What would you do???

Discussion in 'USA Mainland Surf Forum' started by gansett09, Aug 2, 2012.

1. gansett09

gansett09 Member

May 25, 2012
    I was out surfing at my local break yesterday evening and the waves were waist to stomach at best and windy. So pretty much the waves were few and far between and not that great. My rant goes like this...

There are about 10 people out with two peaks at most with 6 longboarders and 4 shortboards (I was a shortboarder) , so the longboarders "owned" the spot according to them. Now i know a lot about surf etiquette, but what amazes me is when Johnny Longboarder on his soft top catches a wave and gets right back into the lineup and goes for the next one, when we have been waiting.

At first I was calm about it because i cant blame him for using a longboard because he had the advantage over the guys with the shortboards, but after a while it really got annoying. Obviously the guys on the longboards are going to be further out and why would they give up sets coming right at them, thats not my argument, my argument is how can someone catch a wave and then paddle out for the next one, and then the next one and think nothing is wrong with that?

What ultimately ended up happening was that we sarcastically thanked him for giving us the scraps and took whatever we could get. Unfortunately, with summer there is no surf etiquette and thats something that you will have to deal with. I will just have to look forward to fall and winter surf when Johnny longboard and his soft top friends stay the hell home.

2. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    was he a summer pro???

3. Anthonyz

Anthonyz Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    I feel your pain man.. I posted something kinda similar to this not to long ago. This happened to me and when I actually tried to grab a wave I ended up with my board cracked at the nose. Then was told to surf on the "beginner side"..

4. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    drop in on that haole

5. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    does he paddle in front of you back out or goes around?

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Wavehog... no excuse. Using your equipment to take advantage is a d!ck move. You could sit outside with him, get into position, and start paddling for "your" wave early, and it's still your wave, even if you have to paddle all the way in to where you were sitting before. Wave comes... you give him a, "goin' right" heads up, and start paddling. You'll be doing a lot of extra paddling, but that's what you could do.

Or... (my favorite)... as he's paddling around you for the 6th time, tell him, "dude... you paddle around me one more time and you won't get another wave to yourself for the rest of the day." He'll either be like, "sorry dude.... my bad" and play nice. Or... be prepared to keep your word.

7. idsmashh

idsmashh Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Dropping in is more dangerous to you then him... That's why it was your fault.

8. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    You said it right here. And AKAPump is right - did he paddle thru or around? I'm also with LBCrew, get to your feet before him. Nuff said.

9. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    how can someone catch a wave and then paddle out for the next one, and then the next one and think nothing is wrong with that?

cause he's a **** thats why

10. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Next time, paddle on the other side of him. If he goes for it, he will be cutting you off. In a civilized manner, address the situation: "Hey 'Fiskers,' stop cutting me off."

11. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    was he the type of guy that paddles for a wave, misses and and then trys to paddle for the next one in the set? like nobody could go till he gets his. i can't stand that.

12. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    you should have jumped on his board and tried to tandem surf...after all it was a soft top.

13. RhodyPedro

RhodyPedro Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    If you were surfing town beach, Gansett, I feel sorry for you. I was looking at the cam yesterday and laughing at the swarm of "surfers." I ride a longboard but I give shortboarders their due. Try some other breaks. I had a peak to myself this morning.

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    ^^^ This, so much easier than paddle battles all the time

15. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    well if you're gonna stay and surf there, dropping in on someone is not the best technique. A few formative years at first street taught me to sit right on top of the breaking wave as close to the peak as possible then..take off behind him...call him off...shred behind him and make sure you push him to far to the shoulder that he dorks out...when he calls you out for being a d!ck tell him to stop shoulder hoping... lastly prepare for a
    1.fight
    2.yelling match
    3.heated debate
    4.insult or at the least
    5. an intelligent discussion on surfing etiquette
    If your not ready for 1-4 then surf somewhere else

16. Anthonyz

Anthonyz Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    I can agree and disagree.. I was paddling for that wave first and the guy who hit my board was just passing by me towards the wave coming in behind me. He came out of nowhere when I thought it was clear...instead while he was paddling towards the wave, he set up for it and caught it, while I was about to drop in. It annoyed me but in a sence.. I was dropping in on him.

17. purpleheadedyogurtslinger

purpleheadedyogurtslinger Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    What would I do? Go home and grab the log. Then sit about 10 feet further out than him and just put him through hell. If you can't beat them, join em.

18. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    By a "WaveJet" sit a little bit deeper than him every time.

19. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Funny you mentioned.... I saw some dude on one of these last Sunday, either it was a Wavejet, or he somehow figured out how to hookup a trolling motor to it or something, because dude was just standing upright and the board had bubbles coming from the back and his board was moving at about 1mph behind the lineup, he never tried catching a wave, I don't even think he knows how, he had a beer in one hand i think and was just cruising and having a good ole time

20. trueislander

trueislander Member

Mar 10, 2012
    We get crap like this during summers in WB constantly on anything bigger than knee high. I'm not really phased by it now (used to get me heated back in middle school circa '92). Now on days like that (yesterday) I do several things in a specific order.

1) STAY AWAY from the packs. I know there are breaks where that's not possible, but in NC there's usually plenty of peaks. If it's less than chest-high (which is often here) I'm on a longboard. During the summer I'm on my beater longboard. I make a point to follow etiquette (trading sets, paddling back out around the peak, calling left/right, asking if someone is "going", etc)
    2) If I'm dealing with a repeat offender (that insists on dropping in, snaking, wave hog repeatedly) I'll say in a nonchalant manner, "I thought I had that one." That does 2 things at once. a)It shows that I'm following etiquette and was going to go. b)I'm not going to just sit there and not call them out.
    3) If they do it one more time I say, "Look, on the next set I'm just gonna to go."
    4) It doesn't normally come to this, but the many brown spots on my beater speak for themselves. So I keep my word and go on the next set...regardless of their actions. I've run into boards, got my shins banged, pushed them off their board Mickey Dora style, had someone scream at me for a minute straight, etc.

Point is, most of the time it only gets to #2, sometimes #3. If it gets to #4 they're a **** (or deaf and inconsiderate) and are going to do whatever they want until someone stands up to them. LBC and Smithfield are right though, you've got to back it up. Not that waist-high summer chop is worth it, but eventually enough is enough.