Winter Wetsuits

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by nj1993, Sep 27, 2010.

1. nj1993

nj1993 Active Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Hey guy's i've been surfing the past 4 summers and i'm finally ready to surf the brutal NJ winter. What type of suit/gloves/boots etc do I need to withstand the freezing temps and any other advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    dude, just use the search function. there are about 40 threads on this subject.

3. Crestline3

Crestline3 Member

Sep 26, 2010
    I wear an Oneill heat 5:3 with hood attached. 7 mill round toe boots and 5 mil lobster claw gloves and it keeps me pretty warm.

4. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    hyperflex 5/4/3 flow is a great suit priced well and is super warm . I have stayed out 4 hours in it without a chill. Get some 7 mil boots and 5 mil mits like also suggested and you be fin the whole winter. But 3/2 season is coming up so you wont need the winter rubber til mid nov

5. mOtion732

Sep 18, 2008
    OR you can just scroll through a fwe pages of the forum and find at least 5-10 threads on this exact same topic

6. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    he wants to surf this winter who has that kinda time;)

7. mOtion732

Sep 18, 2008
    i dono but i just got a 5'8 lost rocket and i'm ****in psycheddddddddd

8. surfsup1007

surfsup1007 New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Nice suit! It's exactly the one I wear :)

9. Crestline3

Crestline3 Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Yeah I love this suit for the winter. Got it rather cheap, end of season deal for $180 when at the time it was runnin about 300 full price. Keeps me pretty toasty:)

10. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    5/4 hooded Excel Drylock with 5 mil booties and 3 mil Drylock finger gloves. Almost overheated in 38 degree water.

11. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    whatever you get, make sure the suit has an ATTACHED hood (hood zip/snap on) and has a chest zip.

12. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    yeah this is the combo ive been using the last couple winters except i have the 5 mil Xcel drylock gloves. I was also comfy last winter when the water dipped into the upper 30s. My only gripe is the drylock gloves only lasted one winter.

13. NJSwell

NJSwell Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I have also been questioning this as I've been surfing for a couple of years now and It's time to step it up. I have gotten great responses that I've looked into from this community, but I really don't understand how you can surf in 30-40 degree water in the mid-atlantic lol. Maybe it just sounds bad but it really isn't? haa

14. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    it's really not that bad with the right equipment.

15. NJSwell

NJSwell Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Ive been told that a 3/2 or a 4/3 is good for fall and spring time? While moving up to a 5/4/3 during the winter?

But I will I also need gloves/boots/hood for fall and spring?

16. mOtion732

Sep 18, 2008
    the worst are winter DPs. even when it's firing, it's 20 degrees and you're in your warm bed at 6:30am. getting up is not always easy. definitely not the same as in the summer when you throw on boardshorts and get out of bed to 70 deg water.

with that being said, once you get in, it's always worth it

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  17. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    i agree. it's the getting in and the getting out - mostly the getting out - that can be brutal. gets me thinking i might just drive home in my wetsuit this winter. i remember a thread about post-session warming techniques from last winter and did a quick search but couldn't find it. not to hijack this thread (it is related) but does anyone have any experience with waterproof car seat covers? i found a bunch online but wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

18. mOtion732

Sep 18, 2008
    i always get dressed at home when i know it's good. if it's an iffy thing with wind, or if it's sunny, i'll change in the car. almost always change when i get home too, unless again, it's a nice sunny day.

as far as the car goes, i always put towel on seat. doesn't work the best, but it does the job. i hear if you have leather seats you're fine nto doing anything

19. djones

djones Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I put my suit on at home and don't take it off untill I'm standing in a hot shower.

getting out of the water and your wetsuit is definitely the worst part about surfing cold days.

But the best part, the firing, empty barrels, make it so much worth the shivers

20. richp12

richp12 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009

rockets are super dope just be very gentle