Under layers for cold water wetsuit?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Caroline Campbell, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Gnarbutter

Gnarbutter Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Party on, Crewby!

2. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Not sure if I agree with wearing something under suits, unless it is a artificially heated vest or shirt.
    The concept of a wetsuit works by trapping small amount of water in the wetsuit micro pores in contact with your skin, which is then heated by your own body temperatures and keeps you warm.
    Putting a layer between the wetsuit and your skin negates that effect.
    What they really need to do is develop a suit that is more wind proof. Cold winds will drain heat out of you more than cold water, because the wind gets through the suit and chills the water you have in the pores.

3. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I agree, but neoprene is also an insulator, maintaining that water trapped against your body at a warm temperature, vs the cold water/air on the other side of the neoprene is insolation. 5mm. of neoprene helps maintain that temp differential (insulates) better than 3mm. neoprene. A thin layer of wool inside that wetsuit is also a pretty amazing insulator, I've learned this winter.

i agree with the part about the wind protection. The "shiny" wind resistant exterior of pretty much the entire upper body and arms part of a Matuse is noticable in that protection. mm. for mm. that outside wind barrier really helps.

4. Sleazeside's Finest

Sleazeside's Finest Active Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Thanks for the heads up Mookie
    Not excited for any extra warmth but i'll deal with it if it means I can get out of the suit faster

Right on Riley
    Jay S worked there for years
    good friend of mine
    I'll leave it at that because I cant tell if your real name is Peter Makebelieve or Johnny Storytime and you're just messing with me ...rightfully so as we are on the line

5. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Fcs changing toga- priceless...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003A.../184-1610211-8779504?fp=1&pc_redir=1427821240

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005QAAD60/ref=pd_aw_sim_sg_2?refRID=1TQ6468WFENJ7RZ8CVAH

I would get the second one... I use mine all the time so much easier then a towel or anything else.

6. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    That's right, I only use 100% organic, free range cat fur wetsuit under garments. cat fur.jpg

7. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Nah, no messing around.

I rode for Wavejammer in the late 80's. Back when I ventured into North Jersey and was a dedicated member of the CNJ/ESA under the watchful eyes of Gary Clayton and Doug's buddy Don Tarrant.

OMG, Sleaze, do you know Doug? Hey, some chick's house blew-up there the other week. I hope y'all are ok.

8. Caroline Campbell

Caroline Campbell Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2014
  9. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012

Have you tried the trick of putting a plastic grocery bag around your foot to slide on the leg, and around your arm to slide in your hand all the way? It really helps a lot.

Now, getting it off is dicey. Bags are useless. Last weekend I actually wrenched my back taking off the wetsuite...it's just staring to feel better. ... On two occasions I punched myself in the face pulling on the suite, it slipped out of my hand while pulling, and the hand flew up and punched my face. What a rookie move!

10. illuminite

illuminite Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2014
    is it a northerner thing to say wetsuite?

11. surfin

surfin Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    i have 2 pairs of oneill 8oz thermo lined spandex shorts and a long sleeve thermo lined rash guard . Shorts work great , Can wear them on the way dry and makes changing easier . As for the top , never liked it , as some said before . Adds bulk . For the feet . Leave a bottle of hot water rapped in an old wetsuite . When feet start to get cold . Pour a little down the bootie , presto warm footsies .

12. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    No, not really... It's just proper.

The proper spelling is actually 'WETSUITE'

13. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Hilarious!

14. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    when i finally get all my winter gear on i stop; kinda tired, need a break.

15. Caroline Campbell

Caroline Campbell Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2014
    UPDATE !!
    [HR][/HR]
    Even though I have to say it's one of the strangest purchases I've ever made I bought one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARAJXE2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have to say it worked so well!!! Also it's nice being all one piece so nothing shifts around while in the water & it has built in socks.

Strange looking? Yes totally. It was worth it though so I don't even care, especially on a super windy day like this past weekend.

if you want a laugh you can read the creepy reviews..some strange people in this world for sure.

16. juliaep

juliaep Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I bought some underarmor running tights to help keep me warmer in 40 degree water. I might give this a try next year. Thanks for posting. Stay warm!!

17. Krappenschitz

Krappenschitz Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010