THRUSTER vs QUAD - Buddy-x

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by brukuns, Aug 17, 2012.

1. brukuns

brukuns Active Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Hey everyone,

I just order a 6'1'' Buddy-x from Surf Prescriptions, Have anyone ever surfed this board? any opinions, if not on the Buddy-x, at least on the RXP bottom?

Also, I will be able to use this board both as a thruster and as a quad. Never surfed a quad before. Can you explain to me what are the differences I should expect between the two?

Should be almost ready now! :cool:

Cheers

2. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    typically a quad will be faster from the take off...more instantaneous speed, while a thruster tends to need to be "worked" a little more to get up to speed. quads tend to be "looser" than thrusters as well...depending on the shape (i'm not familiar w/ doc's shapes at all), the quad will really play into the "skatiness" factor of a board more than a tri fin would.
    personally, i've found that quads take a bit more experimentation & patience to get really dialed in w/ the right fin set up, while thrusters are more "plug & play" for me. don't get me wrong, i've really been liking quads lately & have started getting the majority of my boards made w/ the tri/quad option, but i find that it takes more time & effort to really figure a quad out than it does a tri fin. but i still like thrusters, too.

3. brukuns

brukuns Active Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Thanks for the tips,

I had no idea that a quad was faster from the take off. I will definitely try it out, but probably when it's not too big, around 3 to 4ft.

If a wave is hollow, I'm likely better off with a thruster set, right?

Thanks!

4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I agree...

I like quads in smaller, weaker surf as they help generate speed better than thrusters. As the waves get bigger or more powerful, the emphasis shifts from generating speed to maintaining control at speed... at least for me... because the wave provides all the speed I need.

5. brukuns

brukuns Active Member

Aug 2, 2012
    I already have 2 thruster fin sets, FCS AM-2 and the K3. I'm thinking about buying the FCS K2.1 quad fin set.

I really love my 2 thruster sets, do you think the K2.1 will be a good choice?

6. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I have the K2.1 set and love it. I haven't really tried any other sets on this board but hey, its Kelly Slater. He doesn't just put his stamp of approval anything old thing that comes along. I'm actually trying to get that little 5th fin that he uses on bigger surf with the quad set up just for kicks to see how it works.

7. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I think it's a great choice. I have a bunch of different quad sets and the K2.1 is my favorite. Definately my go to fins set up

8. brukuns

brukuns Active Member

Aug 2, 2012
    yeah, I might get those... actually, probably getting those. Also thinking about getting that smaller 5th fin. A friend of mine just got it, but hadn't have a chance to test it just yet... He expects it to allow him to surf on his quad set even when it's bigger and hollower... I may give it a try too.

9. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I made my own litle 5th fin by cutting down another older fin and re shapping it. It makes the board ride like a single fin on steroids!!! Super fast and holds the line awesome!

10. brukuns

brukuns Active Member

Aug 2, 2012
    That's a great idea... I have an old set of fins that suck, that they may be good enough for this.

11. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    i agree w/ LBCrew in that as the surf gets better, the emphasis switches to controlling speed rather than generating it, & for that, i still prefer a thruster set up. i did recently have a board made by brian wynn w/ the idea of experimenting w/ quads in better surf in mind, so we'll see how that plays out...can always run it as a tri fin.

fin-wise, i'm a bigger guy, so i've never used the k2.1's, but the quad rears from that set are my go-to quad rears for most boards. my favorite high performance quad set up is G-AM fronts w/ K2.1 quad rears. i just picked up a set of the MF-1's & am stoked to try them out the next time we actually have waves. i tried a "nubster" type fin in my hp quad groveler & was unimpressed...added lots of speed & hold, but stiffened the board up beyond belief. i think that it's something that's better suited to larger, steeper, or more powerful surf rather than waist high wind swell. i'll keep it in mind for my new wynn, but it'll never touch my groveler again.

the cool thing about the kelly fin sets is that the thruster rear fin is the same on both sets, so even if you just buy the k2.1 quad set, you can still try it as a tri b/c you have the k3's.

12. brukuns

brukuns Active Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Hey njsurfer42, I didn't quite understand what fins are exactly the same on the K3/K2.1

I understand that you can only be talking about the side fins for the K3 (because the other one is the central fin, wouldn't make sense, obvously), but on the k2.1, are the fins closer to the tail the ones that are the same as the K3?

I'm into saving money, so if that's the case, I would love only having to purchase the 2 other fins of the quad set.

Sorry if that was confusing, english is kinda rusty... need to move back to the US to remedy that.

13. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    sorry, i may have explained that poorly.

on the k3 & k2.1 thruster sets, the center (rear) fin is identical. so if you want to try the k2.1 as a quad & a tri, you don't have to shell out the $120 for the 5 fin set, just for the quad set (which it sounds like you're already planning to do), b/c you already have the center fin from your k3 set.
    just to clarify (from the fcs website):

k2.1:
    Center

Base: 4.28" / 109mm

Depth: 4.41" / 112mm

Area: 14.22"² / 9172mm²

Sweep: 31º

Foil: 50/50

k3:
    Center

Base: 4.28" / 109mm

Depth: 4.41" / 112mm

Area: 14.22"² / 9172mm²

Sweep: 31º

Foil: 50/50

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  14. brukuns

brukuns Active Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Thanks man, It's absolutely clear now :)

still gonna have to purchase he quad set though :(

Aloha!

15. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    glad that cleared it up...you won't regret picking up that quad set, though

16. brukuns

brukuns Active Member

Aug 2, 2012
    hm, my Buddy-X is ready... as soon as I get it this Saturday (long drive, no can do before the weekend) I'll post comments on it... hopefully I'll be able to test it this Sunday, although it will be hardly 3ft...

17. brukuns

brukuns Active Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Alright, here we go. I tested my new Buddy-x on 3 to 4ft, fair conditions...

The board is fast, although at first glance it didn't have much hold on the take off, I have to take a full bottom turn (I felt this mostly going backside)... still I think it's only a matter of getting used to the board, my friend tried it and managed to take off straight into the wall, but he was on his frontside though.

Paddling into a wave is a pice of cake, never had a board such as this one, I can already see my wave count going through the roof.

Here's a picture of my baby. buddyx.jpg

Any comments are more than welcome.

18. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    quads are a bit more difficult to get up and going on your backside, i'm not exactly sure why though. maybe because they're looser and you're pushing it down with your heal? anyway, on waves where you're riding frontside, they're great for getting down the line or through closeouts. you do have to make a more gradual bottom turn on your backside though (or at least i do).

19. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    i just got my first quad and i absolutely love it man. really fast, lots of hold in turns, cutties, etc, and it takes off immediately. i have it on a fish and i wish all my boards were quads now. experiment man. it's the only way!

20. brukuns

brukuns Active Member

Aug 2, 2012
    to be honest, since I still didn't buy a quad set, I surfed it as a thruster. I'm in Brazil, and fins here are super expensive... but I'm traveling to SoCal this early September, and I will buy a quad fin set there...

Still not sure if I should get the K2.1, or maybe the Q-PC5... I'm looking at the specs on that set and they seem rad!