Who follows the ASP tour?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by bushwood, Feb 15, 2011.

1. bushwood

bushwood Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    How many of you guys follow the ASP tour? Really follow it, like try to watch the webcast, have the ASP to go app to watch live heats, or highlight videos find out who won heats, etc.
    The webcast have gotten really good and since most places seem to be about 10 to 12 hours off east coast time its usually on in the evenings. Just wondering how many of you have started watching the webcast. I have always follwed it, like read about it next day on Surfline or whatever but since the webcast have gotten so good and the app makes it easy to watch the event I have really started digging it.

2. ECSURFR

ECSURFR Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2007
    i cant find the ASP app for droid...

3. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  4. mongoloid

mongoloid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    'Feb 26 - Mar 9 Gold Coast, Qld, Australia, Quiksilver Pro $425,000

'Apr 19 - 30 Bells Beach, Victoria, Australia, Quiksilver Pro $425,000

'May 11 - 22 'Rio de Janeiro, Brazil' ' Billabong Rio Pro' $500,000

'Jul 14 - 24 'Jeffreys Bay South Africa' 'Billabong Pro' $425,000

'Aug 20 - 31 'Teahupoo Tahiti 'Billabong Pro Teahupoo' $425,000

'Sep 3 - 12 'Long Island New York 'Quiksilver Pro NewYork' $1,000,000

'Sep 18 - 24 'Trestles California 'Hurley Pro' $425,000

'Oct 4 - 13 'South West Coast France' 'Quiksilver Pro France' $425,000

'Oct 15 - 24 'Peniche Portugal' 'Rip Curl Pro' $425,000

'Nov 1 - 11 'Somewhere 'Rip Curl Search' $425,000

'Dec 8 - 20 Banzai Pipeline, Oahu, Hawaii' 'Billabong Pipe Masters' $425,000

5. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I dont follow it really. I just wait to see the results and highlights. Replays on fuel. I find it hard to keep up and follow the online stuff. I follow the local scene more. Its more fun. Just NSSA mens and stuff. its more fun to watch live or paddle out next to the heats and get a real good perspective. I do drive up to lowers and stuff when the QS and CT comes around... It will be cool for everyone back home when it goes to NY. Its worth the drive to go watch heats and surf around the area with the big dogs.

But I dont watch anything online really. I download shi* and burn it to DVDs and watch it on my TV.

6. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Just got into it in the past year or too, now I'm actually really into it. The webcasts are great now. I was actually exciting watching live on the last pipeline 6 star, and that was wqs. I am planning on watching the Gold Coast and seeing how the rookies and slater do especially.

7. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    The webcast are getting very good! nothing beats bringing your laptop to the bar for a few beers and watching events live. In the fall one of the local watering holes ran it through their televisions - more places need to do that!

8. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    I follow it. Watch the webcasts when I can. Sometimes it can be kind of boring, but other times it's pretty sweet. I'm definitely glad I've caught some of the heats live vs. online highlights. There have been some pretty exciting/dramatic moments that you don't really get with just watching the highlights.

9. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    well, I wish I was more into it. Maybe I will try a little harder going forward. I am a fantasy sports nerd on the side. Football, Basketball, baseball, golf. All of it. I hear fantasy ASP surfing is fun. It forces you to be all over the events. Watching who advances and shuffling guys around. Makes you check every event roster to make sure your guys are competing. It makes you research past events and who surfs well at what spots etc....

So, maybe we should put together a few ASP fantasy surf leagues on this site. It is sh** to pass the time when you arent surfing.

10. bushwood

Jun 4, 2010
    Thats awesome!

Glad to see so many are into. Yeah the webcast are great. The ASP to go App is for the itouch or iphone. Now withteh tour doing top 32 its real good no more heats with (no disrespect guys are sick but in the realm of title contender/event winner type) with Luke Donald vs Dane Gudaskas or whatever.

Its epic having Occy and Rob machado calling the heats for bilabong events, Pottz doing quiksilvers etc... then having instant replay of guys waves.

I wont rember to do anthing in the stickys (just always forget but will post when i know somethings going down)

Let me start with
    ASP Prime event- burleigh head australia, webcast wil not be as good cause its a ASP prime contest, more of a local contest but there are big hitters in it.
    Taj Burrow defeending champ of contest and guys like Parko, new to tour this year Josh Kerr, Julian WIlson, and bunch of others, i cant rember everyone but like 12 of the top 32 will be in attendance.

Sunny Garcia vs Parko is one of the first heats i heard

Could be starting this afternoon being that its like 5 am on Weds in Australia right now
    heres the link
    http://www.surfingqueensland.com/news.php

11. bushwood

Jun 4, 2010
    totally agree

The highlights show surfers waves then what they scored on each...
    it doesnt show that surfer A had Surfer B comboed with like 10 minutes to go then Surfer B gets a bomb set wave scores an 8 then only needs like a 6 to beat Surfer A but surfer A is sitting in the lineup with priority so Surfer B has to take second choice waves, but finds a gem down the beach hits a huge air reverse then finds a litttle cover on the inside followed by a little fronstide air as the horn blows scores a 7.3 and beats the Surfer A. They dont show that.

And withteh commetators being pros for whatever company sponsors the event they get all stoked like we do seeing that stuff, the commetators are the guys surfing in the heats friends they know them so they have personal emaotions involved in most the heats its cool.

Watching Slater in a contest you see why he is the greatest. The guy seems to will himself a set wave to beat someone sometimes. I saw Owen Wright score an 8 to have him covered with 3 minutes left and Slater gets the only empty barrel of the heat gets spat out and did a patented Slater tail whiff hack then linked up a little floater on the insde for a 9.3 to win it. That kind of stuff is awesome. You can see what surfers once down cant come back, but the chapions are never out of it until the end.

12. bushwood

Jun 4, 2010
    i havent heard if slater is surfing this year?

Is KS10 surfing this year? I havent heard one way or the other if he is doing the tour. Maybe some select events but...

I am looking forward to seeing Dane, Jordy Owen, Josh Kerr, Julian Wilson, Jadson, etc all doing battle.
    I always love seeing the east coast guys doing well.

13. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    It can be boring if the surf sucks and its a non-elimination heat

However, i try to watch all the web-casts, although sometimes its just not possible when they are on at 4am and i have to be up at 7...

surfline could definitely do a better job with the highlights...

14. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    i just started watching this past season during the chopes contest and ive been hooked ever since. its cool to see those guys rip live and just watch the heats go down. when i get home from work and am just chilling on the couch id much rather watch live surfing than anything on tv.

thanks for the link on the aussie contest this week, heres a direct link to the contest site: http://www.aspaustralasia.com/live/2010/Breaka/live.php

15. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I dont watch all the webcasts like I use to . I work til 8:30 at night and by the time I do the commute down south its over and I just try to read the highlight or catch some higlight webcasts online before I head to work .
    I kinda really dont care who is the "champ" or who lost the title. On any given day anyone can be the Champ I think .

16. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Wow! Guess I'm the only one that doesn't care about the ASP... not knocking it ...just world champ/best in the world tag doesn't really appeal to me. Example: Fanning 2 time(?) world champ. Awesome surfer (yes)...best in the world (not for my money). I vote best small wave surfer...Gorkin (bold but I said it). 6-9ft J.O.B. (bold one again). over 9ft don't care about.

17. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    one of the things i've really enjoyed in the last 2 years or so is the change in judging criteria, you can tell the guys really have to put everything on the line in every turn to get their points.

It used to look like they were holding back just enough to make sure they wouldn't fall, now it seems pretty common to see a guy fall on a big turn or something... just because they are really trying to push it

18. bushwood

Jun 4, 2010
    I just put together my fantasy surfer .com lineup for the Quik Pro in Australia. I think we will be getting guys together on the site here to forma small league.

By the way guys keep an eye on Jack Freestone kid rips.....

19. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Let us know how to sign up. I registered through fantasysurfer.com last night, but I never got the confirmation email. If you got all the way through the registration, let us know how to get the invite. Thanks.

20. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Okay. Nevermind. I found it. Yahoo put the email in my spam box. I just activated... I will post another thread for invites. Peace-