will there be a thanksgiving swell this year?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by cepriano, Nov 14, 2017.

1. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    thoughts?

we've had an epic/good swell thanksgiving week for the past 7 years if my memory serves me right.

will we have one this year?seems like we were off to a great start this year with swell but it kind of died down for the past 2 weeks or so.sometimes u get an epic flurry of swell and the rest of the year is a lake

2. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    I have to head back to southern md every year for t-giving so i’m gonna be self absorbed and say that I hope there is no swell so that I don’t have to watch in misery. I hate missing good swells... Gotta start hosting at my crib.

3. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    To answer your question, YES!

But only in Belmar...

4. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Cap I agree, the past weeks have been ng... and the forecast looks ng... straight on east swell this week...ng

5. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Does a bear **** in the woods - hell yea there will be swell

[video=youtube;eVQMBirrJ08]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQMBirrJ08[/video]

6. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    My memory not as good as yours; 2 years ago it was nearly 70 degrees and waist high here and lineup was so crowded but it won't be that warm next week ....................

7. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    2 years ago Thanksgiving itself was not goode. 70+ degree weather, and I had a great walk on the beach with my wife and dog, but the waves were maybe knee high and I think only one or two people out, paddling around in flat water like kooks when I checked a normally very crowded spot in late morning. Maybe the swell started to fill in later that afternoon but I don't think so? I wasn't hosting and the meal I attended was well after dark, so I'm assuming if I didn't surf there weren't waves.

But... the following day was sick, shoulder to head high and clean all day and I surfed for 5-6 hours. And Saturday morning was big and clean as well. I pretty much count that as a Thanksgiving swell, but technically speaking, Thanksgiving itself was flat.

I can't remember last Thanksgiving. I'm pretty sure I did not surf and I have no idea why. Or else I dawn patrolled and just don't remember it.

Before two years ago I was living in Colorado for several years, and other places visiting relatives for several years before that. But I do remember going back to like high school the ocean had an uncanny habit of always producing fun waves on Thanksgiving. And Christmas, as I recall.

This year I'll be in San Diego for Thanksgiving. Unless it's dead flat, which seems unlikely, I'll paddle out somewhere. It'll probably be knee to thigh high and sloppy though, the forecast is not giving me much to look forward to yet for next week. But I'll be on vacation and have nothing to do but surf and drink beer and eat fish tacos (not doing a traditional thanksgiving this year, which I am totally okay with... while I love the concept of a holiday centered around gorging myself with food, I've come to the conclusion that the typical Thanksgiving spread pretty much sucks, turkey is one of the worst commonly-eaten meats, and typically only the appetizers hold my interest), so even mediocre waves will meet my needs nicely.

ON THE OTHER HAND, the east coast will undoubtedly have another great day to continue the fall of nonstop great days. At least that's my assumption, since I won't be there. Overhead glassy barrels peeling smoothly for 200 yards, you can take that **** to the bank.

8. NJsurfer30

Dec 28, 2016
    Re-read the OP and I agree that the past two weeks have sucked here, but I'm not panicking yet. ****, it was just over two weeks ago we had one of the best days I've ever seen here. And as recently as the start of last week I was surfing fun, clean, hollow waist to chest high waves. Mid August through end of October was pretty much nonstop sickness, would describe that as slightly more than a great start or an epic flurry of swell. Agree that if we get into December without another good day I'll be getting rather concerned. But I think things will be okay. That said, last week's swell was a massive disappointment... totally closed out and never cleaned up on Thursday and blown flat by Friday morning. And T-Th this week were looking promising a few days ago but we are 0 for 1 on that so far and today and tomorrow don't look great either. So it goes. This past February, which should be one of the best months of the year, didn't have a single big clean day and yet 2017 as a whole is one of the best years I've ever seen for Jersey, and I don't think that opinion will change unless it's absolutely, dead flat for everyone of the next 45 days.

9. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Fingers crossed!

10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I usually host Thanksgiving at my house, so even if there's waves, I probably won't surf.

I shoot pheasants in the morning, stand in the kitchen all day, and sit on the couch all night!

11. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Its a week out so....

models showing a low slipping by on Wednesday producing a south fetch for the mid atlantic/SE New England, then offshores by late Wednesday into Thanksgiving...then big pressure and zonal offshore flow flatness for Friday - Sunday.

[​IMG]

12. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    also usually marks the first swell in full rubber but fingers crossed

13. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    When you say, "full rubber", are you including gloves and hoodie? If you are just referring to just a full suite, dudes have been in full rubber round here for like a month!

14. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

At least here for a full month...4/3 mm, boots, gloves and hoodie.
    Or suffer from anal clamping.....

15. NJsurfer30

Dec 28, 2016
    Boots went on for the first time last Thursday for me, with an old leaky 3/2 and no hood or gloves. But it was a short session, and I was pretty damn cold by the end of it. If the suite wasn't a piece of **** I'd have been fine though. Just snuck out for a quick lunch session in 4/3, boots, hood, but no gloves. Hands a little chilly for a couple minutes but then comfortable. I try to put off full coverage as long as I can...

16. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    no just a good 3/2 maybe a hood on cold air days but i havent worn gloves or boots yet and I was in the water last week for a few hours. Just saw temps are below 60 now so probably need boots and gloves now

17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I've been in boots for a little over a week. The session before that... my pinky toe went white and numb.

Probably do the squid lid and gloves next sesh.

18. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    We've been wearing full 5/4 gear here for over a month, but I haven't broke out the gloves yet.

My very first surfing Thanksgiving (Turkey Day 1978) is one of my top 3 best surfing memories. DP sesh at Blacks started out as fun 3'-4' playful surf, which graduated to classic 4'-6' spitting A-frames and culminated with the longest (to this day) tube ride of my life. Just totally ****ing vintage.

Because of that day, I treat Turkey Day surfing as a religious rite. Unfortunately, never had another day like it, although we had a very good 2XOH day here locally 3 years ago. Got some grainy pix of that day around here somewhere.

19. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I usually wear my 4/3 til the end of December,along with 6m gloves and 7m booties.i have a detachable hood,it really all depends how the weather is,sometimes u don't need the hood.once January hits I'm in the 6/5/4 lookin like the Michelin man lol.technology is good,like I hate cold water,even cold rain,but I'm perfectly fine in the ocean with the right gear on.the trick is be warm before u even step on the beach

and what I originally stated was the "week of" thanksgiving,not necessarily turkey day but the week before and after is usually really good here in nj.usually wednesday

20. Paulie's lawyer

Paulie's lawyer Active Member

Nov 3, 2017
    You can get - anything you want - at Alice's Restaurant...

exceptin Alice...

That is one thing that will happen FOR SURE this Thanksgiving.

Hopefully some surf as well.