LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cali road trip

Images
    For a month i would say 1500-2000 my friends that are doing two weeks total are spending between 500-1000. You would have to camp for the most part or find friends to stay with.

Quote Originally Posted by retrosurfvb View Post
    Anybody ever done the full drive from the East Coast to West? What's it like? I'm trying to plan a trip for this summer
    yeahi have we did a cross country trip a few years ago and its nice out west...takes a lot of energy tho to drive allthe way out there but its worth it .. just make sure you have epople there to occupy ya.

I hitch hiked from the East Coast to the West Coast many, many years ago. Left with $70 in my pocket and returned with something like $20. Spent two weeks including 3 days in old Ensenada bodysurfing, sleeping on the beach and having fun at the carnival that was underway.

ive driven back and forth more times than i can count, most of the trip on I40. the key is to be prepared (watch the weather) and stick to a schedule... i do 18 hrs the first day, 16 hrs the 2nd day and then the third day is whatevers left... sometimes 8 hrs sometimes 20. it makes a big difference if you are driving something that hauls ass too. definitely invest in a valentine 1 radar detector and dont speed thru VA! oklahoma and texas sucks balls. the trip from SD north is great, so is SD south if you want to check out baja but be careful

Images
    Is it just me? Or does anyone else not care about seeing the west coast? Maybe a little... but there's too much more to explore on our shores..

.. but the hitchhiking thing sounds pretty fun... Into The Wild, but not to Alaska

Road Trip

I did the trip from D.C. out to Cali, up the coast and back to D.C. It took about three weeks and me and a friend saw a lot. It cost about $800-$1000 because we didn't stay at any hotels, just with friends and at campground.

We drove straight on I-70 to Illinios then cut down to I-44 until about Sante Fe, New Mexico. It took about 2 days of 14 hours a day of driving to get there but to be honest there is much between here and New Mexico that is worth seeing. After that we stopped Grand Canyon, Zion, Yosemite, Redwood, Seattle, Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton. Is really depends what you want to do because ultimately there is too much to see in one trip but I would just recommend finding Kampgrounds of America or State Park or National Park campgrounds on the way to save money (maybe splurge on one night in Vegas).

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ECsponger View Post
    Is it just me? Or does anyone else not care about seeing the west coast? Maybe a little... but there's too much more to explore on our shores..

.. but the hitchhiking thing sounds pretty fun... Into The Wild, but not to Alaska

You have obviously never been to the West before? You don't know what you are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by ECsponger View Post

I think its just you.

i did it 2x. everybody should see the whole country like that at least once. as previously states, the middle states are pretty boring but the Rockies are so cool to drive through.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by windswellsucks View Post
    ive driven back and forth more times than i can count, most of the trip on I40. the key is to be prepared (watch the weather) and stick to a schedule... i do 18 hrs the first day, 16 hrs the 2nd day and then the third day is whatevers left... sometimes 8 hrs sometimes 20. it makes a big difference if you are driving something that hauls ass too. definitely invest in a valentine 1 radar detector and dont speed thru VA! oklahoma and texas sucks balls. the trip from SD north is great, so is SD south if you want to check out baja but be careful
    Dont forget how much Tennessee sucks on I-40. Takes FOREVER to drive through and you still feel like you haven't left the east. I've done it twice, once in a van we could sleep in the back, once in an old honda civic which when gas was under a buck. I think our gas budget for the entire round trip that time was about $100!