What's Your Next Surf Trip Going to Be?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    You have plenty of time to recover. Do stretches, see if you can be given an opioid for just a few days. Hot baths, each AM, and again in evening. At night, sleep with a pillow between your knees on your sides- it takes positional stress off of your back. Laying on your back can aggravate it.
    No alcohol while taking opioids, sir. Only morons mix those two. Deadly combo.
    And....have a great time in PR. When there, go into ocean with NO board...float looking up at sky--relax your back and your entire body while floating.
    Dr. Barry

2. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Wow, panhandler!! Great going--I hope you have great time and with the family!! Could not be better!!
    NZ is one place I would love to see!!

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Some good advise so far. I would add that I’m careful to not overdo the stretching in the beginning when my back hurts, it’s too easy to reaggravate the injury or sore area.

I will start by just laying flat on the ground on my back using a yoga mat or something similar and just relax my entire body. Then I bend my knees, knees in the air, feet flat on the ground and relax, knees touching each other, you should feel your lower back being pretty tight at first but then just let your body do the work, let your weight and gravity pull, hold it and take deep breathes. You’ll feel it loosen up after a good 5-10 minutes of this.

Then from same position, keeping legs bent, let your legs slowly fall to side, hold the pose, then let them go a little closer to the ground, hold the pose, until you get your leg to the ground, twisting your lower body in one direction and head in the opposite, go slow till your bottom knee touches the ground and top knee is laying on top, you should turn your head in the opposite direction your legs are going, till your face is touching the mat. Take deep breathes and hold them. Do each side twice and take your time.

Then return to laying in resting position, feet on mat knees in air and bent. Rest again for 5 minutes, letting the pressure release out the lower back, feel the gravity pulling through your hips.

I also recommend stretching your ham strings, they can pull on your back muscles.

Start with that first day, then slowly add other stretches each day. Don’t over work the back too early is my advise. That, and lots of herb, and receive BJ’s to completion from and laying or sitting position. It will insure a speedy recovery. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  4. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Get your pelvic ring aligned by a good PT. Not kidding. Do it today, your back will be ready by Saturday.

MrBigglesworth and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  5. Yankkee

Nov 8, 2017
    Wheels up CR in 3 more sunrises.

6. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Edited my post, I was half asleep when I wrote it.

7. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    So, I have an outside chance of going with a large group (12-16) and rent a badass private unit (sleeps 24, maids, chef etc) in Manuel Antonio. The place looks so unreal. There would only be two surfers (me and my cuz). Group vacation/party/fish/surf etc!

I have always blown through that area in route to Pavones and other than a quick stop in Quepos one time, I haven’t surfed that corridor of the coast.

Anyway, any swellies with recon for that stretch? I can identify where the spots are...looking for anecdotal evidence to maximize the scene. Looks like October 19 or January 20’.

8. Yankkee

Nov 8, 2017
    Go JD go! Epic surf trek in the making :cool:

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Have you been to that area? Not sure yet on it. Sorta waiting to see if they pull their act together before I throw my hat in.

10. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Wish I could help you but I'm waiting on the same info you are lol. Wife wanted to go to Manuel Antonio last trip but I voted her down.

Place looks super cool and it's a big lush national park. Probably go there next CR trip. I did some research and it seemed like you had to go to Quepos or Dominical for surf iirc. But I usually explore anyways, not much for sticking to whatever's out my front door.

11. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    My next surfing trip will be the bathtub with a yellow rubber ducky to ride.
    Actually, on a serious note, I would like an Indo trip, but I hate long plane rides. The trip from Boston to PR was bad enough and that is about 3 1nd 1/2 hours.

desandan likes this.
  12. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    I checked some of the areas out around there on the way down to Pavones. i think you're better off south of the park like Playa Matapalo. there's a couple by there too, just don't remember them off top of head. i thought Playa del Rey was better than Quepos, Quepos dirty as sht, both north of said park. also heard ppl surfing that wall by Manuel Antonio, but i'm pretty sure that's a no no

13. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Hatteras for a week in April. Does that count?

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  14. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yes, abso-f'ing-lutely!

nopantsLance likes this.
  15. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Iv had back issues for 12+ years. Since high school. It tends to be fine because i stretch alot. When i fall off the stretching schedule is when it starts messing with me.

With that being said, here's my advice.

1) this is purely my opinion. No offense to anyone. But i highly advise to stay away from any pills. Im a bit extreme, i won't even take aspirin or tylenol for a headache. Seen to many people close to me ruin their lives. Some starting from a minor injury. I know it's an extreme opinion, but it's my .02, you can heal other ways. And actually heal other then masking it.

2) stretch and heat. Like others suggested, take it slow. But i bet you'll be feeling better in a few days. When i get flare ups it usually takes about 3 days off good stretching. IMPORTANT.... hips, legs, shoulders, basically everything. Stretching just your back may help, but to be safe stretch it all. Your back could be over compensating for tight muscles else where.

3) take it easy. If your feeling better at day 3, keep stretching and relax. Iv felt better to many times to just reinjure and go back to square one.

There's been plenty of swells when i get a flare up and have trouble doing simple things like get out of bed. I do everything i just mentioned and I'm good within a few days for swell. To be safe, start stretching now and don't stop till your back from the trip. Or you could never stop stretching. That works too.

Hope you heal up and have a fun trip!

16. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Saw mr dr right after posting and he echoed a lot of the si brain trust. He put me on Aleive, said ice 3 x daily, then heat starting around Friday. Said light stretching is a great idea, as long as I don’t push it. Also said to take it easy (no soccer till after I get back - I play in adult leagues 3 x a week). Thanks for all the solid advice. The thing that caught me off guard is that I’ve never had back problems before. I run abt 15-20 miles a week, play soccer, surf and hit a suspension trainer a few times a week and do yoga every so often. Im not overweight and thought I had a strong core??? I think as long as I rest, keep stretching and take it easy I’ll be good to surf. The first day I couldn’t bend over and touch the top of my knees, today I can almost touch my feet. Before I got hurt I could bend over and put my palms flat of the floor. I’m still in shock that it happened in the first place.

17. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Like i said, more often than not it's not your back. The back just over compensates for tightness or weakness else where. Regardless, glad your feeling better!

mattinvb likes this.
  18. Yankkee

Nov 8, 2017
    Pelvic ring

Seriously

mattinvb likes this.
  19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Looking to do the same...

20. Sandbar18

Sandbar18 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    What flight/plane do you usually take to PR?
    The flights to indo, maldives, etc are so much different (better) than the Southwest/Jetblue flights we normally use.
    I get in a zone and mow through a bunch of movies. Trip back is worse b/c I've gone through most of the good movies, but I'm usually pretty exhausted, surfed out, sunburnt, etc.
    You won't know unless you go.