What's Your Next Surf Trip Going to Be?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Sandbar18

Sandbar18 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    PR: All of the surf areas (NW coast) are in good shape and did not seem to have any impact by the recent quakes.

Nice Barbados report. I spent about a week there last year. Caught a good north swell - Duppies was big, and Maycocks was perfect head/oh. Not too crowded either.

I did manage to get on soup bowls once - it was fairly clean, and it is a heavy waves.
    South coast when I was there was waist high.

Unique island, fun and would go back. Jetblue flys direct from JFK.

BTW, travel trick...if you use GoogleMaps for navigation, you can start it when you have WiFi (hotel or restaurant), then go into airplane mode if you don't have data and google maps will still work for a single destination or if you think ahead and lace out different spots.

eatswell, LBCrew and antoine like this.
  2. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Barbados is a cool bucket list spot but PR is overall way better imo

3. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    still lining up that mexico trip looks like april

ukelelesurf and desandan like this.
  4. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Nice!

Simple tip for unfurled and anybody really. No need to ever be stuck w/o GPS. There are apps w downloadable maps. You don't need a cell signal it just runs off your phones GPS and will work anywhere in the world. Just have to download the map before the trip. It's what I have used a bunch of times in Mex to drive all the way down to Oaxaca. It will even show you where you are when you get off mapped roads so you can tell if you are still driving towards the coast etc. Have found a bunch of epic unknown waves this way (and struck out way more ( : ) Also used it on a moto trip over the himalayas and the last trip in Portugal. Works w/o fail. The best one I've found is called MAPS.me but YYMV. You can drop pins on it too to save your spots, good hotels, unposted roads, etc....check it>

mattinvb, UnfurleD and Carson like this.
  5. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    which color pin are the trap houses?

Notaseal, SCOB3YVILLE and desandan like this.
  6. ukelelesurf

Apr 25, 2007
    pink....of course

antoine likes this.
  7. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    San Clemente California in June.

Notaseal and antoine like this.
  8. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    o cj

antoine likes this.
  9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Spear Fishing trips to the Keys in April and Block Island in May.

Notaseal, UnfurleD and desandan like this.
  10. NotAMasshole

NotAMasshole Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Google maps lets you save/cache maps. As Ukelele said, it works off of your gps and you don't need a cell signal. This will even work in Airplane mode as long as you have your location turned on. Open google maps, click top right corner, go to "saved" and add the area/state/country you want maps for.

desandan, antoine and steef like this.
  11. ukelelesurf

Apr 25, 2007
    Didn't know you could also do it w google. Alas, I'm 5 years deep on maps.me and don't think I'm going back. It's been so helpful for all the Mex, Baja, and dirtbike roadtrips

Notaseal and antoine like this.
  12. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Looks like none of us are going to be travelling anytime soon. I'd normally be heading down to Hatteras this month and was going to be heading to California in June for NSSA and some travelling up the coast with my son but all of that is off now. Who knows when getting on an airplane to surf somewhere else will be an option again.........

sigmund and SCOB3YVILLE like this.
  13. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    Dude, space coast. Head hi+

antoine likes this.
  14. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    yeah. I don’t think most people realize how serious this is. Even if travel is an option, people were paycheck to paycheck last month. Dropping a grand (low end) to travel for waves won’t be that important.
    I’m hopeful things will get better, but I’ll tell ya what. I’m not buying the 20/21 IKON pass..

sigmund and antoine like this.
  15. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Yep, we got burned with the epic pass. The first thing I thought when my son's school was closed, is let's go boarding, then they shut down the mountains. We'll see if they offer any discounts for pass holders...

SCOB3YVILLE likes this.
  16. ukelelesurf

Apr 25, 2007
    My plan is to cross the boarder into Mex on June 9th....we'll see. I'm giving it a 25% chance as of now.

Whatchya'll think?

17. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Not gonna happen. Better plan might be to cross the border into Oregon.

UnfurleD and SCOB3YVILLE like this.
  18. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    Work turned on heavy restrictions w the laptops being remote nowadays. But I wanted to thank Antoine for getting me out by the pier yesterday morning for the short session. Yesterday was what i was hoping for all 3 days going to Cocoa but it left me in good stride, plus it feels like a Monday today. Got to give the new Alchemist board a go, which will now be referred to as Pepe. It's got some bite n carves like a charm w the twin set up. Waves went from shoulder to head hi that morning to chest to mouth hi in the afternoon sessions. Lil texture n southernly drift, breaking soft, but rideable in trunks made that trip well worth it. Also ate at Lil Zs pizza all 3 days, supportting local one bite at a time

antoine and SCOB3YVILLE like this.
  19. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    My next surf trip is today. Spanish house

UnfurleD likes this.