The snow low

Discussion in 'Weather and Surf Forecasting' started by JayD, Jan 20, 2016.

1. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Well, weather guessers have provided some general modeling for us to digest.

For surf, it appears we get some decent conditions to really good conditions (cold ).

The weather...looks like nc/va line will be on the cusp of rain snow line. DC up to 2'. Points north???

Hoping once low moves off we get strong ground swell and light offshore winds....looks like winds will be very strong as it moves off but eventually backing off with plenty of swell left.

2. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Not any good surf here. We are POSSIBLY looking at 6 to 12 inches or more. Who knows. Surf is DOH with 40+ mph winds. Sooooo, I am going to make some wings and drink some beer

3. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Definitely be prepared with Provisions.... I sure you will be. Depending on back end of storm/ west wind.... Could get really good. If the wind never lays down then wing it

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Man that's nothing, if it were 41mph I'd say it's too dangerous, but 40? Pfft, get after it, what you waiting on?

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This.

I have my pizza ordered. Chinese food ordered. Snow boots on. Warm coat on. Winter hat on. I have my laptop charged. Iphone charged. Ipad charged. 3g/4g network phone charged.

6. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Cracked me up

Do you have your #9/12 on?

7. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Better believe it.

8. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    You do a great job being prepared, all the time. Do you have your snow scoops and shovels ready, as well?

9. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    In situations all you need is bread and milk.

10. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    If you don't pay attention to Frankie's advise, all I can say is best of luck to ya.

11. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    And Eggs... We down here in the south love our French toast when we are incapacitated by two inches of that horrible white stuff...

12. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Yall are pussies, im charging down highway 95 to wherever can withstand the wind in my subaru in over a foot of snow. Come on its just snow guys, waves are waves. Gnarly conditions mean less crowds. My girlfriends canadian so snow just gives me a boner.

13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    IF the forecast holds true, NJ is gonna be VAS with about a half a foot of snow. Usually we get the offshore wind cleanup from the trailing cold front right behind the low, but this time it might not swing into position until after most of the swell energy has come and gone. Could be nothing but "leftovers"... without the main course!

14. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    come to the north....there are many nooks and crannies that should be favorable with the forcasted wind and conditions.

15. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    I do, and my snow pants and snow jacket, all the time.

16. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I lived in Northern NY and Western NY for thirty years... I was coming home one night from a ski resort I worked at. I couldn't see the road at all. Behind me, off in the distance, I could see the lights of a snow plow. I put on my hazards and flagged him down so I could follow him into town. He passed me and as I'm following his little beacon, I see it suddenly go sideways. He had missed a turn and had driven into a ditch... He had to be pulled out by another snow plow. NO MAS SNOW!!!

17. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012

i remember that snow storm that hit north carolina a few years back. Everybody on 40 was spun out in the ditches and going like 30 mph with flashers on for less then an inch. I just hauled ass down from New England 14 hours back from christmas break and thought i was used to snow, so was driving like 80 the whole way passing people and cursing them and ****. Well i got back to my house in NC, and found out one of my buddies was trapped on the side of the road with a breakdown so I drove back the way i came down 40 another hour to pick him up so we could drink.

I got to him, and started hauling ass back going like 90 or more cause i was sick of driving, hit some blow over snow that was on the highway (which apparently the one plow in north carolina forgot) and it made my car swerve from one side of eastbound 40 to the other other side of eastbound 40 across all lanes, I jackknifed and did a full 2 360's going wayyyyyy too fast and we both thought we were gonna die. Luckily, we ended up sitting in the middle of the highway breathing hard opposed to rolled over and dead. Ive always been way more careful and humble about driving in the snow since then.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  18. shaunfig

shaunfig Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Some novelty spots come alive with this size swell if you can get to em

19. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Every now and then I make a funny, pure luck

20. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Yo Shaun Figz if she blows NE type directions your zones will be off shore all weekend

Ah the Glory of LI...when there's a n'easter blowing everywheres on shore except them zones

Yeah everyone should probably head to NY LI if you want huge shacks or shaks this weekend