Where's the Tropicals?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Salty, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    This is a strange summer! There should have been one or two meaningful tropical storms by now!

2. offshore

offshore Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    We're currently ahead of last year, just haven't had anything off of Africa yet. Mid-late August it'll hopefully ramp up.

3. whosthat

whosthat Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2011
    So much for Don.......unless you're headin' for Texas......on deck is Emily.

4. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    thread #300 w/ the same basic topic.

it's july. the atlantic cyclone season doesn't really get rockin' until mid-august. so far there have been 4 named storms, 2 of which have been in the central atlantic basin. that's pretty ****in' awesome if you ask me! no, we didn't get much (anything) in the way of swell, but so what? it's a good promise of things to come. relax a bit, go for a swim to keep your paddling muscles in shape, & have a beer. it'll come. patience.

5. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    swell will be here weekend of Aug 12, since I will be out of town during that time. That form of surf forcasting has
    a good track record

6. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    The Wave Machine is broken, the new part needed to fix it is on back-order. Could take a couple of weeks....Go fish...

7. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    the ocean has stopped moving here

8. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    same here...just got back from a quick dip to rinse the sweat off after doing some work on the house & it was full-on lake atlantic; kinda shocking since there was a little micro-bump this morning while i was working out. thought about taking my log out, but figured i'd wait until the tide swung around & started pushing again. dumb. :eek:

9. Rockyn

Rockyn Member

Mar 4, 2011
    They're in the tropics.

10. Topo

Topo Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    It is still July, the most boring month of the year if you surf on the East Coast.

11. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    although, I have managed to make dawn patrols and have gotten pretty lucky...just can't wait for some sizable swell...haven't seen any of that since April 17th....but I got my fingers crossed.

12. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Ahhhh April 17th. That swell was huge, one of the most perfect days I can remember in recent times.

13. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I dont know where most of you are surfing at but I have had rideable waves almost once or twice a week so far this summer. I'm either loggin, riding a fish or even body surfing there are rideable waves out there you just gotta search

14. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    yep, been very log-able this summer. not a horrible summer by any means. just wishin' for some bigger stuff is all. head-high or so would be awesome...

15. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    i hear the Atlantic ocean wave makers union local 22 is on strike?

16. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    nah, chris christie found out that they were considered "public employees" & had a union, so he villified them & decided they were too lazy & incompetant to keep their jobs.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  17. A.E.Z. (Surf & Sponge)

A.E.Z. (Surf & Sponge) Active Member

Jul 28, 2011
    i think the swell this summer has been way better than last summer! And I agree, it seems like every year on august 12 we get some nice waves! Last summer we had that low pressure system which brought in sets that were like 6+ foot! later next week the waves are supposed to start rolling in! school starts in like three weeks for me! so PRAY FOR SURF!

18. bushwood

bushwood Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    WEll McLovin then its defintitly going to be firing because i leave for Washington state the 13th, so if both of us are headed out of town then the waves will be here in two weeks guranteed I stated this before whenver i have to leave for work during hurricane season we always have tropical swell while Im gone, always

19. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    matt/42,you have all of our sand.up here for miles the lumps come in and dump on the beach.over 8 feet deep even at dead low.the entire island.plus more swell to the south this past month and a half.dead low looks like dead high everywhere around here

20. somuchsurf

somuchsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    I heard the atlantic wavemaker has been taken offline due to lack of funding, until the budget mess has been cleaned up by the monkeys in congress.