who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Glassy long period swell yesterday and again this morning. Florence has been inland for days, so its not coming from her....mystery why the buoy has been reading 3' @ 13 seconds, but the long lines this morning were real.

9-18-2018c.jpg 9-18-2018h.jpg

2. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    First "post-Flo" sesh/s this morning and noontime. Waist high, a bit disorganized with a northward drift. Lots of paddling to stay on station. Water olive green, but it was nice to take advantage of its 80 degree temp.

MrBigglesworth and Notaseal like this.

3. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Was able to get out for about an hour tonight, mostly in the dark. It was fun, but the water was a bit nasty due to all the rain. Water is still fairly warm.

ChavezyChavez and DosXX like this.
  4. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    We were seeing a lot of E and SE fetch coming off the tail of Flo until yesterday. Unfortunately onshore conditions didn’t play well here. Looks like you guys got some good remenants with good conditions. I imagine that fetch continued to push swell your way through today.

5. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    ...probably some smallish longer period mixing in too. There were multiple lows way out this past week.

6. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    had knee to thi leftovers by the pier this morning. only caught a couple but they were fun 30-40 yarders, one left one right. the others weren't so memorable, the knee hi ones. gonna be a while till the next sumtin comes along, good enough to get in the water n late to work

Notaseal and MrBigglesworth like this.
  7. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Thanks Mitch! Those pics are exactly what I got to ride all day Sunday, with occasional sets almost HH - brought me back! Yeeeeeewwwww!!!!
    Looks like we got a beaut on Friday with chest/head and clean again... man I love Indian summer! Water is still mid 70’s too so it’s comfy and trunkin.

Notaseal likes this.
  8. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Flo came over to my island yesterday. The wind switched to straight off shore after dinner. The family was all doing their own thing after so I went down with the log. Found glassy sets in the chest high range breaking on a bar with no one on it. Real easy flowing session that was perfect to wash off the work day. As the storm moved off a rainbow came out. Plenty of whale and dolphin around and at the end the sun dipped below the cloud cover. Lately I've been opting to skip dawn paddleouts in favor for the dusk session. My mind and body are much more limber then.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 11:30 AM
  9. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Been crazy busy this week so i passed on yesterday. Got CR on Monday so trying to make sure my leg is pain free. But dude! I don't know if it was the same one but i saw a crazy rainbow yesterday also at the same time! Good stuff.

Hope all is well man! Thought i saw you a few times this summer but i was mistaken every time. It's been awhile. Hopefully i see you out there soon!

Notaseal and MrBigglesworth like this.
  10. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You could take me on the honeymoon for a surf buddy. I'm sure that won't be too weird.

Surf looks good on Thursday. Forget the leg and surf around the rockpile. I'll keep an eye out.

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Waist high junk on the incoming... wind was wrong, but it was still doable. Had fun on the log.

12. heaps of Meh

heaps of Meh Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    ocnj was thi hi and weak, but clean
    ran the beach at dawn, built up a sweat and then took handplane and fins in for 30 minutes to get some tubes. good times. classic little beachbreak tubes, just like how I 'membah

blissfull

DosXX and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  13. SpikeLee33

SpikeLee33 Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Some decent waves today at Nantasket. Bumpy but solid waist to chest, consistent, and warm water.

DosXX and MrBigglesworth like this.
  14. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    super fun friday afternoon....clean, waist to chest high...warm and sunny out. Long sesh. shots from around 5 don't do justice to how freaking rippable it was. 3-4 good turns on some waves. 9-21-2018a.jpg 9-21-2018b.jpg

15. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Yeah, Nantasket was good times from 4 until dark but also funny in that the waves looked big from shore when I got there but were actually kind of soft when you got out. Took me a while to figure out not to paddle for stuff that just wasn't breaking.

Wicked drift today. Still bath water warm, too bad about dark at 7pm now.

SpikeLee33, DosXX and MrBigglesworth like this.
  16. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Super consistent, but did you notice that even those big sets coming in were sucker sets unless you were super deep/late? I lost count of how many genuinely solid looking waves I paddled for and got skunked on... always just a little too slow or too early. Getting caught right on the lip was the norm. Felt like paddling in molasses. Once I got the timing right it was good but by then I was half paddled out. There were a few dudes out there shredding some long rides and a few huge sets that came through - and man was that water awesome!

SpikeLee33, Notaseal and DosXX like this.
  17. Notaseal

Notaseal Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Rainbros

18. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Experienced somewhat the same thing here late AM to noon yesterday, but sets mostly waist high...every now and then a little bigger. Heading out for a mid-AM sesh today. After that, the honey-do list...

SpikeLee33 and MrBigglesworth like this.