What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by all4blues, Aug 22, 2014.

1. CYCOlogist

CYCOlogist Active Member

Dec 7, 2019
  2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Big sound for a 3-peice.

3. Notaseal

Notaseal Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015
  4. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Gabin are a DJ/Bass duo who stake out a very special corner of the lounge scene. Specializing in sensuous grooves full of languid melancholy, they are a unique part of the electro movement. In a stroke of pure genius they summoned jazz siren Dee Dee Bridgewater to provide her renowned top-flight vocals to their aesthetic. Truly an "orgy in rhythm".

Listened to this disc on on the way to the waves today. For the life of me I couldn't shake "Into My Soul" out of my mind. I didn't mind one bit.

Play this one for your lady friends; you can thank me later...

antoine likes this.
  5. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
  6. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
  7. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
  8. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I took my old vinyl copy of The Clash "London Calling" and listened to it the other day and cant believe how deep that record is. For a double LP, there isnt a weak song anywhere to be found, and some of the lesser known tracks are just mind blowing.

I love the things that Mick and Joe wrote songs about.

"Wrong 'em Boyo" is about an almost mythological figure - a black man that was murdered in St. Louis after a bar fight with some white guys around 1899. Mythological, because there are so many versions of what happened and the killing was the subject of dozens of blues songs in the 1920's and 30's. The guy's name is even only vaguely known but most call him Stagger Lee.

"Spanish Bombs" is about the killing of Basque separatist freedom fighters in the Spanish civil war.

"i'm Not Down" digs into the cliche' that rich people are really less happy than poorer people because reliance on wealth for fulfillment can be so empty in the end.

Just three amazing songs on a slab of vinyl that is a gold mine.

I cant stop listening and am trying to learn some of these songs on the guitar.

DonQ, headhigh, World B Free and 2 others like this.
  9. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    A play guitar and find some of those songs pretty straight forward. Not to difficult or over reaching. My fave guitar is my taylor 6 string aquistic. I prefer to play mark knopfler Steve windwood Eric Clapton and artists who have unique picking styles. Keep getting after it!

Mitchell likes this.
  10. World B Free

Feb 7, 2013
    Hey Antoine, check out this Steve Earle cover. The intro alone is worth the price of admission.

Webb Wilder is true juke joint legend. The "Idol of Idle Youth" never hit the big time but never forgot where he came from. To this day he plays every show like it's his last. Too country for rockers and too rock for country, he hits a sweet spot the cognoscenti lap up.

I've caught his act in dives across the Southeast for 30+ years. Cheap beer and hot woman summarize the scene at his shows. He's still on his endless tour so check him out while you still can. Tell 'em World B. sent cha!

antoine and Carson like this.
  11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I went on a Clash kick with the uke and there's a few songs that sound good if they have that ska thing going. Police and Thieves... Rudy Can't Fail... that stuff.

But my favorite album is probably Give 'em Enough Rope. Probably for the memories more than the music. But yea... they had (but not always) that punk ethos and had a lot to say politically. It amazes me how much they actually knew about politics, history, society... very informed for a punk band, and they weren't afraid to alienate people with their views.

antoine and DonQ like this.
  12. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    It’s too bad, that a lot of the messages in song are forgotten through the generations. It’s a universal language and cultural connection, that speaks to those who truly listen with their hearts and minds.i Personally, I don’t think most of the artists of today have much to say. Maybe it’s because it’s all been said before and times are different and filled with hate and division and focuses on selfishness. Maybe I’m wrong and probably don’t understand the youth of today that drives the music market but that’s okay...neither did my parents.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    antoine likes this.
  13. World B Free

Feb 7, 2013
    In honor of Headhigh resurrecting Frost's self-outing thread, let's take a peek at K7 stallwarts Tosca. I invite all of you who can swim to join in.

O Frost!

"Swim swim swim and you might just win"

Notaseal and antoine like this.
  14. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Great. Grateful. Dead.

antoine likes this.
  15. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011

Early Doobies was the Doobiest Doobies.
    Which Doobie you be?

antoine likes this.
  16. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
  17. tran_l

tran_l New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Listening to ABBA once again! This is my go to when I am thinking too much.

18. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011

Some guitar greats. Organ player isn't half bad either

19. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Way to go Pj you inspired me to post this

LBCrew likes this.
  20. Notaseal

Notaseal Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015