wetsuit sale?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by kev711, Sep 14, 2010.

1. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    ive gotten 3 brand new quiksilver suits on ebay and paid about half of what i would have paid for one of them at retail. they are past models (2008) but brand new and absolutely nothing wrong with them and serve me well. i got a 4/3 for $75, a 3/2 for $50 and a short sleeve 2/2 for $40, how could i justify paying double that for just one suit. im all for supporting local shops and they get all my business for the small stuff that i can afford to pay retail for but for a $350 suit or $700 board its just not happening...

2. kev711

kev711 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    i see that a LOT of people like buying online because of the price....i do with just about everything but isn't it REALLY important for the wetsuit to fit JUST RIGHT? or can it be a little snug, long, short, loose?

3. bruzza

bruzza Member

Dec 17, 2007
  4. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    how much mark-up do you think boards get, exactly??

i'll answer this question for you, so you don't strain yourself: $75 MAX. so the next time you ask your local shop for a "bro deal" on a board, consider that. if they knock more than $25 off the price of a board, it costs more for the shop to stock it than it made them. that's a losing proposition & not a tenable one for a BUSINESS to hold. guys like you are the reason shops have trouble staying in business. you've decided that cost is more important than supporting the soul of surfing & buy $#it online or at costco.
    while i enjoy the discount i get for working at a shop, i'd just as gladly pay full price for my gear if it came to that. i very rarely accept any severe discounts on boards, btw.

5. JERSEYboarder

JERSEYboarder Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2009
  6. CMSsurf21

CMSsurf21 Member

Nov 16, 2008
    anybody know if any shops in the area that give money for selling used suits to them. guy i worked with talked about it a while ago but i forget all the details. thanks

7. bodyboardNJ

bodyboardNJ Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    i know thers a guy in manasquan who is a rep from bodyglove who every spring and fall has a real nice sale on new suits. I got a 3/2 for 90 a few years ago and a 4/3 bodyglove vapor last year for like 170. Not exactally sure wen the sale is but probably comming up soon.

8. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    yeah it is important for it to fit good. once you know your size though your set as long as its the same brand. some brands are a little different but if you have a suit that fits you well and you can find another by the same brand then youre good to go

9. kev711

kev711 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    looks like wetsuit wearhouse is my best bet when it comes to price.

i'm usually going to be surfing either on long island or jersey.any suggestions on thickness or wetsuit features that i should be looking for (chest zip, sealed and taped seams..etc)?
    just incase it helps, i'm 5'5, 157lbs, 29in waist, about 42in chest.

should i go tighter or looser if i'm in between two sizes?
    thanks so much for the help guys

10. johnnyd

johnnyd Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    That's where you really need to just bite the bullet and get one at the shop. Wait for a sale. Prime example. I wear medium t-shirts. I wear size 32-33 waist pants. I wear a size Large Billabong 3/2 wetsuit and a size Large Tall Rip curl F-bomb hooded 5/4/3 and that is one snug SOB. Sizing is all over the place and different brands fit differently along with the mils involved. If its your first wetsuit, you're waaaaaay better off to buy from a shop and make sure it fits right. Nothing worse than that cold water creeping into a loose seem and hitting that spot right above your butt crack. That'll make jump right outta your suit that you saved $50 on.

Plus, if you spend $50-$75 more on a suit that fits you properly and divide that by how many times you use it, conservatively 50 before its bad? You're spending an xtra $1 and change for max comfort and piece of mind. In january and febuary you will be very pleased with your investment.

11. kev711

kev711 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Nothing worse than that cold water creeping into a loose seem and hitting that spot right above your butt crack. That'll make jump right outta your suit that you saved $50 on.
    t.[/QUOTE]

LOL!! thanks for the picture....point taken..lol

12. kev711

kev711 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    oh yea...how about thickness? should i just stay to a 3/2? i really doubt i'll be surfing in jan, feb....that's my snowboard season :)

13. MaxG72

MaxG72 Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I'm from CT as well and to my knowledge THERE ARE NO SURF SHOPS IN CT except a few boating/scuba shops, just not the same. My only fear for buying online is the fitting. I won't have one this weekend in R.I. but nothings keeping me out of the water... g/l kev711

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  14. johhnyutah

johhnyutah Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    I'm surprised Matt hasn't chimed in yet, ;) but I'm a convert to Hyperflex suits. If you want to extend your season in the fall and especially in the spring, get a 4/3 that can get you out into water in the 40's (I've worn mine in 38 degree water but I got real cold). Hyperflex suits are much cheaper in price but great suits. The Amp has lot's of flex, is very warm and fits me great. I'm about the same size as you and wear a Medium.

Good luck bro

15. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    do they sell 5/4's? i need a new suit for january, february, etc

16. tibu35

tibu35 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    get your suits from the shops......trust me you will be happier with the final result unless you absolutely know your size..... i made the mistake before and i'm still waiting for them to credit my account

17. kev711

kev711 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    ok...looks like i'm going to have to hit up some shops. anyone heard of any shops having some good sales?