Who works in sales?

Discussion in 'Non Surf Related' started by salzsurf, Sep 29, 2014.

1. salzsurf

salzsurf Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I'm considering a career transition to Sales from IT. Any swellers work in the industry and have recommendations on companies to check out that are good to work for? I feel like it's really hard to tell from job postings if a sales position is actually a good job or just a scam.

Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to share with the whole group

2. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Sales to IT? That's crazy I'd stay in the IT field!

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    +1 on this.

4. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Sales is generally high stress and pressure, but there is good money in it. I have almost went that direction a couple times. I just didn't want to get back into the traveling thing. The area you want to be in is medical equipment or industrial equipment sales. Big commission when you are selling devices that cost $100k or more.

5. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    It's a tough racket. Only way I would recommend getting into that, is with a company that already has tons of business coming in. So, you are taking inbound inquiries and selling contracts etc. If you have to build your own clientele and all that, stay away. If you get in with a company that already has great sales, you should be okay. Because you never know, you could be the guy that answers the phone and there is a half a million dollars on the other end.

But yeah dude, stay in IT. It's boring, but it's a solid field at least for the next decade or so. Only thing I hate about IT (Comp Sci BA) is that things change so quickly. You have to re-invent yourself every other year, or you will become obsolete.

6. salzsurf

Feb 11, 2011
    I'm more of a middle-man in IT. I'm not the one coding. It's a job that takes minimal brain activity and something I want to run away from...fast.

I kind of enjoy stress/pressure so sales might be good for me.

7. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Well, here is a thought. Move to southern califorina and get a rep/sales position in the surf/skate industry. Won't work anywhere else in the world. And aside from doing that, all surf industry jobs suck.... But I know plenty of guys that fell into those jobs. They just spend their days driving up and down the coast of SoCal, selling products to shops that must have it anyway. You goof off, talk surfing all the time. Spend the off hours drinking at bars and giving people free sunglasses and sh** and getting them stoked. Cake job. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

You basically walk into a shop that you know carries ripcurl products and you sell them ripcurl products. Doesn't get much easier than that.

What I am trying to say, is sell something you like. Otherwise, it's going to be hard to get motivated. And don't sell sh** that people don't want and need.

And if you don't mind me asking, what kind of "middle man" work are you doing exactly? Are you actually doing any IT work, or do you just happen to be performing general administrative tasks for an IT company?

8. salzsurf

Feb 11, 2011
    I do the same thing as you, I believe.

Business wants software
    You make it so the developers understand what the business wants
    Developers build it

9. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Yes, similar. Completely different field. I don't work with IT companies, but I sure do get involved in some pretty crazy contracts lately. Like I said, sometimes that phone rings and you get blown away by who is on the other end.

10. 3rdperson

3rdperson Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2014
    "sales" is so effing broad bro. I have been in commission sales since I was 18(17yrs). If I haven't "done it all", I've come pretty close. There are outstanding opportunities out there if you do some research. If you want to make real money though(100+), you will have to work to get good at your craft. Your not just going to walk into a sales position and make money unless you are gifted, which some people are, but very, very, few. The better you get the more you make. Sales is funny though, it's either the easiest job in the world, or the hardest. I've seen people I thought would never make it...become real bad-asses...then people I thought would kill it... just fall flat.

Start with your IT background. There are tons of SaaS companies that need sales people.. you can make a killing, but again... you need to get good at it and you'll most likely be broke until you do.

11. BigMoneyT

BigMoneyT Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    I work in sales selling stocks, bonds, equityies, mutual funds, etc heres what you have to know.
    First off never let the fish off the hook. they are the bait and you can real them in . remember they are stupid and useless most of the time.
    second, never make a final offer. repeat it once and be done with it.
    third, make sure on user review sites you pad your info with planted reveiws. this works best in my market.
    also, fight for your lead. just like in surfing fight for your spot. and i mean fist fights if it comes to it. theres nothing wrong with being a bully if you are strong enough.
    lastly, always put it in writing. and thank them for their business.

12. 3rdperson

Mar 14, 2014
    ^^ then there's always this...haha

13. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Yo BigMoneyT Zach called you out for a bench off last week. Where you at?

14. AndrewIfallalot

AndrewIfallalot Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    And exactly, do you want to be a criminal, or do you want to help people?

15. jbavguy

jbavguy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013

Solid advice. Leverage your IT background. More importantly you need inside contacts and a strong social network of professionals in the fields that you target market and your product industries. Otherwise you'll be spinnin wheels and broke. Overall though sales can suck if you cant bite your tounge and/or eat sh!t to make the sale... I cant do what the sales guys at my company do....

16. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    posted it before, but this guy seems to know what he is talking about
    [video=youtube;8kZg_ALxEz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZg_ALxEz0[/video]

17. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Practice lying...A LOT. Or maybe, you are a "gifted" liar. Then, you will be a natural. The career of sales, inherently, involves sophisticated ways to coerce someone into buying something they usually don't absolutely need. Be prepared to sell a little bit of your soul, get way out of your comfort zone, and make "friends' with people you don't really like at all. Enjoy!

18. 3rdperson

Mar 14, 2014
    a classic....coffee is for closers!

19. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Oh, and rejection...Be prepared for lots of rejection. It's all a numbers game. For every 10 people you pitch something to, one will bite. That's probably good odds in sales. But, 9 out of 10 will tell you to F off. Don't let a little rejection get in your way between a 3 series BMW and 5 series. Think sociopath. You think Ted Bundy was able to lure 10 out of 10 girls into his car? I think not!

20. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Such a sic post. Please see my post just like this (minus the Bundy ref) in the Missed Connections tread yesterday. Take nothing personally. Rejection insensitivity is the key to success.