What's Your Next Surf Trip Going to Be?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Sep 30, 2016.

1. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    ive never seen anything like this in all my 53 years.

Yankkee and desandan like this.
  2. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    So I just booked my flights to PR with Jet Blue and he’s getting me cost for bringing a bort. He thinks it’s $50 each way but I’ll find out. I’m tempted to just rent since I’m only gonna be able to surf two and a half days but for $25 more I can be riding my Roberts... I guess it depends on what’s available To rent as well. If I can get one close to the Roberts then I’d opt for that and save the worry and headache of bringing it.

BassMon2 and sisurfdogg like this.

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    If forecast calls for sizeable surf, bring the boart you are most comfortable on. It gives you confidence. Riding an unfamiliar boart in an unfamiliar place with dangerous surf isn’t how I like to roll. If waves look average then go ahead and rent. Game day decision.

Edit: on 2nd thought, I would bring my own boart regardless. That’s just me. I rented my 1st trip, and brought my own the next 3. No comparison. He has decent boarts but still a rental.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Board fees AFTER August flight bookings are $100 each way. Before August booking, it is $50. I am going to rent, but then again, I no longer give a shit if they rent only longboards, short boards, or midsize. I have fun on all of them, big or small surf.
    Back 50 years ago we surfed Tres Palmas when large on longboards, no leash invented yet. But allow me to give you a warning--if you have no experience in large waves, stay away from Tres Palmas--it is Okay to be an observer. Every now and then bodies of the inexperienced surfers with big egos are extracted from there.
    I will no longer go out when very large; my glory days are behind me. I survived them; do the same--your family needs you, I am sure.

5. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    On one trip to PR I rented from this guy (Bobby) who was right up the hill from where we stayed. I liked that he had a nice selection of boards and for one weekly board rental rate, he was fine with my keeping a step-up shape for a few of the bigger days and a fishy shape for the smaller ones. His boards were just as good as my boards in a large array of shapes and sizes, and i don't mind surfing unfamiliar equipment that much.

http://www.puertoricosurfinginfo.com/surfboard-rentals.html

MrBigglesworth and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Yes, Mitch--that is Mar Azul--it is where I rent my boards as well. Bobby and his wife Raquel are nice people.

7. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Impressive initiative.....and simultaneously insane that major corps are this infarcted

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    It’s getting redundant guys. :D

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    MrBigglesworth likes this.
  9. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    That’s where I’m gonnabe staying. And Barry, I have NO illusions of what I can and can’t do on a surfboard and tres or Wilderness are NOT on my to do list - I’ll go and see but that’s that. I’m a HH/OH a tad kind of guy.. meaning I’ll try them lol. Reef breaks and other stuff, I’m very cautious and not a big risk taker so advice received.
    I’m tossing the idea around based on what I can get for deal on cost - if it’s more than $100 then I’ll rent. If not I may take my bigger Cougar that’s a great combo of big enough for comfort but small enough and shaped for decent performance. If that was the case I’d also maybe rent a shortie for a day... May even try some one on one time with an instructor. It’s all wide open though so I’m stoked.

goofy footer and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  10. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Id bring the roberts man. My reasoning is this. Generally..... generally...... the SBs are small and if you need a bigger boart it's fun shape type stuff. With the progress you've been making i think bringing the roberts would be good for you. I doubt they have SBs like your roberts down there. They might. Im just speculating. All opinion too.

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    They have decent SB’s but probably nothing as nice as his boart.

12. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    His is like 6'8 and beefy. No offense to Mr. B but it's a bigger/older guy SB. Iv never seen rentals like that. Almost like the shops assume if you need that volume your not riding a SB anyway.

He took the endeavor of riding a SB by the horns. I just think it would be really beneficial for him to ride a SB in warmer/better waves. I can go basically anywhere, if they have rentals it's almost guaranteed they got a 5'7-5'10 for me. A beefy 6'8 SB geared towards performance? That's kind of niche, ya know

Yankkee and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Agreed. The closest boart I recall him having in that range was a 7ft bloated SB. I rode it a couple days and it was OK, but not great. I’m sure he’s gotten different boarts since then though lol

14. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    I actually had this arguement with myself not 20 minutes ago haha. I’m gonna bring Roberts- if it’s only longboard waves then I’ll rent. It’s a lousy $25... and the big reason I’m making this trip is to learn the shortboard better on good waves and good conditions. And it’s the bort I’ll be surfing up here so why “learn” on one and then have to learn a new bort all over up here.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  15. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    My thoughts exactly. You'll have fun regardless what you do. But you have alot to gain by bringing the roberts.

16. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    6’10”x22”x3” so yeah - beefy and no offense taken whatsoever, it’s what I built it for, based on a lot of input from here! It’s built specifically for “bigger” guys and was exactly what the doctor ordered. They built it to turn on a nickel and be fast and the only thing missing has been good waves to really learn it. PR is hopefully that. But no matter, I’m so stoked to do a trip like this that I’d be happy with thigh high long bort days.

Yankkee and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  17. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Yank, they refunded a 100 bucks but im going for a full refund when i get back

Yankkee and MrBigglesworth like this.
  18. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    Bobby says “hello”

Booked up solid now. The clock is ticking like I have a giant mofo crocodile hiding behind me hahahah

19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Cool, I always liked that guy, careful he’ll talk your ear off lol

20. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    Huh? What?

Haha