WTF happened to my glasses?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by DonQ, Jun 30, 2015.

1. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I keep going through sunglasses. Breaking them, losing them, wearing them out. Lately I've been settling on the cheap brands because I am the worst when it comes to taking care of my ship. I don't mean the ultra cheap cause I still prefer a certain style and quality. Plastic lenses tend to be the worst for wear. The lenses get scratched, de-laminate and ultimately get lost but at that point I don't really care. There was a time when I would spend up to a couple hund on a pair of quality polorized glasses, but the more I tried to take care of them I would bust them in a month or so. Taking care of your eyes is so important in the sun. Most of the good manufactures offer prescription lenses but can be astronomical in cost. I'm not there yet for PSG's just need reading glasses and for them I just get the cheaters. It happens to most like it or not. Getting fed up with the junk and ready to get a quality pair again. Hopefully I can hold on to these, for a while anyway. Do yall get the goods or settle for the lesser? Have the same issues? Good to see ya's!

2. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The pendulum is swinging the other way for me went expensive, then cheap, then major cheap, piggly wiggly cheap, now back to half way expensive Hobie's. Check out Seshday. They have some nice deals going on.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

3. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    try discount stores like Ross, Marshall's or TJ Maxx. Designer sunglasses (Oscar de la Renta, Michael Cole, etc) for cheep, usually less than $20. No surfer "name" glasses though.

4. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Anarchy sunglasses is going out of business or have already folded. Cheap good sunglasses. If you can find them they're dirt cheap.

Sunclouds are also a quality polarized set for cheap. Amazon is your friend. You gotta get polarized or don't even bother.

5. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    I know some fishermen/surfers who are dealing with cataracts due to exposure to the sun. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for quality shades. I always break the cheap ones in a month. Like the others said check out amazon. You only get one set of eyes, at least for now.

6. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Not keeping up with and caring for shades aside...I stepped up a couple of years ago and went big with script sunglasses. It is way worth it IMO.

7. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I pay around 80 bones for a nice pair of polarized glasses. They last about 2 years for me. $40 a year for protecting your eyes is well worth it to me.

8. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Mr. Sniffer, I will protect your eyes for $30 a year. Seldom might say he'll do it for $20, but he's of poor quality protection. I protect excellent.

Give me a try and bag the glasses.

9. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Mr. Sniffer, I will protect your eyes for $30 a year. Seldom might say he'll do it for $20, but he's of poor quality protection. I protect excellent.

Give me a try and bag the glasses.

10. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    two pairs of Oakley Holbrooks and a pair of Maui Jims broken in less than a year.

I did have a golf tournament the day after I broke my Maui Jims. New Polarized Holbrooks were included in the gift bag. Lets see how long these last!

11. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014

12. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    polarized glass lenses are pretty much worth the price

ymmv

13. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    If u can bring Carli to the table and her Sunday Sauce, u got a deal.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  14. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    The sunglasses that killed the most when they broke was some Maui Jim's with titanium frames. Super light weight frames with glass lenses. Had them for a few months too. Great eye coverage but definitely not worth the coin, very fragile. Accidentally dropped them one day and cracked a lense. Stupid, I know but I never liked the string thingies. The warranty cost was almost the price of the replacements. So sad, but when I do jump in again to a higher price spectacles, something with a warranty has to be an option.

15. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Did the same thing to mine. Was bending over to tie my shoe or something, they fell right off my head on to the cement...lens down. Last time I drop 220 on some shades...

On that note, I have a perfectly good right lens and Frame (Titanium Island time) if anyone needs :)

16. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    [video=youtube_share;xYQlDRMhsPI]http://youtu.be/xYQlDRMhsPI[/video]

17. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I get the goods, 200 goes a long way if you take care of them. Last couple pair are made by Electric, also had Anarchy, Oakley, etc. All worth it, and definitely get polarized.