The Gulf Oil "Spill"

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by OceanCitySurfReport, May 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. spongedude

spongedude Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    thinking....

one would wonder why an oil company would lose so much product if they could avoid it, especially since oil is supposedly becoming a rarer and more expensive commodity. then one wonders how the political hacks are spinning this...while the left decries this as an example of big business gone bad and ecology disregarded, the right is gleefully calling this obama's katrina, as if that is a valid analogy. perhaps the loss of a few billion barrels might be worth it if this can lead to a more oil-friendly administration in two years....until politicians are willing to put CEO's in JAIL, not fining them (whats 100 million to a company that has made more than that in a month?), these businesses will continue to rape and pillage at will, the little guy....surfer, fisherman, crabber....be damned.

btw, one of the chemicals they are using to disperse the oil is made by a company now headed by a former BP exec...chronyism still reigns!!!
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7013476.html

btw, the water in so cal is HORRIBLE...you don't want to surf here...i will keep hittin the waves and let y'all know when it's safe .:p

i know...yer welcome

2. Skimdude10

Skimdude10 Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I thought that they plugged up the oil and it stopped coming out?

3. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
  4. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    This is just a disgrace not only is BP blatantly b*tch slapping everyone in the Gulf with their cavalier attitude and "We're doing the best we can bullsh*t" but Americans are sitting and complaining then going straight out and buying gas from BP. Its true we are a country of complete hypocrites. I see and hear people complaining about this everyday, but when i drive to the beach what do i see? Those same guys that are claiming to be pissed off driving their suburbans and lifted trucks straight to BP and fillin' it up with 30 gallons of the same **** they are so pissed off about. I can 100% guarantee you that if there was a nationwide strike of BP gas from DAY 1 they would have had this **** cleaned up and capped immediately. I mean come on people, stop talking and start doing. This is ridiculous take a stand, we the people of this country need to stand up and stop letting these corporate assholes run our country and do something about it. Im no politics wiz but Its obvious the people in Washington are keeping their mouths shut tight because they all are taking money from these guys. They arn't gonna do anything about it and why would they? These companies are the ones paying for their elections. They know better to badmouth the people that are shelling out millions every year. Politicians dont make a lot of money but why are they all loaded? Because sketchy companies (such as BP) pay them to get elected and look the other way when they are doing stupid **** like drilling for oil over a mile below sea level with no back up plan. I mean come on i cant build a f**king shed in my yard without some inspector coming in and checking it over. Where are the checks and balances? Why even elect another president they are all working for the same guys and those guys are the ones running sh*t. Not some pretty boy smooth talker in a suit. Our country is in a downward spiral from which we will never return unless there is a MAJOR change. Our forefathers didnt build this great country by sitting around and complaining, if George Washington was here today he'd walk up to BP's exec kick his door in, kick his ass, then drag his sorry ass down to the gulf and make that pansy clean it up himself.

I just read this and it infuriated me. Sorry for the anger fuled rant haha

5. Salty

Salty Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    ...need more oil!!!!!!...they'll be drilling off the mid-atlantic soon! ...can't hardly wait!!! i heard that the oil sludge slows the wave down as it breaks, so it will be easier to catch waves on really late take-offs!

6. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
    actually they put a hold on drilling off our coast for 6 months and same for any new drilling plans anywhere for 6 months.
    but bp i have to say are doing jack$h!t about they mess they made. like a month after the platform caught on fire the are just plugging the well. shouldnt they have been plugging it like right after the platform sunk.

7. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
  8. mexsurfer

mexsurfer Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    FFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i hate this f*cking oil spill, its never gonna ****in end no ones doin ****! do you see that ****in geiser of oil spewing that oil?! You think these ****s would be licking that **** up, but theyre selfish enough to ruin everyone in the gulfs summer, but more importantly killing organisms and habitats, ruining fishing/economy! I could do a better ****in job than this! How did they let this happen?!?! **** if this **** gets up to the east coast, wich if you look at a map has a long maze to the gulf stream, i cant explain at all how mad i am about this! they did permanent damage to the gulf and i hope they make something to replace oil quick, but more importantly stop this crap, i really hope BP has to pay every single ****in cent they have to fix this, then go in debt, leading them to lose theyre business, those ****s! how can some one have the heart to let this go, its really an unbeliveable disaster, think how those poor people in the gulf feel?!

9. eshore

eshore Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    With all of this corportate greed that is going on I am becomming more and more into the solar energy idea. The problem is that with us just stopping purchase from BP will only scratch thr surface of their profits because most of their money comes through many corportate companies and service providers who are in contract with BP. I think that the car oil crisis is only th beginning and we as a nation would be better off using all solar energy for our houses and continue to use oil for out cars. To be honest I don't think that I could give up the power of a gas car but I would do solar energy. Just putting some ideas out there. I also think that BP should pay all of the local fishemen great boatloads o money because of all of the business that they are taking away.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    That sounds great. I always have trouble with those late takeoffs.

We'll all need to get hazmat suits to wear surfing, though. Maybe somebody can design a combo hazmat/wetsuit for winter surfing.

11. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
  12. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
  13. DPBalto

DPBalto New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    This is a little long (7:45) but well worth the watch. The parallels are unreal:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9A36A3GTcY
    Note especially:
    -Who the oil company was the first time
    -Shooting spheres
    -Sombrero

14. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Holy ****! Wow, I had no idea that this same thing had happened 30 years ago, I guess I was too young to realize it at the time...she makes a hell of a point, these assholes haven't learned anything, they are putting all their time and effort into the same **** that failed, while thousands of gallons pour into the ocean every day...this is going to continue probably straight through 2010...sucks so ****in' bad! Hate to say it, but greed is the deadly sin that will eventually become our demise...to think that with all the natural disasters, asteroids and other things that could cause the downfall of our planet, that we are our greatest enemy!

15. puckscantpassme

puckscantpassme New Member

May 27, 2010
    they need to not leave BP in charge of this clean up. BP is looking for the easy way out and trying to spend the least money possible. A lot of other countries and private organizations have come forward and offered help but BP and the Obama administration keep turning them away. The Coast Guard is doing a heck of a job out there keeping large plumes from reaching the shores, but our service men and women should not have to be working this hard, BP should pay what ever the cost is to higher a private company to clean it up. Like you guys said earlier about some Russian company that could do it in 48 hours but BP turned them away.

16. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    nice link... makes this disaster even more disgusting.

17. UncleKev

UncleKev Active Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Thats the worst part there was a back up plan but nobody would give the go ahead to put it in effect. They had to get the ok to blow some valve on the ocean floor but took to long and lost the connection. Something like that I could be a little off on how it went down but still wtf? The preventative measures were in place these @holes just didnt use them.

18. spongedude

spongedude Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    it had to happen....

haha...i knew someone would eventually try to blame obama for this....he must have set the fire...but wait ...isn't this a halliburton production? actually, the admin has been passing along offers to BP, who is in charge:

evidence:
    Seventeen offers of assistance have come from countries and five other offers from international organizations including the European Union and the European Maritime Safety Agency, according to State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley. The assistance includes a range of offers, from oil boom to scientific expertise.

The State Department receives the offers and passes them on to the U.S. Coast Guard-led Unified Area Command (UAC), which includes representatives from BP, the owner of the well. The UAC makes decisions on which offers to accept based on what the immediate needs are -- but the final decision is up to BP, Crowley said.

Three offers, from Canada, Mexico and Norway, have been accepted. All three are major oil-producing countries.
    source:http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/26/gulf.spill.help/index.html

you'd have to show me where the ADMINISTRATION turned away outside help. the reason they've been relying on BP is because there aren't any "oil well explosion cluster****" experts on any administration.....and this oil company had over 700 safety violations last year, mostly related to these valves...the next nearest violator had 8.

evidence:
    BP’s History of Disasters

In 2005, BP’s Texas City Refinery blew up with the tragic loss of 15 workers and BP vowed at this stage to address its appalling safety record, says Mouawad. This should have marked a turning point for BP but sadly that has not been the case. Mouawad reports that among other accidents a BP Alaskan pipeline ruptured in 2006 causing a major spill and in 2009, the central processing plant in Alaska was found to have a leak that could have caused a serious explosion and subsequent environmental pollution. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration fined BP for an excess of 700 violations at the Texas City Refinery in 2009. Most of the violations were related to the use of faulty valves, noted as being a systemic problem with BP.

Read more at Suite101: Pollution by BP Oil Spill Suggests Need for Stricter Controls http://americanaffairs.suite101.com...ests-need-for-stricter-controls#ixzz0pZxw8X92
    source: http://americanaffairs.suite101.com...oil-spill-suggests-need-for-stricter-controls

stick to facts...or at least offer some support for your claims.... if you want folks to take you seriously

seriously

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010