the rush of continuous rhythm

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by njsurfer42, Oct 22, 2014.

1. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i like this guy's thought process. his surfing ain't bad, either.

[video=youtube;SJpEHK6VjcA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJpEHK6VjcA#t=0[/video]

2. all4blues

all4blues Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Weird boards, but they compliment him. I like that he's making all this stuff for himself just to explore the possibilities. Seems like the right recipe for some kind of breakthrough to take place, even if it is just for his own surfing.

3. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Asymmetrical boards work great if you are always going the same way on the wave (left or right). OK for point surfing. Windsurfers have been doing that for a long time.

4. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    It seems to me that you could (and plenty of people claim to) design an asymmetrical board to go either way, because your surfing is by nature asymmetrical (i.e. you don't ride with feet parallel facing forward). But some of this seems to me like those experiments where they try to make an unrideable bicycle; it turns out almost any design is rideable, it just takes some getting used to.

5. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    what fun - perfect indo frontside and scads of designs with which to play.
    surfings' equivalent of data-crunching...
    yes i believe that if he shakes hard enough something might fall out...
    but bet it doesn't.

6. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    For a second there I thought that wave was 1:40 long.

7. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    He could have picked a better sponsor

8. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    even mr. slater has said that he thinks asyms are the future of surfing. of course, i'm pretty sure people said that about snowboarding, too. :rolleyes:

i could seriously watch this clip all day & not think twice about what he's riding. just smooth, stylish, & fluid surfing that reminds me a little of curren-if he were a goofyfooter.

9. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah, dude is certainly nice with it and covers a ton of style bases while he is doing it. Must be nice to have that nice Indonesian canvas to paint on all day =)

10. Gnarbutter

Gnarbutter Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Dude rips...this is the surfing I love most....smooth like a baby's bottom.

11. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Saw this clip posted on the erBB. Someone made a comment that caught my attention about his stance. Anybody else have that narrow stance when surfing?

I definitely do.

I try to be conscious about it when surfing, and try to be a little wider. Doesn't happen all the time.

12. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    I some dude who is quite ravishing and he stands close together

13. BassMon

BassMon Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    That's the dude who rides a fish at chopes right? From the article I posted in the humbled and confused thread. Never heard of him till I read that article, but damn he has such a smooth style. That's the type of surfing I enjoy watching. Something beautiful/majestic about guys who have style like that. Good stuff.

14. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Lopez?
    [​IMG]

15. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    A long time ago I met a guy out surfing on Singer Island, Florida. It was head high but semi closed out, kind of sectioned and unpredictable as to where the peak was. He said, "It's really hard to get into a rhythm on these east coast waves."

The guy in the video is Tudoresque in a shortboarding version. A great fluid surfer. Many of us least coasters, if we had Pavones or some 400 yard peeling lines to play with, could be in a zone of continuous rhythmic stokeabilly: shoobeedoobee doobee wop Blam!, diddly widdly Kaplaw!, doo wap a bee bop a Shwack!, doo doo a woo woo Kapow!, on such beautiful, predictable walls and barrels (4 per wave no less).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  16. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    A buddy of mine grew up longboarding classic noseriders, then learned to shortboard, and has a very narrow stance and is very stylish. I learned on a single fin shortboard, then advanced on a twin fin and surfed all sizes of waves, so my stance got too wide when I went to a thruster. The Indo board cured me. Now I have a decent middle of the road, knees pointing at each other stance. (Twin fins on big waves can force you into a survival stance mode since the boards are so skatey.) Did you learn to surf on a longboard?

17. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Very good video . Very clean surfing and look a board design in a new light. i could watch this all day

18. leetymike808

leetymike808 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    I agree with ya MATT so refreshing to see some flow in the mainstream

19. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I did, and I continue to regularly ride longboards

20. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    must be.