affordable gas as much as everyone else but not at the espense of our oceans eco system. Hopefully the spill will be stoped soon and we can update our offshore fail safes. Take some of the BILLIONS in profit and upgrade equipment. I am disgused at the greed of the oil companies.:mad:

15. MattyBmore

MattyBmore Member

May 26, 2010
    Are you serious...Unless you are surfing in the Gulf of Mexico you're not tasting oil. Its probably just your hair gel from your jersey blow out. The oil isn't anywhere close to the east coast at this time. It's unlikely it will make it up towards jersey at all with the currents.

Dont get me wrong, this is the worst corporate caused disaster too date. It's estimated to be as much as 8 times as much oil as the exxon valdez. It will effect seafood prices for years to come. It has been going on for way to long (since April 20th.)

Below is a link to educate yourself on the situation before we start hearing about how you surfed oil slicks on your vacation to Hawaii. Something needs to be done but make sure you know wtf you're talking about before you post it for all to read.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/05/01/us/20100501-oil-spill-tracker.html

16. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    here's the map of where the oil is

Attached Files:

• oil.jpg
      oil.jpg
      File size:
      75.7 KB
      Views:
  17. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    Entertainment Tonight is NOT the news. Tune in to some of the mainstream media outlets - the oil spill has been all over the news.

18. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I'm not talking Entertainment Tonight. Until last night where a cable channel had extended coverage the reporting has been sporadic. Bits and pieces here and there but little through coverage. All I'm saying is for the severity of this disaster I think it was treated like a side note.

19. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    It is a side note for now because it's current impact on people is minimal. Most people could care less if a few dolphins or a bunch of shrimp die.

In the grand scheme of things going on today like the insane federal deficit, possible major war with North Korea, etc, the spill is not a big issue for most people.

20. SearchForShacks

SearchForShacks Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009