What makes ocmd tick

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by southjerseysurfer, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Like late 1980s?:D

[​IMG]

2. DrPin

DrPin Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Wow - That one has to be scanned. Makes me think it actually was better when I was younger. Seeing your from Milton, you must also have scored good DE breaks in those days. It doesn't seem like so long ago that I was surfing the NJ alone with a no surfing sign and lots of stumps and peat, but even then, couldn't believe my luck. It seems unreal today.

3. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
    I always seem to have either incredible or awful sessions in OCMD. It's never in between. Others have already pointed out what conditions seem to work better, so I won't bother repeating them.

4. GnarlesBarkley

GnarlesBarkley Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
  5. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    nah, that place used to be good but the only really good spot left is OCMD. OCMD fires.

that place is overrun with sharks, fishermen, and SUPs

6. wet dreams

wet dreams Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Once upon a time all the shore towns in de used to break. Had some great days in Bethany, Dewey, even rehoboth. Now they are all shells of themselves. Bethany in particular really used to get good. Now it's just a novelty. It's really a shame. I remember getting dropped off at keybox when I was a kid before there was only fishermen there. Used to be super fun and tower rd as someone else said was a good spot. I miss those days. It's like de was wiped off the map. Crazy how they've completely changed the landscape.

7. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    The best spot in Delmarva is definitely Slaughter Beach

8. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    So, what happened that changed everything?

9. waveft6

waveft6 Active Member

May 20, 2014
    Is surfing allowed at Cape May? If OCMD is anything continental shelf-wise like VB a waist high 5 to 7 sec period swell will grow to head high and stay open where a head-high 9 sec swell would provide the same size but will close out. Translation, longer period is over hyped on less exposed portions on the east coast. You want a frothing tube in OCMD, hit the short period days in the waist to chest range, fight your way out, find a good wedge, and dig in. Some of the funnest surf I've run into has always been when I thought the period is too short and the waves too small. offshore are a must, dawn sessions fight the heat island effect in summer.

10. DrPin

DrPin Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2008
    About ten years ago, some winter storm uncovered the jettys in Bethany - no beach and waves rolling under the boardwalk. Longer period south swell was working. Super fast hollow rights racing over multiple jettys. As fast as you could go until it finally closed out. Again, such great wave quality, I couldn't believe where I was. It was moderately crowed, but not as crowded as it should have been given the quality. I never even told my friends. Of course, the gubment soon covered them again. Maybe some day the money will run out for "replenishment" and DE will get it spots back... Although the new IR bridge has surely screwed things northward more permanently .

11. matheson

matheson Active Member

Dec 7, 2014
    vb is good 5 days a year. means i drive either north or south for swell. 9 times out of 10 i go south. and when i go north it's usually to nj. i have scored ocmd tho. my point being that at least it's not vb.

12. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    I'm pretty sure they aren't replenishing this year. They did it around sep-jan last year and I haven't seen any machines there. I got my soft top ready to run into some tourists this summer.

13. maria.stant.5

maria.stant.5 Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Are you serious? Cause that would be awesome. They haven't messed with it all winter and you can def tell! Not as bad of shore break as it usually is. My fiance actually went surfing at ovpkwy about two weeks ago and he said he had an awesome session there. Who knows, maybe this summer I can stay in de a lil more...but I usually jut make the early morning trip to assateague once the weather starts warming up and the sun gets up earlier.

14. maria.stant.5

maria.stant.5 Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Yea it makes me sad that I wasnt surfing years ago cause I would have loved to seen it. Everyone tell me about it though, especially hurricane Bill. But I make do with what I got in de. Its home break :)

15. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    I will suggest the Catch Surf Super one for Bethany. It's like a soft skimboard with fins. Better then a beater. (since lifegaurds don't allow hard boards)

I had a session in around september that was like a mini pipeline.. unfortunately I only had a sponge. Man, what a great day. 4-5 ft clean and barreling so hard, breaking far out. Best day I ever had at bethany.

Probably not a good idea to go with hard tops. Theres always a million tourists swimming around.

High tide will probably be better

It's gonna be epic for hurricane sessions.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  16. maria.stant.5

maria.stant.5 Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Yes! Well good thing we only surf there this time of year :) Skim there while there are lifeguards. But I try and avoid bethany all summer haha! Bethany has been popping off this winter! I had a skim sesh there back probably in January where we just set up by ovpkwy and the waves started to break pretty far out but then wil close in on shore right at a perfect little decline! It was averaging about 4 to 5s, it was just a sick sesh.
    I need to check out ocmd...Idk why I never have hit some waves there yet, I live so close! But I longboard, and I feel like ocmd is full of short boarders?

17. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    longboarding at OC is a bad idea. Good on some days I guess. OC is a lot similar to most places in jersey, pitching waves.

18. wontonwonton

wontonwonton Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2007
  19. maria.stant.5

maria.stant.5 Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Ok so im not missing much then lol. Ill stick with North side inlet and the 'teague. And of course, the occasional Outer Banks trips.

20. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Someone axed if surfing was allowed in Cape May.....

No.

Nothing's allowed in New Jersey, but we do it anyway. Everything is illegal here because it helps keeps the animals somewhat in-line.

Bunch of savages around here.......as they say in Leonardo...Middletown or whatever.....