What's Your Next Surf Trip Going to Be?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    If "price point" is a major factor, i'm not sure why you'd pick the Caribbean for a surf trip. There are a couple exceptions, but my experience the islands are pretty expensive. I spent less scoring world class waves in El Salvador than I have scoring good but unreliable waves in the Caribbean.

2. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    ^, I was just contemplating with my girl about surf trip (s) this next year and I was mentioning how I could go to Centro twice or Hawaii once. The value proposition for surf trips is relative I guess.

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Fear not--I am just being an asshole--hahahha!!!
    BTW, I have been to Italy twice--the Italian food in the USA is a million times better than the rubbish the restaurants in Italy serve. France, however, is incredibly great, for food, for surfing, and especially the mademoiselles!! But, admittedly, I haven't surfed there ....yet.

4. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Ditto, Yank's living the "Dream", you can throw a dart at a SI map and he's surfed it, sends ya good Pics too. You have to Luv him for it ..........:)

La_Piedra and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  5. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah my guess would be if I had to rank surf trips ive taken on a high quality waves per dollar spent calc. Panama and El Salvador would rank up top. As much as I loved Hawaii, its pretty expensive to get to. Honestly, ive had great trips to San Diego and Santa Cruz where I felt like between cheap flights, camping and cheap hotels the great sessions/$ ratio was pretty damn good.

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Barry, I just sent you an email. It’s unrelated to this thread / post.

7. marksharky

marksharky Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Puerto Rico next Wednesday $11 RT with JB points.

8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I replied this Saturday AM 5:50

9. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks again!

10. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Yeah... Snails are delicious.

11. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I'm all about cheap air fares,warm water,and 3rd world countries.

id like to go to indo but personally feel my skill level isn't up to par with indo,plus they feed u dogs without ur knowledge.central America and mehico is the best bet.

id love to eventually go to spain and Portugal but there swell window is the same as ours on the east coast.even tho there waves are a helluva lot better

12. Aqua boy

Aqua boy Active Member

Feb 9, 2012
    0D3A2EDC-8D9B-4182-B612-DFED6460C30B.jpeg Just went on a caravan trip through Spain and Portugal with my family For the month of October. Surfed the Portuguese coastline from Sagres to Porto and had a few good sessions in Basque Country as well. The trip was epic. We actually found ourselves in peniche for the ripcurl pro with 3-4x OH waves at supertubos. Was awesome to watch, but I got food poisoning from some cheese so wasn’t able to surf. Snapped some sick photos though. Was able to see Nazaré at 30ft-ish with a few chargers out. Some of the locals that I talked to when there said the day before we arrived it was 60ft+ “Like mountains”. Food is unreal, like some of the best things I’ve ever eatin and I love food. This is a shot of Mick Fanning pulling into an absolute bomb... he made it, the man is a legend. Also, my lady and daughter (just over 1yo) met Gabriel Medina, Mason Ho and Matty Wilkinson at the ripcurl flagship store later that day while I was dry heaving in our caravan from that delicious cheese.

13. Sandbar18

Sandbar18 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    I'm an average surfer...but have been to Indo (Bali) 3 times. Unless you go when its absolutely pumping, you'll be ok. I have not done a Mentawai boat trip, where I'm sure it gets a little sketchier (shallow, access to help is much further, etc) Certain breaks in Bali are far more dangerous than others - don't paddle out to low tide Impossibles or Padang right when you get there. Also, go in their offseason (our winter). There is always a wave, but the waves, and the crowds, are generally smaller. If you can surf the big days in NJ, you'll be fine at most spots in the world in quality OH and smaller waves...in my experience. As for the food - it is what it is. Go to the open markets where you actually watch them cook the chicken/fish/dog. Enjoy.

14. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    2 month Mex van trip this summer.....Agree with what is said on this page. Indo/Central A and Mexico are the places to go to get great waves for cheap....tons of fun beachies to surf in MEx without another soul in site. I am in the word position of having long vacations but not having tons of money...which I am fine with. Indo is amazing but you end up spending a lot on interisland flights. Peru is another awesome and cheap destination..cheers yall

15. Rob Gnarley

Rob Gnarley Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Good info thank you. I'll have to look into El Salvador. A buddy of mine has good things to say about Ecuador as well.

16. Rob Gnarley

Rob Gnarley Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Barry you are the man. France sounds like a neat place to go. I'd like to spend some time in the alps as well. Maybe some day.

17. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Not deeming it a “surf trip”, but my girl and I are booked for Delray, FL in early March. If there’s any wave around I’ll be surfing.

If there is surf, it’ll be my first in Florida. Hopefully there’s a little something to ride. Regardless, we are stoked to get away from the cold for a bit.

18. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Hopefully something to ride??
    What??!!?? Ride your girlfriend, man!!! What is wrong with you???
    Kids today......

Kanman likes this.
  19. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    We need pix of your GF to deem if she's suitable for Delray.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  20. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    its looking like I may be down there too...visiting a friend and getting some warmer water. St Augustine will probably be my dwelling place (I like that little beach town).