The official fin thread

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Sandblasters, Oct 21, 2016.

Favorite fins

1. stiff fins

66.7%
  2. flexible fis

33.3%
  3. major foil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Who cares when you can have...glassed on

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    lets talk aboot fins, stiff or flex which there will be a pole. What is your favorite set of fins and why?

For me i like stiff carbon fins, my favorite thruster fin up is these old andy irons k2s i believe. For quads the rasta quads are amazing. Also i lost a fin a few weeks ago...im pissed.. long shot and doubt this, anyone know where i can get back up fin for my quads.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Shark fin soup???
    Mmmmmmm..........

3. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I suck too much to even know!

4. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    hell yeah barry best fins on the planet

5. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I cannot tell a difference between fins with regards to flex. Not even sure I can tell foils either. Only thing that stands out for me is fin size, so I can't vote. I do use ea blackstix and love them. Perfect size for me. I have some am2's too, like those to, but prefer the ea.

Iam just not good enough to really tell the differences.

6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Have you any fins made by the famous Roy Stuart???

7. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I have about 8 boards and half the time, I don't even know which one to grab...if I had that many fins to chose from along with my 8 boards, I would have constant doubt in my choices when surfing. Would be cool to experiment.

8. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I don't change my fins out everyday. I just pick one well rounded fin and leave it in there.

For my LB I really like the true Ames California classic. Pretty basic well rounded fin but deffinitly made the board feel more alive than the stock fin you get.

For my single fin SB I like the true Ames grennough 4A or I'll take the center fin out of the bonzer and put it in the single. The boards 6'3 and it came with a 9 inch fin. Both these are 6 inches, so can't really compare. But the boards much looser now.

And my SBs in still learning. I just modernized my quiver recently the past year or two.. Always rode niche boards but got myself two customs with another on the way. Hypto krypto sorta shape. Diffrent but similar. I ride the futures timmy stamps 5 fin set. Although I basically only ride thruster. I got them because I wasn't sure what I wanted and thought they were a good starting point and had the same template I was used to. I'm eager to try out those Rob machado fins though. The timmy stamps are a7 ride number I think. Machados are a 10 and super flexy, supposedly. I'll have to try those out before I can really give an answer on what I like. What I got works though.

The bonzer.....bonzer center fin obviously. That don't change. Just gotta mark the spot when I take it out for the single fin so I don't constantly have to adjust the fins position.

Anyone ever rude the machado fins? Comments on them?

9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ^^^

If you're talking about you daily driver at your local beachbreak, I think there's an answer to your question. But if you ride a lot of different boards, in different places, there's no one answer.

I like to figure out what fins work best with what board, and then I don't change them out. But I do like to experiment with every new board.

Generally... for the typical surf we get around here in my shortboards and grovelers... I like a stiffer fin with larger fin area, and some rake. But I'm a bigger than average guy. A little flex in the tip is good, but for the way I surf I like lots of drive. I like surfing with speed and power, and don't generally do a lot of flicky, snappy turns, or tail slidey stuff. I like being able to make sections and do big moves, so that determines my fin choices. I do like the inside foil fins, too. I think they have less drag... again, I'm after speed and power.

As for materials... I like the foam core fins. Lighter than solid glass, but about the same flex.

For longboards, I like some flex, and something that noserides.

In my fish and simmons shapes, I like well foiled wood keels. You can foil them thicker, and still get nice, even flex. Solid glass keels have to be foiled thinner to get the flex I like, because there's so much area they don't need to be stiff.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  10. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    For quad on fishy inspired templates (most of my boards), I keep coming back to the MR TFX fronts and GX rears. I have the MR fins in a few materials, but like solid glass best. Same thing with the trailers. I like single foil rears or 80/20 foil. The ones I like best are some glass knockoffs I bought off ebay fairly recently. I rode 50/50 rears for quite a while before realizing the 80/20 or single foil rears work better for me. Feek crisper, more snappy.

For tri fins I always go back to the AM templates. Sometimes I'll throw a smaller rear fin in, but nothing drastic.

I run old school FCS fins in my boards with FCS2 system, without the actual kit, I just use grub screws. It works fine. I was worried the exposed section of box would cause drag or something, but I notice none.

I should probably mix things up, but I don't get out enough these days so when I do, I really don't want to play around with fins. I just want something that I know works.

11. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Interesting...I had the basic idea but some things they discussed I need to apply.
    I hated the am2's in my fish, and only use the blackstix, which are smaller. My am2 is semi stiff but since it was larger, I thought it would be perfect for the wide tail. Never thought maybe it was the flex. Now iam wondering with going with a large fin like the am2 but with a lot more flex, would the board perform even better...
    https://youtu.be/JzGXL7TOHSo

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016