Zosea Takeover of ASP Article....

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Erock, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
  2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Interesting read.

The unanswered questions are so many. So ZoSea takes over, cuts the sponsorship bucks from $3 mil to $1 mil per event & then what...I suppose it will all make sense in time, but right now, how this thing will line out is a complete mystery when you look at it from the numbers standpoint.

Thx for posting, Erock.

3. still stoked

still stoked Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Excellent article and it sounded like good reporting too. It may very well turn out to be a savvy and shrewd move. Pro surfing has a very limited future if it's supported by the sale of merchandise. Bikinis and tee shirts may be high margin items but they only get you so far. This deal looks like a media play and if done right and financed adequately I'd bet it pays off handsomely over time.

If Dirk Ziff (Ziff Davis publishing) is the one financing it, he can obviously afford to be patient and come up with additional capital if needed. Every major sport gets a large part of their revenue from media contracts. Surfing is never going to have that in this country.......Fuel TV? However Fuel TV Australia broadcasts surfing. There is probably a market in Brazil and if the Chinese ever get stoked, watch out!

Webcasts are going to become more and more prevalent and more and more popular. I think pro surfing translates pretty well as a webcast. I don't know what kind of ratings they get but I suspect they're better than expected which may be what got Ziff's attention. As picture quality and camera work improves the audience will grow, and it's a global audience.

In the comments below the article, the comment from Lisa was interesting and on target I think. Surfing will always be a niche market, but a global niche could be a big ass market.

4. Brandon_Roth

Brandon_Roth New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Exactly, just look at the UFC for example. Niche market for sure, but it's going global, already big in several countries and it just keeps growing. Huge money and most of it comes from the TV contracts.

6. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Hey, Quiksilver made financial news headlines on Friday of last week... although they were referred to as an "outdoor apparel company." haha

7. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Erocker, Don't think I don't know.

You have been conspicously absent from Swellinfo.com ever since Jenelle got out of jail. Man, you Judas son b!tch. I can't believe you betrayed me like that.

8. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2013
    quiksilver is a lifestyle company now.

9. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    LOL, sorry man. I don't know what it is, all that talking you did about her awakened my slumbering inner redneck--now I can't get enough cray-cray. I mean, just the other day she kept telling me to put a baby in her ear! I told her Lou was only being figurative when he put that line in his song, but whatever.

Don't worry Bill, she's all about open relationships and her current boyfriend is too doped out on pills to lift a finger, much less a B====D.

In all seriousness, I've been too busy to post much lately.

Back on subject: Zosea had a pretty big hand in this year's Teahupo'o contest and it seems the transition is going fairly smoothly. Now we get to see how they handle having a Men's and Women's event in France, but maybe they'll back off some since Quik has money in the bank now.