To Surf Alone or Not?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Gallo, Feb 4, 2014.

1. BassMon

BassMon Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    ^^^^ I had a buddy (he just moved away) who I would surf with alot. It was always fun to have someone to talk to but he wasn't too good. I didn't care how good he was but he wouldn't take advice from me, he would take twice as long to get his suit on/off, he wouldn't be catching waves so he would want to paddle down the beach even though I was catching plenty of waves. Lots of stuff, little things. It made the hooting with friends thing not so fun. I wanted him to do good, I'd see him paddle for a wave and hoot for him and he would kook out then not take advice afterwards. I'd find myself craving to go out alone. However the camaraderie aspect I do miss. There are two older dudes who I surf with alot, really cool guys and fantastic surfers. There always a blast to be out with. I'd rather be out with them then alone. Or anyone who is friendly really it's awesome meeting cool guys out in the water. But around here you can be out with one other guy and get grilled the whole session. In that scenario I'd rather be alone

2. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I go out of my way to surf alone. Sometimes driving hours unintentionally. If I had friends that would be cool too, not too into the crowd thing.

Only was really sketched out once, and that was on a 10ft day in Big Sur... that place belongs in Jurassic park.

3. bassplayer

bassplayer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    I mostly surfed alone last winter. It wasn't like this one. This winter has had some heavy/frigid days. A few times the reports say 3ft, and when I get there it's head high. I'm glad I had a friend with me. The older I get the less I feel like surfing alone. I'm not sure why. I have more fun with friends now than I had in the past.