Thoughts on this winter

Discussion in 'USA Mainland Surf Forum' started by BassMon, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Surfin_nj

Surfin_nj Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2014
    I really haven't been a big fan of all the snow and how cold it's been but the waves have been pretty fun I even think summer was fun aside from the really flat weeks. I really enjoy the chest high days also I had a session today real clean with some chest high sets

2. Kalmyk

Kalmyk New Member

Jan 28, 2014
    I just came back from PR. Surfed for 9 days. It was rad. Anyway, December was good. I hope February and March will bring us the good swell. Im thinking of paddling out tomorrow morning. Is anyone up for it?:)

3. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Long Island has not been so hot waves wise... and its been pretty damn cold this winter.

4. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    It's getting deep here. the front moved and the 1 foot that was supposed to be in OBX is now 13.5" in Nerferk Va.

5. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Bridges are closed here. Too much ice, even after they had a salt truck covering each bridge.

6. livesurfish

livesurfish Well-Known Member

May 13, 2013
    Only 49 left until spring I'm done with winter

7. livesurfish

livesurfish Well-Known Member

May 13, 2013
  8. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Too cold for me and my leaky suit bring on the summer fun

9. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    VB has been fun for the most part. me and killa have been on it when theres waves but dammit it hasnt been this cold in 3 years easily. there's at least 2-3 inches of now on the ground already here. worst hasn't started yet. going sledding at the cavalier tomorrow if anyone wants to join. will be keeping an eye on the surf if the wind switches

10. captbirdman

captbirdman Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Have had a few good days randomly throughout the past year, some very very good days in jerz early this winter but overall i feel like the waves have been weak and sporatic at best. no real good runs for 5+ days or anything like that. Like you said where have all the mellow chest to head rippable days, its been death barrels or mush...It'll turn around...it has to...birdman says so

11. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I was out off 1st Street Oceanfront (VB) late yesterday (Monday) afternoon for about 90 min trying to milk a dozen or so rides out of what was at best 2 ft. Was the only kook out there. Heck, it had been 10 days since I had last been in the water. Besides, it was warm, and I wanted to get out there before the forecasted cold front hit. Air temp was 61, wind SSW at maybe 10 mph. Water temp around 44, semi-glassy. Saw quite a few dolphin - all swimming south. Nice orange sunset.
    Then at 5:25, and it was like a big fan was suddenly turned on. The wind did a 180 and jumped to around 30 mph. Instant chop. Once out of the water, the board was like a sail and practically carried me back down the beach to the parking lot. Had a tough time getting the board strapped down on my car. By the time I drove out of there, the temp was 43 and dropping - on it's way to low 20s. The snow started hitting here late Tuesday afternoon.

12. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    its cold out this winter....

and snowing....

but always like summer in Belmar, NJ

#Everyonewhoiscoolsurfsatbelmar

13. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    coldest December/January ever here. must be that global warming, ha-ha. January had a lot of waves for a change but ridiculous cold. usually it's a long flat spell here. february is the coldest water but usually has waves with no one around. the cold usually keeps kooks away. plus surfs are shorter so name breaks are more fun. less guys out for shorter surfs, now.

14. southjerseysurfer

southjerseysurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2014
    haha "shorter surfs" ive been out the last week of waves for around 3 hours. Ice all over my hood, gloves, suit, i think my feet froze in my boots too

15. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    exactly. most people it's a fact not as hardcore as you don't go out as much or stay out as long in February making it less crowded and more doable at regularly overcrowded name spots

16. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I think this past week was the first week I hadn't surfed in a long time. And there were a few days that were rideable... I just didn't go. Been very consistent for the first half of winter, with a couple really, REALLY good days.

17. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Before winter came I wasnt sure how I was feeling about surfing winter this year but glad I am! After this past weekend with 39 degree water, glassy. only a few out and a nice 4 ft peak with long peeling rides; I'm totally stoked and prefer it over the summer blues. Maybe the best part was walking to the break with snow on the beach and the streets. Yeh Mon!

18. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    This winter has been way more consistent than last winter on the Delmarva. Between Christmas and February 1st last winter there were about three decent days. This winter easily a dozen fun days in the past six weeks.

19. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    agreed. VB has been fun down here at least once or twice a week. going out for a sunset sesh tomorrow after class. get on it boys.

20. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I've had an awesome Winter so far, Fall was good too, been getting out every weekend without fail, and have taken several 2-4 day trips to get on it every morning and every evening on the E. Coast. Not to mention, there have actually been a few REALLY good days on the Gulf too believe it or not. Between the two it's shaped up to be really fun and consistent. Waist to Chest has been the average I would say with multiple head high+ days thrown in here and there and a few major swells too. Best surfing I've ever done has happened in the past few months, so that probably has something to do with it too.