would you ever give this a try ?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by surfin, Jan 30, 2015.

1. surfin

surfin Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Kitesurfing ?
    Im wondering how many of you guys would try this . I have been in the water since i can remember , Growing up in California , then moving to Dirty jerz in 96 . Then i think 2002 i was handed a slingshot fuel . At that moment the stoke grew even more for the oceans bounty . Those days when the winds are honking onshore for 2 days and your frothing at the mouth to surf , you grab your kite and surfboard and go out for a long downwinder . Until your legs give out . I would say on an average 2 hour downwinder you can catch 30 or more waves without having to duck dive or paddle out . And let me tell you . You can take the tops off waves when kite surfing ,knock down kids standing on the waters edge by doing a toe side to heel side tack and throw a big bucket off water at them . Always with permission from the parents , those kids never even know it coming , SPLASH!! BAM!! , You can catch up to sections that are normally to fast to catch just surfing .
    But just like surfing it takes time , funds, learning etiquettes , Self rescues ,it has its limitations but its well worth the reward . Yes its expensive , i know , i was just seeing what holds most you guys back from at least trying it for a bit . 73_cover_600_px.jpg I apologize i know its a surfing forum. but as kiter I'm a surfer at heart .So SI is more then just a surfing forecasts but also a kite surfing forecast .The forum always interesting , plus i like the comics and picture too. And this ad with a brunette doing sitting squats And she supposed to be 54 .

2. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Have a bunch of kiter friends who have tried to convince me to try it. I just know I would get into trouble with those strings. No way I'm gonna try it.

3. El Stupido

El Stupido Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Looks fun when I see people doing it. I would defo consider it, however from what I have seen you need to drop some fairly serious coin to get up and running. I'm sure its worth it. What, in your estimation, is a decent set up going to cost?

4. rxsurf90

rxsurf90 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    It looks like a blast but I always see people spending forever trying to blow up that damn kite. It's too much maintenance for me personally. Eventually I wouldn't have the patience to blow it up OR I wouldn't take care of it properly by not storing it correctly or something.

5. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Too much gear. Too much prep. After seeing a guy tangled up in the shrouds and dragged across the rocks at Surfer's Point in Ventura, I lost interest. They really fly though. Amazing to watch.

6. surfin

surfin Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    I would say you could get a kite that is 1 to 2 years old , thats bran new . A harness and a twin tip under a grand . Twin tip will be the first board you have to learn on .And recommend a lesson for fast learning curve . As for durability ,I have kites that have held up for many years , still have some of them . the kites can take a good beating , and still hold up . Time rigging , 1o minutes when you get it down . Specially in the winter . As for caring for your kite , just don't hit anything hard with it . I dragged my kite across beaches . over islands , Many of my lessons have slammed the kite down in the water , tangle the lines , but they will untangle its part of learning . And after a good session i just let the kite dry if it got wet , then put it in the bag , thats it . Never washed it . Salt water and fresh water mixed if not dried all the way will mold . Simple no fresh water . Its simpler then most think it is . If you guys get a chance get it a full on try . You will be hooked . plus theres cool names like Donkey Di@# , ohh Shi# handle , and chicken loop .

7. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I used to be into windsurfing in the 80s. Had my own rig that I bought while stationed in Pensacola.
    It got really popular through the 90s. Rare to see it now though. Kite surfing seemed to have replaced it in popularity. I'd be willing to give windsurfing a go again.

8. rxsurf90

rxsurf90 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ouch.

9. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    nah.
    maybe if i hadn't seen the "kite surfing mistakes" video.
    looks fun.

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Two thoughts emerge:
    1) If you are the type of surfer who loves to try to get "air", then I would say kitesurfing is a natural progression.
    2) This is an activity that really needs upper body strength. Expect strong pulls from those chords.

As for myself, at age 64 (soon), I would be a late comer to kitesurfing. But were I 34, I would definitely give it a try. Perfect for flat days.

11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I have no interest in flat water kiting, or kiting just for the big hops. Kit surfing, however, blows paddle surfing away. The speed, the power, the ability to get out quickly and make sections... makes surfing look like riding a tricycle.

12. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Are you inviting to teach us?

13. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Staight up NOOOOOOOOO!

14. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I rarely see them here, mostly only during the summer time. I get to the beach and I see them setting up. When I get out of the water they're still setting up.

15. surfin

surfin Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    if you ever see me out in the break , and we stop to chat , and become some what friends in the water , sure, i would throw you a lesson , but as a stranger you may need to fork out a buck or 2 just to make sure your really interested .

16. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Exact reason why I never got into it. It's like taking all the stuff you go surfing with and then tripling it. I'd probably try it as a lesson or something while on vacation, that way I wouldn't have to haul and set up gear. It does look fun, but just too much gear much for me.

17. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I'll never forget about 6 years ago I was lifeguarding and this guy lost his kite and it stuck up against a dune fence on a ripping south wind day.

The Fookin thing stayed there for about 2 minutes. It was reallllllly windy and sustained.

Then there was a massive pop/boom and then a gasp from everyone on the beach.

The guy was walking over to it when it burst. I have never seen a more dejected man in my life. Head immediately down. He kept his cool though and salvaged the thing but wow.

18. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I thought this was a windsurfing thread,i figure its basically the same shyt except not on a wave.i always see the guys in the bay with those set ups theyl fly up 100ft in the air in 2 seconds.i think I would die if I tried it.

not a kooky thing