Worst line-up?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Average Joe, Dec 19, 2016.

1. soulrider

soulrider Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I agree %100 with Juno pier or Jupiter inlet... I've surfed every state except Georgia on the east coast and have surfed a lot of the breaks on a regular basis... sometimes lake worth pier gets really rough and ocean city nj in late summer gets bad. I surfed the squan inlet Sunday and sure it was packed but just talk to people, call people into waves, paddle hard, and make your drops you'll get waves... really half of it is just surfing well and waiting your turn. The worst I've ever dealt with localism and packed breaks has been in Florida or Santa Cruz... both are bad... like board to face knife to tires bad...

2. B2Bomber

B2Bomber Active Member

Mar 26, 2014

3. The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123

The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2013
    I concur....Cape May[be] Labor Day Wknd was brutal. Worst melting pot of surfing I have experienced thus millenium.

4. rhode island sale

rhode island sale Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Isn't it amazing how bad crowds have gotten in recent years? I mean, only 8 years ago in late December there would be basically no one out. It would only be the hardcore. Now it's people who can barely stand on a board and are just learning. That wasn't the only spot packed. I was looking at the cams on surfline. Belmar was mobbed. It was bizarre. It looked like a summer morning :confused:

As Barry said, "Thanks marketing". That's obviously driving these crowds. What year does surfing hit the Olympics? I'm trying to figure out when to move to nova scotia.

5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Worst experience in my life was San Sebastian, Spain. Worse than the Cove on an over-hyped TS swell in August. This is what it was like every wave...

a-group-of-surfers-perform-at-la-zurriola-beach-in-san-sebastian-northern-fn3mwa.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  6. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Surfers have been lamenting about this forever, it began the day after surfing was invented. Avoid the weekends, and open up your surf spot repertoire and you'll find all the solitude you want. What you need is better sand reconne.

7. rhode island sale

Nov 8, 2014
    You're right that they've been complaining forever. They were spoiled rotten back in the day and still would *****. Only a few people showed up at their select spot and they'd ***** and whine and then practice localism and lineup enforcement, both of which failed miserably. And I'm actually glad they failed since I despise that aggro b.s. You'll never stop the masses once marketing decided to make surfing cool. Hell, I'm staring at a ad right now for a chevy truck with surfboards on it as I type!

I'm not going to avoid the weekends on the ec. This isn't cali where there's waist to chest high waves 7 days a week. It's flat most of the time, so I go when there's waves. The high quality wave spots are finite and a limited commodity. As more and more people decide to become surfers, the availability of uncrowded spots decreases.

My sand recon skills are of the utmost excellence. I assure you that.

8. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Nah, thank every surfer who puffs their chest out and talks about how real surfers surf year round (which is true). We got dudes trying to help guys like Frosty get a wetsuite and get in the water when he isn't comfortable being in the water. He likes it nice and warm out, for his soft sensitive skin. There's lots of these types. If the hardcore surfers keep shaming the Summer Pro's and Kooks into stepping it up and surfing year round, then we have nobody to blame but urslef. So, if you all want empty lineups in the Winter, stop talking about how good it is!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  9. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Stop Summer Shaming Surfers!!! And Urslef... Damn you... I thought you were dead! You are to blame...

10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Urslef must die!

11. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    did you grow two testicles overnight dsup? i'll do pretty much what I want to do when I want to do it, and if tackling the same 2 ft waves here in CHuck in 40 degree air and 55 water temp isn't my idea of fun well I wont do it..everyone gets their rocks off in different ways and still being a semi free world they should be free to choose that which makes them the happiest cuz lifes way to short

12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    LOL Don't get me wrong Frost, I want you to stay a Summer Pro, i'm not trying to suggest you should surf in the Winter. Quite the opposite bud. Re-read my comment, it might make sense the 2nd time around. My point is, I like Summer Pros, actually I love em! They keep the water clutter free when the waves are actually good! So keep doing you Frost, I got nothing but love for you Hulkamaniac!

13. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Every 'surfing beach' in Ocean City NJ every weekend from when College lets out (May) until Halloween or so. I avoid those places on weekends like the plague. Even now it's redonkulus. I checked a couple jetties this morning. It's like 1, maybe 2 feet and breaking 10 feet from the sand. 10 guys out. College must be on break. Headed to my 'little spot' now.

14. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    The popularity of winter surfing has exploded in just the past 2-3 years alone. I think mostly due to much warmer and more comfortable suits. There were 35 people out at one spot in Monmouth County on Sunday, and yes many of them could barely surf. I expect this on a hot summer day, but winter? Absurd.

15. rhode island sale

Nov 8, 2014
    I always hear that warmer suits is the reason. Have suits suddenly become MUCH warmer in the past 2-3 years? Suits can't explain this type of rise. I mean honestly, suits aren't THAT much warmer than a decade ago. Mostly a difference in stretch. Would this alone really account for someone not winter surfing? Probably not. 30 years ago sure wetsuits were bad, but the past 10-15 years, 6mm is still 6mm.

Marketing(pro surfing, ads on tv, surf camps) has driven people to the beach in the summer to learn to surf. This has led to huge rises in the crowds in summer. At this point they meet their surf instructor that immediately tells them how all the "real surfers" surf in winter. Well basic psychology tells you that person is going to not want to be a poser, but a hardcore surfer.

Now if you go back before the internet, you actually had to go to the beach to check waves. No cams and Swellinfo didn't even come to existence until around 2006. So add in the internet and all the shameless spot naming, then all this marketing and you've got this clusterpuck perfect storm we have right now that's only going to get worse. It's going to get worse once surfing enters Olympics. Parents will start signing their kids up for surfing at higher rate. Oh yeah and the wave pools, 90 bucks for an hour of subpar waves. Sounds great. That's the future. Think of it like having the wasach range in your backyard to ski bottomless powder and then having to go to wachusett to ski fake ice blown out of a gun and pay 70 bucks for a ticket to wait in line for an hour to go up the hill.

16. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I'm getting a jet boart that's it, I'm done with all the crowds, they will now feel the wrath!

17. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Actually I surfed amidst 8 SUPers, and only missed out on two waves this morning due to a couple of them being in better position and getting in earlier. That stuff happens anywhere there are good waves, unless you are alone. I avoided the crowd at the Pier, and scored some good surf at a once long ago semi-secret spot, now overrun by SUPers. (sounds like a poor trade off, but where I went was more consistent, bigger, and most of the SUPers cant surf). My point is: When there is a will there is a way.

18. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    oh **** yall boys bringing back urslef? damn its time for 2017 to be done right. # carolina cutback,# viva la south# bbq chcken# eat my cutback spraye, # rofl#lmao# gtfo

19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Don't forget to put razor blade spinners on the rails like Massala did in the chariot races in the movie Ben-hur!!